Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner

Super chip or Revo software

17K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  wigit 
#1 ·
Im after tuning the 2.0 sciroc these are my options so far, Bluefin Superchip, Revo software, both soon to be released so ive heard, what u think :mrgreen: ?

#3 ·
have spoken to both, superchips have sent me the prelim data but had a query given their base car bhp figures seem a bit high, the best thread i have found on a forum is below which covers the pros and cons quite well, revo are working on it as well as APS, all showing roughly 40-50bhp for the 2.0GT, there are differences in cost, how original maps are dealt with and the map themselves which may suit peoples needs more

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/vw-golf- ... f-gti.html

i know a lot of people on a mark 5 forum who are pleased with bluefin aswell as revo, personally based on GTI maps more likely to go bluefin as map more suited to road use (linear torque), with bluefin you can remove the map off, keep your handset and upgrade your new car

i really rate the above thread

#4 ·
i have a question thats always in my head about these chips with more bhp 2 ur engine is it goin 2 make it weak and if a turbo blows and still under vw warrenty they will not cover it and that will cost a fortune 2 sort

#5 ·
turbo you have to be comfortable with these things, the reason for that thread post was it went through all the main players pros and cons etc, no doubt there are warranty issues but i alos know main delears who run remapped cars and some who in deed offer upgrades, advice would

#6 ·
Another option to consider is the GIAC tuning software. It's been tried and tested on the Golf GTI MkV and other 2.0TFSi/TSI engined cars and all the reports I've heard/read have been very favourable.

I've spoken to Star Performance and VW Speed about it, and although the Scirocco is not currently listed by GIAC, they both said that it wouldn't be a problem, it might just take a few days to get the necessary files back from GIAC.

My Scirocco is due for delivery in the first week of Feb, and I've already discounted the Bluefin personally because it's too limited compared to the Revo or GIAC. It also increments the Flash Counter on the ECU which the GIAC doesn't (unsure about the Revo). Like the Revo you can also detune your engine with the GIAC, which is great for me when I'm crawling at 0-10mph to work each morning. The GIAC also allows you to switch programs while driving, so I can have it detuned through city-traffic and then crank it up when I hit clear roads.

It loses out a bit to the Revo on customisation if you go for the Revo Select, as you can't change specific settings.

Still might be worth considering. Check out the links below for more info:

http://www.giacusa.com - GIACs website
http://www.starperformance.co.uk - Star Performance (Kirkcaldy)
http://www.vwspeed.co.uk - VW Speed (Norwich) better off phoning or emailing though as the info on the website is very limited...

#7 ·
the flash counter issue is not an issue i have been told (that amongst other things made me nervous), in reality don't think any uk tuner has actually released anything to buy, APS i know are doing something this month on a car i know, i've got the intial outputs for superchips as they sent them to me, Revo also similar

horses for courses really of what you want and how you control it, i'll check GIAC out though so cheers, think i went to a rolling road day at star performance many moons ago, has anyone used chipped uk?

will be good to get a few remapped cars one day to see the differences though

#10 ·
The things for me are two fold...

1. I am having a diesel
2. It is a lease car

So at 140bhp, I would really like 170bhp(ish) but I am obviously converned becuase I cant tell the insurance (it is company group insurance) or the lease company what I am doing, so I could do with a plug in version really, and I can take it out when it gets serviced. The fact that the car would not be legal raises a few issues with me.

Food for thought for me really, 140bhp just isnt enough

#13 ·
_jon said:
Hi, 1st post here.

I'm in a similar situation as BigDawgBaker. Anyone have any ideas?
Tuning box, it's the only way to go... easily removed and you don't have to touch the original ECU. Make sure you get a decent one though..

I've had two Dragon Performance boxes, one on a 2.0 TDI 140 A3 and the other a 2.0 3-Series. Both upped bhp by about 30-40 and torque was loads better, plus mpg improved of all things and no black smoke, which you tend to get with cheaper boxes just upping the fuel mixture.

well worth the money!

#18 ·
I checked with REVO in January ref mapping my TDI, they were really keen at the time and was told to call after collection, therefore i called last week, and it seemed their get up and go, had got up and gone! They wanted me to drive all the way to Daventry, so they could take a reading, but couldn't give me any kind of timescale as to when they could complete the job.

Their reason for this is that they had too many projects ongoing at the moment, and development had gone to the bottom of the pile.

Al

#19 ·
APS are great. The absolute best of the old AmD.

Vagcheck in Staines are definitely worth checking out too and would be a first port of call for me as I know the guys and they are total VAG enthusiasts and very professional. Wak is a legend in TT circles.

Personally, I wouldn't touch Revo with a 10 foot pole - On the Mk1 TT, if you have the trial it doesn't disappear but sticks your car in lower boost afterwards, and I don't like their (lack of) business ethics since they nicked their code from APR in the first place. And anyone who does remaps in pub car parks has to be dodgy

#20 ·
R6BTT a friend of mine mentioned similar experiences after a revo test, revo seem busy developing other things and not releasing a rocco map, APS would have got my thumbs up but wanted to return to standard, superchips on the other hand very keen and 2,500 miles post map loving it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.