Advertise      Register      Login
You are currently viewing SciroccoNet as a guest. Register or login to remove this message.
NOT REGISTERED YET? DO IT NOW TO ACCESS FULL CONTENT - IT'S FREE!

Get the full SciroccoNet experience! Be eligible to enter competitions, share your views and get access to exclusive discounts from our sponsors.
Registration only takes a couple of minutes, is completely free and always will be! Having trouble registering? Email us at info[at]scirocconet.co.uk

HOW TO - Fit a Reverse Camera kit (LOTS of pics !)

Useful guides and information for your Scirocco

HOW TO - Fit a Reverse Camera kit (LOTS of pics !)

Post10 Sep 2013 21:00

I got a Carsystems reverse camera kit ( PLEASE REGISTER OR LOGIN TO VIEW LINKS from daver77 in the classifieds , and managed to fit it and get it all working this weekend by following the various guides on the net and a bit of help from the Elsawin manual .

PLEASE REGISTER OR LOGIN TO VIEW LINKS

This guide on Roccopedia was an good source of help > PLEASE REGISTER OR LOGIN TO VIEW LINKS , but i still needed to refer to a few different sources for the finer details . So for anyone else interested in doing the same - i thought I'd try and compile all the info in one place :thumbup:

The CarSystems Kit consists of genuine VW parts for the camera , camera housing , and retaining clip . Then there's the harness . It consists of the video signal coax and 3 wires . Black = Earth , Red = Fused permanent 12v + , Yellow = 12v+ reverse signal . The harness is about 2 metres longer than it needs to be , but this can be looped and taped behind a panel to get rid of the excess .

A mate colour coded the camera housing for me , I started by getting a little pot of paint mixed up at my local Halfords 'Mega Store' . They'll mix it up in store for an exact colour match . I just gave them the VW colour code for Candy White - LB9A and they gave me a little 200ml pot for £10 . This was more than enough for my mate to air brush the housing and have plenty left over for touch ups .

With all the parts sitting there ready , It's now the scary part came when i had to make a hole in the bumper of my brand new car !

Elsawin came i handy for the location of the various screws and clips to undo ,

removal was pretty straightforward

With the bumper off , next came the scarey bit ! . I traced around the outside of the camera housing onto masking tape, and located it centrally between the number plate lamps (there is no 'moulding template' on the GTS / R-Line bumper).
I then drilled an 8mm hole (It has the correct radius) in each of the four corners - then joined the dots with a dremel, and then finished off by filing up to the line.

the housing then just snaps in , and i fitted the camera and the retaining bracket from the kit.

The supplied harness was then connected to the camera , and routed through the right hand air-vent into the boot space and the rear bumper refitted. The next job was to connect up the Yellow wire . This need to be connected to a wire that is live when reverse gear is selected . I found it easiest just to pick up on the wire that feeds the right hand reversing light. Its the black wire with the blue tracer ( 2nd from the left ) shown here on the RHR lamp plug.

I just followed the wire back into the boot compartment and spliced the Yellow wire into it. Then it was soldered and shrink wrapped and taped to the main harness.

The it was time to start routing the cable through from the rear bumper to the head unit . I found this to be a bit of a mission to be honest - there is a LOT of trim that needs to come off in order to route the cable properly , so you can tape it next to the factory loom and avoid any annoying rattles. I find SciroccoOllie's guide online to removing the rear 1/4 trims invaluable > PLEASE REGISTER OR LOGIN TO VIEW LINKS

Boot trim removed

Rear 1/4 trim removed

The rear 1/4 trim was a right fiddly bugger ! , be careful to squeeze your fingers in and to disconnect the wire from the tweeter before you yank the panel off from its clips - otherwise you'll break something ( don't ask me how i know... :silent: )
Here's a pic of the inside of the panel showing the various clips and locator pegs

Whilst you've got the rear 1/4 off , you may as well do a proper job and remover the inner sill panel .

You can now route the harness properly under the sound deadening and next to the main harness . Then once you can get to the kick panel , you can route it behind and up next to the fuse-box . You don't need to completely remove the kick panel - its a pain in the arse anyway due to the bonnet pull . Just lift it away from the door seal and you can get your fingers in .

Ok , with that out of the way , most of the dash trims have to come off in order to A) route the video cable to the back of the head unit , and B) to wire up the remaining Black = Earth , Red = Fused permanent 12v + wires.
This time i followed this excellent online guide > PLEASE REGISTER OR LOGIN TO VIEW LINKS

You only need to buy 1 repair wire from your VW dealer - Part # V000 979 133E @ £2.32 +vat which has the correct terminal for use with the mini blade fuses in your fusebox (they come 'double ended) to connect the Red wire properly into a 'spare' socket in the fusebox. After cutting the repair wire in half , i followed the instruction is the above link to fit the terminal into the (lower) empty slot in fuse 15.

