Advertise      Register      Login
You are currently viewing SciroccoNet as a guest. Register or login to remove this message.
NOT REGISTERED YET? DO IT NOW TO ACCESS FULL CONTENT - IT'S FREE!

Get the full SciroccoNet experience! Be eligible to enter competitions, share your views and get access to exclusive discounts from our sponsors.
Registration only takes a couple of minutes, is completely free and always will be! Having trouble registering? Email us at info[at]scirocconet.co.uk

HOW TO - Update RNS 510

Useful guides and information for your Scirocco

Re: HOW TO - Update RNS 510

Post14 Oct 2013 14:58

PM me your address and i will get them sent out to you :thumbup:[/quote]

Did you get the PM mate
New Poster
Car: Thinking about getting one...

Google - Post body:
Scirocconet.co.uk

Post22 Oct 2013 14:56

Been reading this and a few other threads (after posting here PLEASE REGISTER OR LOGIN TO VIEW LINKS - I have the 1T0 035 680 C (H41) with stock firmware 2720 if I upgrade to 3810 does that avoid need to recode the unit (I dont have vcds)

Also as per my post, is the HDD tempstatus of 'Degraded' of concern?
New Poster
Name: Alastair
Car: 2.0 GT TDI 170BHP

Post22 Oct 2013 15:44

Sorry mate, never come across an RNS which suffers from degraded HDD temperature.

Have a look over at the VW Navi forums, you might find some guidance there.
PLEASE REGISTER OR LOGIN TO VIEW LINKS
Core Member
Name: Jordan
Car: 2.0 R TSI 265BHP

Post27 Nov 2013 21:01

I am thinking of updating my RNS510 (early 2009) car. Not having access to VCDS I am not sure I want to go through with the firmware update.

Does anyone know whether you can update just the map only, but clearly retaining 5 digit postcode display?

Cheers.
Part time Poster
Car: 2.0 GT TSI 200BHP

Post21 Dec 2013 09:37

Guys - are these disks still available please? I am not too bothered by the firmware and just want to update the map to v9.

I did bid on ebay for a map disk but it started to reach silly money.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Part time Poster

Post21 Dec 2013 12:03

Just download them with the info on page one mate?
Core Member

Post21 Dec 2013 14:53

Thanks mate, yes I saw those links a while back, but both of them have been removed now.

Was hoping to borrow one of these disks as I am still running off original V4 maps which are ancient (circa 2008!). Failing that I will keep looking on eBay as I dont want to pay stealers rate of £160 or more I think it is.

Thanks for your reply.
Part time Poster

Post21 Dec 2013 14:55

Ah - I see what you mean about the 2nd link now, it is not an active link as such! :D
Part time Poster

Post21 Dec 2013 17:00

Lol exactly ;)
Core Member

Post31 Dec 2013 17:09

Hey guys,

Newbie here in terms of updating in car stuff and would appreciate some advice as I have read sooo many different things I'm confused.....

So, the facts - recently bought 59 plate Scirocco with RNS 510. After a bit of trickery, managed to get part numbers etc:

Part no: 1T0035680C
HW-Version: H04
SW-Version: 2660
HW-Radio: 0006

There seems to be rules on which firmware can be applied to the units based on the last character of the part no but one thing I don't get is that this changes with firmware updates - surely this makes things a little tricky or am I missing something?

My main aim is to get full postcode input on nav which 4120 gives but people have reported a need to recode through VAGCOM to re-enable nav in MFD. Are there other things that could need re-enabling/configuring after the upgrade (parking sensors for example)? I don't have VAGCOM at the moment so a little reluctant to go ahead with 4120....

I have read that fw 3810_noru supports full postcode entry with certain map versions and, as its an upgrade (not sure what determines an upgrade or not), wouldn't require recoding afterwards - anyone advise whether this is true? It isn't listed in the change history for the fw on my-gti.com which makes me question it. Also read that someone upgraded to 3810_noru, lost nav in MFD, used the SWL fix iso, remained on 3810 but got the nav in MFD back - that doesn't seem to make much sense to me!

Final thing - there was mention that some people may get the error "Gateway 202" during upgrade - what does this actually mean? Just curious...!

Thanks in advance for your advice, just want to understand things clearly before attempting an upgrade...
New Poster

Post31 Dec 2013 19:53

hmmm it looks like your is a old 2009, Revision C and H04 suggest you will suffer from battery drain issues and the firmware I've linked isn't ideal for you.

As you are on 2XXX firmware, updating to 3XXX WILL require recoding, as the 3XXX firmware repartitions the HD for POI from the maps.

Worst case, try the linked download from page 1.
If it fails (or you get battery drain or things your not happy with), recover using the SWL fix (which downgrades the gateway to 1XXX firmware and allows a proper downgrade), then reinstall 2660 which you are currently on.

