Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Have done 450 miles in mine and think it will need at least 1500 miles for the engine to bed-in and to get some meaningful consumption figures. These will of course depend on the type of driving ; for example I would only expect around 30 mpg around town.
Have decided to stick to Shell V-power as the 'multi-charger' is a high-tech engine.

·
Registered
484 Posts
mine is very bad only gettin around 400km per tank 250miles and thats not drivin it hard

·
Registered
88 Posts
Over just under 900 miles mines showing 31.7mpg on the computer. That's with probabley 80% or so of my journeys being driving in traffic - my average speed over those about 900 miles is 25mph (I think - it's around that and I can't be bothered at the moment to go outside and check!). The fuel consumption is not as good as I hoped for but the car is great to drive so I can forgive it.

Deacon

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like its very much lower that the published figures. Not good seeing as it was part of the reason i bought the car (alledgedly) an extra 10mpg over my civic type r should be easily obtainable (ctr combined 30.7mpg against scirocco 42.8 combined official figures).

·
Registered
484 Posts
what about puttin in power boost or something like that would that help

·
Registered
14 Posts
We've just road-tested the 1.4 TSI for Volkswagen Driver magazine and we returned 35.2 mpg overall (corrected, brim to brim, not just MFA figure) which includes the full performance testing and a fair degree of 'driving with verve' but it also includes one deliberate maximum economy drive (60+ miles cruising at 55-60 mph on motorway) on which we achieved a genuine (corrected) 51.4 mpg.

I think you need to bear in mind the general point that cars don't just 'do' a certain mpg regardless, it depends very much how they are driven, but that the TSI is capable of reasonable mpg even when driven hard, but is also capable of almost diesel like returns if driven gently. One cross country journey I can recall, at sensible/medium pace, returned over 38 mpg (albeit MFA figure) and while running the economy test it readily ran up to high 40s, but then took a very concerted effort to get it up over and above the 50 mpg mark.

And, of course, the official figs which are quoted are based on a standard test regime and should never to be taken too literally... ;)

Full 6-page road-test in the forthcoming June issue of Volkswagen Driver magazine: http://www.volkswagendrivermag.co.uk

Neil Birkitt
Editor, Volkswagen Driver magazine

·
Registered
14 Posts
And another point, our test car already had 4,500 miles on the clock and had been 'robustly' run-in, as are all press fleet cars.

Most brand-new cars will be rather 'stiff' at first, reluctant to provide full performance and optimum economy until the engine is loosened up, and you won't see 'realistic' / optimum figures until you get at least 10,000 miles on the clock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.