With this done , i soldered and shrink-wrapped the Red 12v+ wire from the camera harness to the newly added lead coming from fuse 15 and popped a 5amp mini blade fuse into the slot . At the same time , i put a ring terminal on the end of the remaining Black wire on the camera harness , and use the upper fuse box fixing to secure it to earth.

All that remains of the physical install now , is to run the video cable to the head unit . First i removed the head unit as described in Elsawin below .

Then i ran the video cable along the dash on the panel below the steering column ( i cable tied the cable to this panel so that there was no chance of it snagging on the steering column) then out through the hole where the head unit sits.

The video cable just plugs into the spare AV slot on the back of my RNS510 head unit.

Refitting of all the trim followed ( in reverse order of removal ) , then it was time to get the laptop and VCDS out for the necessary coding. There are 2 items of coding that are needed

• Address 10 – Coding - Byte 00 – Bit 5 : select “Rear view camera installed”
• Address 56 – Coding - Byte 03 – Bit 6 : select “Back-up camera low (without control module) installed”

The above info is fine if you know what you're doing with VCDS - but if like me , you've only just bought / borrowed your cable - then it may be a bit daunting . Fear Not ! - here is a step by step guide and its actually pretty self explanatory and quite easy to work out :thumbup:

The first thing you'll need to know , is where to plug the cable in - On the Scirocco , the diagnostic port is under the RHS of the dash , near the kick panel

Fire up the laptop , make sure you have it running on mains power (Ross-tech warns that you don't want the battery going flat half way through a coding operation !) . It's also apparently good practice to run an Autoscan and save the results - particularly if this is the first time you've connected VCDS/ Vag-Com to your car.

So , lets code the 1st module - It's doesnt matter which one you do first , but i did the park assist module first.

1) mouse over to 'Select Control Module' - click 'select' - this takes you to all the controllers fitted to your car
2) mouse over to '10-Park/Steer assist' - click on it - this takes you to Address 10
3) mouse over to 'Coding-07' - click on it - this takes you to the coding window
4) mouse over to 'long coding helper' - click on it - this takes you to the business end , where you actually change the coding of the controller

5) 'Bytes & Bits' - Line 3 is where you select the appropriate Byte . On this module we need byte 00, which is the first one in the string. Use your mouse to select the Byte you want -You know when you're on the right one when the font colour is yellow. Line 4 shows the available Bits . check the box next to Bit 5 'Rear camera Installed' . With an arrow in the check box you're ready to apply the changes . Now click on 'Exit' to save your changes to the next screen.
6) The next window that pops up gives you the options to save the changes ( to 're-code' the controller). Write down the value in the 'Current coding' box . If you make a hash of things , you can then re-enter the original coding to return the module to its original state. Click 'Do it!' to apply the new coding . You'll get a confirmation message telling you that the controller has accepted the new coding.
7) You are now returned to this screen - click 'Close controller, Go back -06'
8) this take you back to the Select control module screen - you can either pile straight into the next module , or click 'Go Back' to return right to the start.

Now that you've re-coded address 10 , you just need to code address 56 . This is done in exactly the same way , following the same pattern of steps

So that's the coding completed ! - exit VCDS , remove the cable from the diagnostic port , and put the laptop away !

The final step is to reset / reboot your head unit. Just press and hold the 3 buttons shown simultaneously , and the head unit will re-set.

Key then ignition off , then key on again and select reverse ! All being well you will see this view !

the various arrows and icons on the display , will take you to these screens

You can opt to have the parking sensor graphic , adjust the scree image , wide screen mode with no icons , or back to the parking sensors with no camera view.

There you go - all done ! I hope you find this guide useful , and realise that the rear view camera mod - really isn't that technically difficult. You just need a bit of patience and a few basic tools to get the hardware side of it done . Take your time and follow the steps above , and you'll have done all the hard work. Coding the modules is nothing to be scared of either - 5 minutes work with VCDS and you're away !

UK Lee
Last edited by uklee on 10 Sep 2013 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
14MY Candy White Scirocco GTS TDi 177 (De-Striped) . Factory Options : RNS510 DAB with Dynaudio , Parking sensors, 90% tint, Bi-Xenons, Full colour MFC, Winter Pack Mods Reverse Camera Kit, Power-fold Mirrors, Smokers Pack , Cruise Control , Puddle lights , Cup Spoiler
Regular Poster
Name: Lee
Car: 2.0 GT TDI 170BHP

Google - Post body:
Scirocconet.co.uk

Re: Reverse Camera kit - Fitted ! (LOTS of pics !)

Post10 Sep 2013 21:30

Excellent post lee :thumbup: :thumbup:
Medals: 5
Weirdo! (1) Showcase (1) Snowflake (1) H20 (1) Operation Streetwise (1)
Name: Charles
Car: 2.0 GT TSI 200BHP

Post10 Sep 2013 21:37

Glad to see you got it all working :thumbup:
Regular Poster
Name: Dave

Post10 Sep 2013 21:52

Flux wrote:Excellent post lee :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks Flux - it took me ages to write it and then edit and save all the photo's to photobucket ! - do you think it would be worth saving as a sticky ? ,If so is there a way you could save all the images locally on the forum ? - i've found in the past that pics that are externally hosted can be a bit flaky in the long term - which sort of renders a decent 'how to' guide frustratingly useless :(

Lee
14MY Candy White Scirocco GTS TDi 177 (De-Striped) . Factory Options : RNS510 DAB with Dynaudio , Parking sensors, 90% tint, Bi-Xenons, Full colour MFC, Winter Pack Mods Reverse Camera Kit, Power-fold Mirrors, Smokers Pack , Cruise Control , Puddle lights , Cup Spoiler
Regular Poster

Post11 Sep 2013 11:45

We don't have a feature for saving to the site anymore.
Medals: 5
Weirdo! (1) Showcase (1) Snowflake (1) H20 (1) Operation Streetwise (1)
Name: Charles

Post11 Sep 2013 13:20

Brilliant How-to especially for those who might be a bit apprehensive about tackling this job. Everything explained in clear detail and no assumptions made about prior knowledge. Like the humorous little asides in it as well :) Well done.
Bet the How-to took as long as the installation.
Core Member
Name: Ivor Biggun
Car: 2.0 R TSI 280BHP

Post11 Sep 2013 18:11

excellent guide!
Very useful
Core Member
Name: Jordan
Car: 2.0 R TSI 265BHP

Post11 Sep 2013 18:58

Thanks Dave, and thanks for being such a easy guy to deal with and for posting it out to me so quickly. It works great & I'm really pleased with the mod - the missus wasn't so pleased when she came home from work and found our week old car in a million bits all over the drive , she's alright now though .. Lol

Sent from PLEASE REGISTER OR LOGIN TO VIEW LINKS
Regular Poster

Re: HOW TO - Fit a Reverse Camera kit (LOTS of pics !)

Post13 Sep 2013 20:17

What's it like for vision in the dark?
Core Member

Post14 Sep 2013 00:02

ZephyR wrote:What's it like for vision in the dark?

Better than you'd think ...

This pic was taken at 9pm tonight - It's pissing down with rain & the ambient light is just normal street lighting (i live on a side street , in a residential suburb)

This pic was taken a bit later , down an unlit country lane - virtually no ambient light . The only real illumination is the reversing lights

Not the brightest of images , but bright enough to spot any hazards , and better than the view out the mirrors or back window

Lee
Regular Poster

Post14 Sep 2013 07:54

Quality job and a quality write-up! Excellent work mate, and brave on such a new motor :thumbup: :clap:

Name: Matt or Oz
Car: 2.0 R TSI 265BHP

Post14 Sep 2013 15:31

Impressed with the night vision :thumbup:
Core Member

Post05 May 2014 22:03

Thanks alot for this great how to!

I connected the + and - to the cigarete lighter
In the back that way i only had to put the video
Cable to the front

With vcds 12.12 i could find 10 and turned the camera
Option on

But 56 i couldnt find tried to turn it on but
It gave a error

So i decided to reset the rns510 and it worked anyway

Thanks alot greet post!!!!
New Poster
Car: 1.4 TSI 160BHP

Post14 Jun 2015 17:53

Out of curiosity, I see various people have retrofitted this camera, however I was confused by one thing. The wiring loom that ETKA shows for this model is completely different to the one that is supplied in many kits.

The part number is 1K8035550 - what exactly is the difference?

http://s000.tinyupload.com/download.php ... 4507854461
New Poster

Post21 Jul 2020 17:40

Old post but a great guide,well done

does anyone know if a switched live would be suitable ,i could use the 12volt supply in the boot then
New Poster
Car: 2.0 GT TDI 140BHP

Return to Scirocco Guides, Common Faults & Fixes