I can't answer if that will need recoding though...
Core Member

Post31 Dec 2013 21:09

Thanks for the quick response metal jay, much appreciated.

Is there any further info I could grab from the version info to help assess what my best option might be? I thought the battery drain issues were only on vehicles with MY07 and earlier, based on stuff I have read. I believe there is a patch/upgrade to address battery drain issues, will do some digging for where I read that...

Is all the coding stored on the hdd then, hence why it would need recoding? Is it a case that recoding involved setting a whole bunch of stuff possibly just the setting for nav in mfd?

Do you happen to know if 3810 would support full postcodes by any chance? Sounds like that might be my best option.
New Poster

Post01 Jan 2014 13:37

The battery drain is often caused by updating a RNS to a firmware which isn't supported. There a various other custom firmwares which have this feature enabled but you might have to find that yourself mate.

No the coding is stored on the unit its self, not the HD, but when the HD is repartition I'm 99% sure (from reading) that the factory coding is put back on (someone may have proven otherwise in this thread though so have a look)

Not sure if 3810 supports 7 digits, check my gti for the firmware log changes.

Sorry i can't be much help, there are companies that will do this for you though, so if your really worried, just google them :)
Core Member

Post01 Jan 2014 15:13

No worries mate, I appreciate your advice on the topic.... as I say I have read a number of things that contradict each other and just trying to get my head around it!

I'll have a look around and see what I can find - its good to know what causes the battery drain so I can try and avoid a flat battery ;)

I didn't think it would be stored on the hd, would be a recipe for disaster in my book! I will do some more research and see what I can find out... Is there a list of things that a factory firmware could affect (e.g. parking sensors, steering wheel controls etc)?

I checked my gti.com and there is nothing in the logs that explicitly mentions full postcode lookup - just "enhanced destination input" which is in 4020 - would assume that would cover it, hence the question about support in 3810.

I begrudge paying someone to do it, I'm techie minded and a bit of a tinkerer so have no problem doing it but I like to be prepped before hand and have it clear in my head what I'm doing and minimise the risk of things going wrong....
New Poster

Post01 Jan 2014 15:40

where abouts are you?
If your near by i can recode it for you if something happens.
Core Member

Post01 Jan 2014 16:13

Am in Worcestershire but have friends and family in Leicester (I spotted your in Derby) so could arrange a trip - Thanks for the offer, that would be appreciated.

Just doing some more research on vwwatercooled.com.au and there seems to be links to modded firmware 3810 and 4020 which people are claiming don't require a recode - the saga continues... Still trying to work out which is the best, thought I had found a good thread on there for identifying this but seems a little confusing:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ ... 70579.html

suggests that for my part number use 4120 (link is dead so assuming it should point to http://www.rnsfirmware.com/27/), the first comment matches my part no (other than last character) and HW version and kamold says use 4020....then further down suggests 4120 is best for a C unit.... :wtf:

Have also read on the comments about checking the HW radio version (mine is 0006) but that was for a D unit by the looks of it....
New Poster

Post01 Jan 2014 23:08

Update following my research, might help someone else if they stumble across this....

I found this thread http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/ ... 69786.html which provides all the detail about working out which revision RNS510 you have - made things a lot clearer for me. Its all determined from the HW Vehicle and HW Radio values.

There are a couple of modded firmware updates linked from the previous thread I linked to which after querying with a user known as kamold (comes across as very knowledgeable and mods the firmware himself) on the forums 4120 is fine for my unit and doesn't require any recoding. Time will tell, I will probably give it a go and see what happens - will post my findings (and worst case, will be taking you up on your kind offer of a meet for use of your VAGCOM metaljay :wink: )

I did ask about whether I would suffer any battery drain with the updates linked from their thread and he said there is no risk of battery drain on vehicles from 2008 onwards. This is inline with the info here http://www.my-gti.com/1101 so hopefully all will be good, fingers crossed....

Liked by: metaljay
New Poster

Post03 Jan 2014 19:34

Metaljay, can I just ask what made you think I might suffer from battery drain? I thought the battery drain issues only appeared if you had an old version canbus...
New Poster

Post03 Jan 2014 20:08

Thats correct, when you go through the update the last section is to update the can gateway, if your RNS isn't able to accept this update its crashes (and you have to recover using the SWL fix) which puts a hybrid firmware on (4120 for the main firmware and 1020 for the gateway), this causes a the battery drain.

Typically (from what i have read) Revision D is the first RNS which supports the newer gateway firmwares.
Core Member

Post03 Jan 2014 20:19

Ah right, that makes it a bit clearer, thanks again. I had just got to a point where I was willing to give this a go and my last step was to get hold of the 2660 firmware just in case.... Links are dead on my gti.com, let the search begin! ;)
New Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Scirocco Guides, Common Faults & Fixes