Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Im new on here and have been looking at sciroccos now for a while. Im getting close to ordering but does any1 now for sure if there is going to be a 170hp version of the diesel and if so when.

thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi time
I would say that the 170 would be the next step for the scirocco Diesel.
I`ve had our Vw tigaun 140tdi Remapped now its 188bhp.It goes like stink now.
Save money & buy the 140 & get it remapped. :)

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
huds said:
Hi time
I would say that the 170 would be the next step for the scirocco Diesel.
I`ve had our Vw tigaun 140tdi Remapped now its 188bhp.It goes like stink now.
Save money & buy the 140 & get it remapped. :)
Would have to agree with that, a good remap is far better value

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
:lol: :lol: well yes, but if you are going for an "oil burner" better to get a 140 and remap it than pay for a 170. I had a 525d bmw, remapped it and it was as quick as a 530 except had the mpg of a 525 and the insurance of a 525 ( ;) ). Also car was cheaper to purchase! So IMHO the lower bhp and a remap is better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
we have an A3 170 TDi... doesn't do above 44mpg in our use... i'd question the method in remapping a 140 if the reason you bought it for was economy... especially taking into consideration the difference in petrol and diesel costs. i'd argue a petrol doing 35mpg is cheaper to run than a 170

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
FunkyMunky said:
we have an A3 170 TDi... doesn't do above 44mpg in our use... i'd question the method in remapping a 140 if the reason you bought it for was economy... especially taking into consideration the difference in petrol and diesel costs. i'd argue a petrol doing 35mpg is cheaper to run than a 170
Thats a good point, my last (but one) 3 cars were all diesel, and it was specifically on running costs. But I was never happy, I always felt hard done by in the performance stakes. My job has changed location and as a result my annual mileage has fallen from 40,000 to circa 20,000. The difference in cost of fuel and the fact in the 5-series diesel I was getting 33-34mpg plus my family were in it once or twice a month, I suddenly thought why am I doing this??? Hence the rocco!! ;)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
imitebeurda said:
:lol: :lol: well yes, but if you are going for an "oil burner" better to get a 140 and remap it than pay for a 170. I had a 525d bmw, remapped it and it was as quick as a 530 except had the mpg of a 525 and the insurance of a 525 ( ;) ). Also car was cheaper to purchase! So IMHO the lower bhp and a remap is better.
Well yes, but what you should have said was if you are going to get an oil burner, make it a delivery van :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the comments but im not into remapping as it causes issues with the insurance and not sure how it stands when come to sell it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
imitebeurda said:
This might not be the case;
If the 170 uses a bigger turbo in which case it will go to higher power than the 140, though probably still limited by the clutch,
The 170 might have a FMIC and the 140 only a SMIC,
They may have slightly different gear ratios.

Personnally it will depend alot on my job at the time, but if I am not doing anymore miles communting to and during work than I do at the moment, then I'll be seriously looking at the 'updated' 2.0T fsi which will probably be in the Scirocco by the time the 170 tdi is out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts