Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner

Knocking noise rear left of the car and rocco rattle

41K views 58 replies 25 participants last post by  Gueshoo 
#1 ·
I have searched and searched and not found a thread on this so if a thread already exists then please point me in the right direction!

I have a knocking noise that appears to be either in the boot or more likely in the rear passenger side wheel arch. It appears and disappears over time and the most frustrating thing about it is that I cannot replicate it with any particular movement so I cannot be any more specific than a generic knocking noise from the generic back left hand corner of the car when doing some generic speed!!!

If anyone is genius enough to figure this one out from the piss poor information I have provided then they will truly be a god!

#52 ·
Dealers replaced my boot catch. But told me that rattles are only covered in.the first 6000 miles so cos there.want anything obvious making the.noise they want to charge me 150 to strip the.trim off and look for what the.noise is... think ill do.this myself lol

#53 ·
BillC said:
I spoke too soon. The knocking from rear n/s is back same as before :thumbdown:
And fixed again (fingers crossed). I've not been able to adjust the rubber-stopper-plunger thingies (techie speak) because no matter what size allen key I bung up there they just won't engage. I've just put a couple of self-adhesive foam pads (Sellotape "Fixer Strip") to the black bits where the stoppers meet the bodywork and the knocking has completely stopped. So that was clearly the issue and I'll get the stealers to adjust the stoppers properly next time I'm in for a service. I think we're done for now though (again) :D

#55 ·
Herewith one stopper-rubber-plunger-type-thing which have a hole in the end where you can bung in an allen key for adjustment - which mine won't so...

.... herewith the black-plasticcy-round-type-thingie on the bodywork where it meets the aforementioned plunger-rubber-stoppy-widget thingie. I've temporarily added two thin foam pads to these (the ******-squarey-sticky-foam-thingies) until I get the stealers to adjust the rubber-plunger-type things properly:

Apologies for the quality of the imagey-picture-type-thingies from telephoniccy-transmitty-thingie :shock:

#57 ·
Yes adjusted it and doesnt do it as much . wd40 stopped squeaking but still there slightly but is deffo that!

£10 from dealer for new ones. or wait around for ahour and theyll fit and supply them FOC :\

#58 ·
jverdoes said:
Hi all,

These boot rattles were driving me mad as well and with VW dealers absolutely clueless to sort them out, I stripped the boot interior this morning and I think I have found the source of the boot rattle evil...

On the left is a control module which I think is for the rear airbags. This was fitted so poorly and rattled freely while I push/pulled on it.

Youtube Clip:

For the left module, I stuffed some soft foam on all the corners and used duct tape to tape it down securely. It is now absolutely dead quiet.
On the right module, I removed the module from the white cradle, taped the cradle securely to the body and then refitted the module and taped that as well with duct tape. Again, no more rattles.
I will take it for a drive later today and see if that has sorted the rattle problem. They were very poorly fitted and rattled loudly so I am sure they were the cause. :pray:
My Roc does not seem to have this airbag module at all in that area? Normal?? Cant seem to find the damn rattle!! :problem:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.