Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just signed up so this is my first post. We (me and the wife) are looking at the Scirroco as the wifes lease car is up for re-newal shortly. She fell in love with it as soon as she saw it in the showroom. Currenlty have a Golf tdi sport. Kids now grown up so family car not essential any more.
The issue we have is which model. Whilst the 1.4 TSI is the cheapest, the TDI will give better economy. Driving 20k a year the TDI should give us the best overall cost. What I would ilke to know is what is the mpg we could expect from the 1.4? The daily commute is 25 miles each way, half motoroway. The offical combined figure is 42mpg I think. Is this achievable? This car should have a petrol engine, BUT need to watch the bank balance.

Also, any issues with the 1.4? Small engine - high output - short life?? I know the Scirrco is too new for long term trouble but has been in the Golf for a while.

Any info would be helpfull.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Suggest you do 2 things before making a decision:
- drive both cars and see which you prefer. Have not driven the diesel but the 1.4 TSI suits the Scirocco very well
- do your economics based on 10% less than the published fuel consumption figures for both cars remembering the TSI costs less than the TDI to buy
In terms of reliability, would not expect any particular problems with the 1.4 TSI. VW also use this engine in the Golf, Eos, Tiguan etc but I think it suits the Scirocco best of all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think with 20k a year, make sure you factor in depreciation. A high mileage diesel will hold its money better than a smaller engine petrol as the diesel is a proven engine and people know it can handle the miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The dealer can't get hold of a 1.4, only the 2.0 tsi which we drove. Drove a golf TDI 140 to get an idea of the difference between the petrol and diesel. As this is a lease car scheme through my wife's work, interestingly the lease cost for the 1.4 and the non-GT TDI is the virtually the same, within pennies!! even thought the purchase cost of the 1.4 is about £700 less. The TDI GT is only £7 a month more than the non GT, so a no brainer there, GT wins. So taking overall cost in consideration I reckon the 1.4 would cost £25 a month (based on quoted overall figures) more on fuel than the TDI @ 20K/yr. Fav at the mo is GT TDI. will let you know what the decision is. Either this or a Golf again :( .

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wife has a Golf 1.4TSI and it is a brillant car!
Regarding the MPG it will depend how you drive it. Last year on a long weekend break to Norfolk, the Golf was returning 55MPG which was fantastic! It was only when we gave some boot on the way home that it dropped to a respectable 46MPG. still not bad!
The engine is brillant! being only the baby 122BHP version it still pulls and performs very well. The other thing is that engine is extremely low revving for a 1.4cc, I mean at a 100mph it is only revving at 3600rpm - that is less than my 2.0 TSI ROC! (only just!)
:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts