Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In his Budget statement to the House of Commons yesterday, Chancellor of the Exchequer Alistair Darling confirmed that a scrappage incentive scheme will be introduced.

Key Details:
* A total of £2,000 will be offered in a “cash-for-scrap” scheme for 10-year-old, or older, cars.
* The £2,000 saving will be made up of £1,000 from the government and £1,000 from the relevant car manufacturer.
* Participation in the scrappage scheme by specific car manufacturers is voluntary.
* The funding will be made up of £300million from the government â€" a figure that will be matched by manufacturers participating in the scheme.
* The scheme is expected to be introduced in mid-May.
* The scheme will run until the start of March 2010, or until all of the government funding has been used.
* The discount will be offered to consumers buying a new vehicle to replace a vehicle which they have owned for more than twelve months.
* The registered keeper must have a UK address.
* Eligible vehicles must have been first registered in the UK on or before 31 July 1999 and have a current MOT test certificate.
* Scrappage trade-ins can only be made against new cars.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wow, I sold my 11 year old Peugeot in February for £1500 so I just lost out on £500. More actually if you take into account the money I spent getting it ship shape for sale.
Still starting the whole process off in January as I did meant that I ordered my Roc before the price increase so it's swings and roundabouts really.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Thanks for all that - very helpful.
I was wondering whether we could use my son's J reg Citroen AX to get £2000 for free against my Roc that's on order - he's having my MG ZR when the Roc comes. But the Citroen's MOT is up in May and will probably cost lots to get it thru. Also as the Citroen is not registered in my name I don't think we would be eligible anyway. On top of that I don't know whether it could be applied to existing orders.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
the catch is according to rumour:

must have owned shed for 1yr on log book
log book must agree with sales documents
shed must be registered b4 1st july 1999
shed must be scrapped

most vw cars of this age will be worth 2k or thereabouts anyway on private sale

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
business manager said:
the catch is according to rumour:

must have owned shed for 1yr on log book
log book must agree with sales documents
shed must be registered b4 1st july 1999
shed must be scrapped

most vw cars of this age will be worth 2k or thereabouts anyway on private sale
thought ther must be something,

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UK PRESS RELEASE:

VOLKSWAGEN UK RESPONSE TO CAR SCRAPPAGE SCHEME

The Government has announced in the Budget that there will be a Car Scrappage Scheme which will start in the middle of May.

Volkswagen UK recognises the potential benefits to motorists and the environment, with the scheme helping to remove older cars from our roads, while replacing them with safer and more environmentally-friendly models. We welcome the initiative and intend to participate in the scheme.

Exact details of Volkswagen’s participation in the scheme will be announced to potential customers in due course.

In the meantime, buyers will be encouraged to register their interest in purchasing a new Volkswagen with the help of the scrappage scheme at their local Volkswagen Retailer.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
oh and I wouldn't get too excited just yet its bound to be emissions based so the chance of getting 2k for a pretty clean AX against a 2.0tsi emissions machine is pretty slim I reckon. I think the benchmark will be 120 or 130 co2's which might bring a 'roc diesel in but as manufacturer has to contribute 1k towards it I doubt they'll include niche/factory order etc etc

It'll make a polo bluemotion cheap though :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I thought the prime mover behind this scheme was to help the car industry shift some metal - not really on environmental grounds.
Oh and regarding "a pretty clean AX" I'm not so sure its that clean. It has a distributor and a manual choke and might even have a carb ( :shock: )

·
Registered
20 Posts
One point; only £1k comes from Mr.Brown and his cronies with the other £1k coming from the manufacturer/dealer.
In practice what this means is that you get a minimum discount of £1k from the dealer.
In my case I'd already negotiated a discount of more than £1k, obviously the dealer won't give me another £1k over and above this so if I do use the scrapping scheme I'll only gain the £1k from the government.
As usual with this government things are not quite what they at first seem!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
VW Official response announced yesterday:

VOLKSWAGEN UK ANNOUNCES SCRAPPAGE SCHEME OFFERS

Following the announcement by the Government that a scrappage incentive is to be introduced for buyers trading in a ten-year-old car for a new model, Volkswagen UK is pleased to announce details of its participation. This scheme will help remove older cars from our roads, replacing them with safer and more environmentally-friendly models.

All vehicles in the Volkswagen range are included under the scheme which commences on Monday (18 May) and offers a discount of at least £2,000 off the price of a new vehicle. This means that Volkswagen ownership is available from just £4,845 (RRP on the road) for the Fox city car.

Offering superb levels of build quality, refinement and safety levels, the Polo supermini will be available from £6,345, while the Golf, recently crowned World Car of the Year, can be driven away for as little as £11,585.

For a vehicle to be eligible for the scrappage scheme discount it must have been registered on or before 31st August 1999, have been owned for a minimum of one year and must then be scrapped. The offer applies to new vehicles registered between 18 May 2009 and 28 February 2010, unless the Government’s fixed budget for the scheme of 300,000 vehicles runs out sooner. Full terms and conditions are available from Volkswagen Retailers or from www.volkswagen.co.uk.

Volkswagen UK will match the Government’s contribution of £1,000 towards the cost of the new car. Some models â€" depending on specification and stock levels â€" will also attract additional bonuses. For full details and to discuss the right deal for you, please visit your local Volkswagen Retailer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Been to my local dealer today (JCT 600) with my 10 year old car and he won't offer anything above the £2K towards a new Scirocco GT (VW won't permit any further doscounts according to him) even with quotes from on line etc. to compare. As a percentage discount (bearing in mind VW are only paying £1k), it's hardly competitive when I could get the same £2k off a basic VW (e.g. Polo).

On line prices still seem the best option, unless there are some competitive dealers out there?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.