Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner

Knocking noise rear left of the car and rocco rattle

41K views 58 replies 25 participants last post by  Gueshoo 
#1 ·
I have searched and searched and not found a thread on this so if a thread already exists then please point me in the right direction!

I have a knocking noise that appears to be either in the boot or more likely in the rear passenger side wheel arch. It appears and disappears over time and the most frustrating thing about it is that I cannot replicate it with any particular movement so I cannot be any more specific than a generic knocking noise from the generic back left hand corner of the car when doing some generic speed!!!

If anyone is genius enough to figure this one out from the piss poor information I have provided then they will truly be a god!

#3 ·
Hiya All,

Was cruising around on weekend and noticed a rattle.... >2k mile GT .... Now I've heard the dam thing its driving me totally crazy!!!

Originally thought it might just be stone chips being thrown up by tyres... but alas its definitely a rattle...

Seems to be coming from panel next to rear seat behind driver... checked seat belt, seat securely locked and all that... noise seems to correlate with going over poor road surface (pretty my all roads nowadays) .... its almost like the panel isn't pinned securely?

Off to dealer today [joy].... Just wondered if anyone else has had this??

#5 ·
hi chris,

i've got the exact same problem. did post a reply the other day but as ED said some posts have been lost.

First sounded like a knocking in the passenger door area - loose cables / wiring ?. Now seems to be more towards the rear left quarter.

Had it booked in to dealer workshop but knocking disappeared after a professional detail ?????????

It's now back with avengence - will be booking it in again next week unless i can figure it out myself.

Have you had any luck yourself mate ?

#6 ·
I had a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the left rear/ boot area. After looking under the carpet in the boot I noticed a towing eye in the spare wheel tool holder that wasn't secure.I've moved it and the rattle is gone. :thumbup:

#7 ·
Thanks for all the thoughts - I have done some prodding and poking and still can't find the bloody rattle ... As soon as I get some time I will book it into the dealer so that they can go for a drive in it and then hand it back to me in the same state as they received it !!!

#8 ·
Sorry for the delay in the update .... Good news for me... Was in and out of dealer in less than half an hour with rattle fixed!!!

Mine was coming from what I thought was panel next to rear passenger seat, drivers side.....

Anyway turned out to be the drivers door catch... the mechanic at the dealer says its quite common... door seal becomes slightly compressed after month or two of use, then because of positioning of 'hook-ie thing'' (on the body), that the door catch grips, it no longer sits flush and rattles.... He must have only moved it 2mm and problem sorted!!

Good luck all!

#10 ·
sebuk said:
Good news for me... Was in and out of dealer in less than half an hour with rattle fixed!!!

Mine was coming from what I thought was panel next to rear passenger seat, drivers side.....

Anyway turned out to be the drivers door catch...
Great post Sebuk, thank you.

Took mine into the 'car hospital' this morning, rattle / knock all the way there as usual....

THEN... the minute the mechanic / engineer sits in the car to 'witness' the knock - - - deafly silence!!!!!!!!

CAN. NOT. FRIGGIN'. BELIEVE. IT.

Anyway, he said he did hear a knock as we set off from the car park which makes me feel better, he was pulling on the door as soon as he got in so thinking that might have 'fixed' it for the test run - hence, the knock disappeared.

Car is still at the dealers now, waiting for them to tell me they can't find anything wrong and it's fine... ha ha ha :lol:

Will keep you updated on my progress

#16 ·
Just had mine in for it's first service and mentioned a noise in the area described here. They said it was the tool kit loose in the spare wheel. Rattle had gone when I picked up the car but had returned when I got to work this morning. I am going to drive home with the tool kit in the car and see if the rattle is still there.

#17 ·
denmade said:
dealership couldn't find anything wrong. noise has stayed away so far (about 6 miles in car)...
the noise returned at about 20 miles. fiddled with the door catches and also gas strut on the left side of the boot - seems to have damped it down but it does come back intermittently

will just have to see what happens over the next few days & weeks, for now the best fix is my radio ;) :lol:

#21 ·
I've had a similar knocking rattle in my car,the noise is coming from under the nearside back window. The car has been in the dealers about five times now.
It went in again yesterday and they reckon it is a problem with a steel panel that is spot welded together and is just creaking.
Car will be in for few days now as they have to contact VW in Germany.
They gave me a 2010 1.4 Golf, which has no power at all :thumbdown:
Cant wait to get my Roc back.

#23 ·
manchester buck said:
Typical - the noise has stopped over the past week and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong!
:eek: :evil:

denmade said:
THEN... the minute the mechanic / engineer sits in the car to 'witness' the knock - - - deafly silence!!!!!!!!

CAN. NOT. FRIGGIN'. BELIEVE. IT.
i feel your pain mate :lol: :doh: c'est la vie!

#24 ·
I had the same issue when i first got the car. Went to the delears and well they got the problem fixed. Turns out one of the black screws in the boot was loose so they tightened it. Alot of people had that problem so you might want to check it out :think:

#25 ·
Well my car is still at the dealers. VW Germany have said there is no issue with faulty spot welds so mine must be a one. The dealer has been instructed by VW Germany to pin point exactly where the noise is coming from. They are using some electronic device to find it. Then they will bond it together, does that sound right to you guys ?
I asked if other spot weld could come loose on the car but they said they would of come loose by now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.