Advertise      Register      Login
You are currently viewing SciroccoNet as a guest. Register or login to remove this message.
NOT REGISTERED YET? DO IT NOW TO ACCESS FULL CONTENT - IT'S FREE!

Get the full SciroccoNet experience! Be eligible to enter competitions, share your views and get access to exclusive discounts from our sponsors.
Registration only takes a couple of minutes, is completely free and always will be! Having trouble registering? Email us at info[at]scirocconet.co.uk

What Car - All Scirocco Models

Various Scirocco related reviews: cars, parts etc

What Car - All Scirocco Models

Post13 Oct 2010 23:23

Summary

For The Scirocco has sharp lines and drives sweetly, with grippy handling, precise steering and fine engines. Rear space is OK and the prices are attractive.

Against The few drawbacks are limited to the cramped headroom in the rear seats and the dinky boot.

What Car? says - 4 out of 5 stars

Sleeker and sportier than the Golf on which it's based, yet it's still surprisingly affordable. An absolute steal.

Performance
4 out of 5 stars
We're yet to drive the most basic Scirocco, but although the next model up - with a 158bhp 1.4 petrol engine - may seem diminutive, its combination of supercharging, turbocharging and light weight gives the Scirocco real spice. The 197bhp 2.0-litre petrol engine is quicker still, and although the 2.0-litre diesel isn't as smooth as either, it can't be faulted for outright pace.

Ride & Handling
4 out of 5 stars
The Scirocco's handling is safe, grippy and predictable, complemented by plenty of steering feel and an electronic stability system that allows just enough playfulness before it applies its steadying hand. Adaptive chassis control comes as standard, which allows the driver to choose the stiffness of the suspension, the weighting of the steering and the speed of the throttle responses.

Refinement
3 out of 5 stars
Flat-out blasts only serve to confirm the Scirocco's excellent high-speed stability and negligible wind noise. The DSG semi-auto and the six-speed manual gearboxes have a positive, precise action. The petrol engines are silky-smooth, but the diesel is rougher and noisier.

Buying & Owning
4 out of 5 stars
The Scirocco is well-priced, and it will hold its value very well. Fuel consumption will suffer if you use its performance to the maximum, but take it easy and the 1.4 TSI 160’s 42.8mpg looks reasonable. Even the 2.0 TSI will return 37.2mpg, though the 2.0 TDI 140 gives the best economy, averaging 55.4mpg. Plus, to ease running costs, if you buy a Scirocco in 2010, you can get three years' servicing for a one-off fee of just £250.

Quality & Reliability
4 out of 5 stars
Plip the remote central-locking and the frameless windows drop a couple of centimetres to prevent them snagging when you open the doors. The dash and door cappings owe more to the Eos than to the Golf, but the same solid fixtures, fittings and exquisite attention to detail dominate the interior. Proven mechanicals should guarantee longevity.

Safety & Security
4 out of 5 stars
The Scirocco certainly doesn't skimp on safety equipment. Front-, side- and curtain airbags, large-diameter brakes and electronic stability control are standard. There are also active front head restraints to minimise whiplash injuries. Deadlocks and an alarm are fitted to deter thieves.

Behind The Wheel
4 out of 5 stars
Triangular door handles are a neat stylistic touch, and a touch-screen control panel for the stereo is complemented by silkily damped switches and rotary dials for the heating and ventilation systems. The door panel inserts and sports seats are finished in a classy, meshed weave, and there's a generous range of adjustment for the chunky, leather-covered, flat-bottomed steering wheel.

Space & Practicality
3 out of 5 stars
Up front, there's plenty of space, but getting into the back requires a degree of flexibility and caution to avoid banging your head. Once seated, there's a good kneeroom and plenty of space under the front seats to slide your feet. That plunging roofline, though, means headroom is tight. At 292 litres, there's just about enough room in the boot for half-a-dozen carrier bags, so you'll need to flip down at least one of the 50-50 split/fold rear seats if you want to fit in your golf bag.

Equipment
3 out of 5 stars
Along with electric windows and mirrors, a CD player and remote central locking, the Scirocco also has dual-zone climate control, a leather steering wheel and sports suspension. Six airbags, climate control and 18-inch alloy wheels are also standard, and options include a panoramic sunroof, 19-inch alloy wheels, leather trim and touch-screen satellite-navigation.

PLEASE REGISTER OR LOGIN TO VIEW LINKS
ED

VIP MEMBER
Medals: 1
Weirdo! (1)
Car: 2.0 GT TSI 200BHP

Google - Post body:
Scirocconet.co.uk

Re: What Car - All Scirocco Models

Post14 Oct 2010 11:22

And yet Evo were praising the cars ability to carry 4 people and their luggage with a decent, sensibly sized boot! :-)
Established Member
Medals: 1
Snowflake (1)
Name: James
Car: 2.0 GT TSI 210BHP

Post14 Oct 2010 23:19

??? ..."there's just about enough room in the boot for half-a-dozen carrier bags" ?

When we do the shop at weekend I get at least half a dozen carrier bags in the boot and that's with my work stuff taking up over half of the boot space. Where do they get this crap from ? :roll:
Core Member
Name: Ivor Biggun
Car: 2.0 R TSI 280BHP

Post15 Oct 2010 16:43

Golf clubs and trolley ne bother in the boot, with space for more.
Regular Poster
Car: 2.0 R TSI 280BHP

Post15 Oct 2010 18:57

For a coupe', I reckon the Scirocco is mega practical.

As I've mentioned in another thread I used to have a Honda CRX, and the rear seats were completely useless, except for midgets!

As for the boot, I've got two fairly big dogs, and when we take them out, I get them in no problem where they can sit and lie down in comfort.

Six carrier bags? My arse!

:)
Core Member
Name: Andy
Car: 2.0 GT TDI 140BHP

Post04 Aug 2011 10:11

REDMEAT wrote:For a coupe', I reckon the Scirocco is mega practical.

As I've mentioned in another thread I used to have a Honda CRX, and the rear seats were completely useless, except for midgets!

As for the boot, I've got two fairly big dogs, and when we take them out, I get them in no problem where they can sit and lie down in comfort.

Six carrier bags? My arse!

:)

Do you use a hatchbag or boot liner for your dogs?
Part time Poster
Car: 2.0 GT TSI 210BHP

Post18 Nov 2013 08:08

Magazines like What Car? are the reason the UK car market is so weird IMO. I mean who honestly needs a hatchback with an extra-high roof for instance? They just look like they're going to fall over. :wtf:

The Scirocco is also probably the most practical car I've ever owned. If you don't have kids then I can't see why you'd ever need much more room. Unless you're moving house or something - in which case I'd hire a van or borrow a family member's car...

Liked by: waffenman67
New Poster
Name: Matt
Car: 2.0 GT TSI 200BHP

Return to Scirocco Reviews