Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner

Knocking noise rear left of the car and rocco rattle

41K views 58 replies 25 participants last post by  Gueshoo 
#1 ·
I have searched and searched and not found a thread on this so if a thread already exists then please point me in the right direction!

I have a knocking noise that appears to be either in the boot or more likely in the rear passenger side wheel arch. It appears and disappears over time and the most frustrating thing about it is that I cannot replicate it with any particular movement so I cannot be any more specific than a generic knocking noise from the generic back left hand corner of the car when doing some generic speed!!!

If anyone is genius enough to figure this one out from the piss poor information I have provided then they will truly be a god!

#33 ·
Hello all,
I had the same problem with rear rattle/knocking noise coming from the rear of the car under bumby roads/speed bumps. After several service visits with no solution to the problem, i have insisted in replacing the rear shock absorbers. Despite the fact that the dealer insisted that the noise cannot be generated by the rear struts (as the vehicle had only a milleage of 2800km), replacement of the shocks resolved the problem. After replacement no noise can be heard from the rear side of the vehicle from that moment on. We concluded that the noise is generated by faulty shock absorbes (abnormal freeplay in the main axle of the strut).
I hope this information will help others solve the knocking noise or rattle noise coming from the rear of the car on bumby or rough roads.

PS: I searched a solution to this problem on many Scirocco forums, but didn't found this solution on any of them, and it seems that a lot of scirocco owners are confronting with this annoying problem.

#34 ·
I have it too , it only happened three times so far , ( my car has 2600 miles on the clock now ) , the first time i thought i have drove over something on the road ( but i have seen nothing ) it sounded like some big chunk of metal had hit the car in the back i have checked the car and there was no visible damage , the second time it sounded like there is something loose in the boot of the car , checked everything and there is nothing loose , third time the same noise and i thought that one of the wheels might be coming loose ( got the winter steelies on ) but no they are securely in the place , it drives me mad and i dont feel safe when driving the car , the problem is that i cannot replicate the sound if i want too it only happens every couple of weeks ( usualy when cornering ) if i take it to VW there is a very small chance that i be able to show them or replicate the sound , not happy . :thumbdown:

#41 ·
Hi all,

These boot rattles were driving me mad as well and with VW dealers absolutely clueless to sort them out, I stripped the boot interior this morning and I think I have found the source of the boot rattle evil...

On the left is a control module which I think is for the rear airbags. This was fitted so poorly and rattled freely while I push/pulled on it.

Youtube Clip:

For the left module, I stuffed some soft foam on all the corners and used duct tape to tape it down securely. It is now absolutely dead quiet.
On the right module, I removed the module from the white cradle, taped the cradle securely to the body and then refitted the module and taped that as well with duct tape. Again, no more rattles.
I will take it for a drive later today and see if that has sorted the rattle problem. They were very poorly fitted and rattled loudly so I am sure they were the cause. :pray:

#42 ·
and how did you remove the big black panel on the left and right side to access the module? :think:

I was lookin today the same thing, but I don know how to remove it :think:

EDIT: I tried to stick my hand trought the hole where you change the lights, but there is nothing where your module is :think:

#43 ·
Hi Komar,

Removing the plastic trim in the boot is fairly easy.
First undo the M10 nut to remove the trim right at the back that surrounds the boot catch. Pull the trim away and upwards to remove. This allows you to remove the lower carpet sides below the left and right trims.

Then undo the 3 torx screws on the plastic trims as pictured below. There is a plastic hook that hides one of the screws but it pulls off easily.
There is a clip at the back of the plastic trim that holds it quite secure but it will give way with some gentle force.
Once you have removed the trim, pull away the carpet sides from the seats towards the back. There are a few clips holding them in place but they release easily.

I hope this helps... :thumbup:

Reactions: northernscirocco
#45 ·
Great news peeps... I can confirm that my car is now boot rattle free :D

I use the very bumpy A505 to commute to work which drove me bonkers due to all the rattles but today not even a squeak came from the boot.
I think the module on the left is the main culprit as it was banging against the bodywork causing loud rattles.

What annoys me though is that we have paid a fair amount of money for our cars and then VW goes and use these poor quality mounting methods and in general, poor build quality.
Also, the VW dealerships for employing retards or "technicians" who have no pride in their workmanship that after two visits to fix these rattles, they could not sort it out. :angry-cussing: :angry-cussing:

It took me 30 minutes to fix this.

#46 ·
fixed my boot rattle :)

although after a 200 mile round trip this weekend ive noticed that with a passenger the passenger sides seems to rattle and creak a awful lot, sounds like its coming from the door card, rear quater and the seats, like a palstic trim is loose or something

any ideas?
Im booking my car into VW this week due tot he boot release not releasing properly so i can ask them to look in to it

Also my tsi is coming up to 35k miles about due its anual service , but i think it has a slight miss fire sometimes. i tried to overtake earlier in second gear and i got 2 pops and a lag of pwoer before it kicked in

Any ideas on this? maybe needs plugs replacing or a coilpack?

#47 ·
ScottyRoc said:
NT-Rocco said:
fixed my boot rattle :)

although after a 200 mile round trip this weekend ive noticed that with a passenger the passenger sides seems to rattle and creak a awful lot, sounds like its coming from the door card, rear quater and the seats, like a palstic trim is loose or something

any ideas?
Im booking my car into VW this week due tot he boot release not releasing properly so i can ask them to look in to it
The Scirocco has a tendancy to twist a little more than most cars due to the rim less doors so I think some of the creaking is down to that.

NT-Rocco said:
Also my tsi is coming up to 35k miles about due its anual service , but i think it has a slight miss fire sometimes. i tried to overtake earlier in second gear and i got 2 pops and a lag of pwoer before it kicked in

Any ideas on this? maybe needs plugs replacing or a coilpack?
Are you sure it just wasn't your traction control working? If not then yes, check the coil packs first although they are not really prone to failure on the Scirocco too much tbh. Always worth checking the plugs :thumbup:
I.had the car code read today. only bought up the dampers.because I've got.Einstein. and the.boot latch which seems fine.now he.cleared the code! as for coils there fine. he so ill try plugs first along with a service :)

#48 ·
booked in for the dealers next week to check my car,

noise coming from NS door/seat, b pillar/c piller im not sure ha,

#49 ·
Hey buddy,
having a couple of rattles myself and having to walk the dealer through everything. They eventually called HQ in Dublin to
sort out my dash rattle. Back to the rattle in the rear left. I'm having the same and initially though it was the coat hook
but we figured out yesterday the noise is coming from both sides and it's the plastic panel housing the airbag that's the
culprit.

Worth getting your dealer to check that out for you too. Mine is booked in again for next week so I have no fix to detail
as yet. I presume some insulating tape/foam will be used. I just hope they don't scre up the airbag on me. WIll keep ya posted...

#50 ·
Fixed my boot rattle yesterday :D After checking the rubber stops and struts for anything untoward, checking all the trim and stuff, removing the parcel shelf and anything else potentially loose I was on the verge of ringing the stealers.... then found my locking wheel bolt key had popped out of the rubber and was loose under the carpet :oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.