Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DEEP BLACK PEARL â€" 2.0 TSI GT â€" FIRST THOUGHTS, MAJOR DETAIL AND PICS

I just took delivery of the car on Friday. Now that I’ve had the car a couple of day’s, I thought that I would tell you about my detailing regime, my thoughts on the car and post some pics.

THOUGHTS
I’ve had a couple of days to get used to it now. Most of my comparisons are against a 2.0 TFSI Mk2 Audi TT as this is car that it’s replacing. If you’ve seen any of my previous posts you’ll know that I was a bit gutted that the TT was going back so was coming into the Roc fold with mixed emotions. Well that’s changed…

1. Spec:
Deep Black, Manual box, Anthracite Leather, Sat Nav, 17” Spa Alloys. This is a “bonus” pack deal which is from a collection of GT cars that had the wrong alloys put on them. VW supplied them to dealers at a lower price to shift them. The car is leased and is costing me £16 a month less than a bog standard (non met paint, cloth interior) GT with Interlagos wheels on it.

2. Colour:
My first choice would have been candy white. My TT was white and I love the colour. As it was Candy wasn’t available from the stock available above. I had Rising blue, Reflex Silver and Deep Black to choose from. I’m not a fan of the black bump strips at the bottom of the doors and wasn’t keen on the mass of black plastic that is the lower grill on the front but that’s growing on me. So in the end I went with black as I thought these elements would blend in more. As it is now, I’m really pleased I went for black. When the sun comes out the car looks amazing.

3. Interior
Wasn't sure about it at first. Felt that it wasn’t as special as the TT and still do but having gotten used to it now, it's growing on me. I love the silver stitching on the leather seats. Love all the toys that come as standard. The steering wheel is chunkier than the TT so actually prefer it although a few changes would do the car some good, such as spraying the A pieces on the centre console silver (see Candy Monster’s thread on this), Replacing the centre console stowage pocket with a closed one (see Alurts thread on this) and I would have liked the black plastic button surrounds on the steering wheel to be silver to match the silver bit at the bottom. Plenty of storage space which is a welcome change and the Sat Nav Unit is quality and even plays DVDs. The standard speakers seem a bit weedy to me so I’ll be swapping these out with a set of Pioneers shortly. Won’t bother with an amp though.

4. Driving
To my surprise I’m enjoying it more that I thought I would. It’s less crashy-bashy over bumps and uneven road surfaces than the TT is. The Adaptive Chassis Control really does make a difference though I think the steering gets a tad heavy in SPORT. The button is in a stupid place as I can’t see it when I’m in 1st, 3rd or 6th gear.

Turning circle is a bit wider than the TT and that’s taking a bit of getting used to. Also I have to get used to the throttle. Power delivery isn’t quite as smooth. At the bottom of the rev range, very often I seem to go from being near a standstill to suddenly jolting forward at speed but I think that’s me getting used to things rather than a criticism of the car.

One thing that I do like is that I genuinely enjoy driving the car at slower speeds. I have a tendency to drive the TT everywhere like a maniac! The Scirocco is fun when just cruising along as well as when giving it some welly.

The exhaust note is better than expected as well.

5. Looks
I can’t stop staring at it through my living room window. It’s a mean looking son-of-a bitch and I have really fallen in love with it. So glad I went for black. Everyone who has seen it thinks it’s a nicer and more desirable car than my TT was which was a surprise for me. The Spa alloys are nice as well though the gaps in the arches are a bit high but I can live with that until the car needs new tires then I’ll stick some nice 18s on it and possibly lower it by 35mm. I swapped out the headlights for Philips Bluevision ones and this has made a bit of a difference as well. I’ll also be painting the brake callipers at some point probably red. Did this on my last car and thought it looked ace.

Not fussed at the DRLs being on but do feel that it detracts from the functionality of the auto-lighting somewhat. After all, when it gets dark your interior lights go on. Big deal! Can't help thinking that the auto lights are a waste of time when coupled with the DRLs.

Overall I’m both really impressed and very happy with the car. As a daily driver, is it better than the TT that it replaces? Grudgingly and surprisingly, I’d have to say “Yes. It is”. I can fit two people in the back. It's a comfortable cruiser but also a fast, grippy sports car when I want it to be.

DELIVERY DETAIL
Most dealers do a piss poor job of preparing the car before delivering it to a customer. It usually gets a few swirl marks added etc. When I get a new car I always do a proper detail on it. It helps to maintain the finish of the car and means less work to keep it that way. The steps that I outline below only need to be done once every six months with washing and waxing in between to maintain the finish. By the way I love Meguiars products as you’ll see:

EXTERIOR

1. Wash car with Meguiars NXT Car wash and Meguiars wash mitt.
2. Dry with Meguiars Water Magnet and Last touch detailing spray to disperse the water.
3. Clay with Meguiars clay kit
4. Wash car again
5. Apply Step 1 of the Meguiars Crystal detailing system â€" Paint Cleaner. Applied and removed a panel at a time
6. Apply Step 2 of the Meguiars Crystal detailing system â€" Polish. Applied same as above
7. Apply Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0 to the whole car. Allow to dry and remove.
8. Use Meguiars Trim detail on all rubber and plastic.
9. Clean glass (ASDA glass cleaning spray and kitchen roll!)
10. Apply Meguiars Endurance gloss tire shine.

In between washes you can spray the car with "Last touch detailing spray" and wipe off with a cloth to maintain a showroom finish.

INTERIOR
I haven’t done this yet but will be conditioning the leather with Gliptone Liquid Leather. This is cheap and the best leather conditioner on the market

PICS

Not sure why some of the pictures are cut off. Posted them on another forum and they worked fine.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Great pics, I'm sure you spent a fair while cleaning too but worth it for the results.

Good to read your review. You sound truly pleased especially after reading some of your earlier posts.

Tony

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TonyIroc said:
Great pics, I'm sure you spent a fair while cleaning too but worth it for the results.

Good to read your review. You sound truly pleased especially after reading some of your earlier posts.

Tony
I must admit. I am converted. Not sure if I would now say that one car is better than the other (TT vs Scirocco) but I definitely like the both of them. Maybe I would say if the Scirocco had the same sort of dash as the TT that the Scirocco would be the winner.

I any case, I'm a happy bunny! :p :p :p

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sciroccorocket said:
nice looking car but i think 18s would be better
I'm actually not that convinced about that. Depends on how you look at it. I like the design of the Spa alloys and they would be better if they were 18s rather than 17s but I think its more the big gap in the arches that I don't like to so much. So maybe a a 35mm drop on would cure that without the need to stick bigger alloys on it?

The plan is:

New speakers (ordered - fitted within the next couple of weeks)
Brake Calipers painted
35mm drop
Remap
Bigger wheels and tyres.

The last three on the list will be over a longer period of time than the first two.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chelle said:
Evil Derboy said:
chelle said:
Oh wow it's gorgeous, is that a film you've got on in the car?!
Yeah! Starsky and Hutch DVD! :D
:shock: Wow ace! Excuse my possible stupid question but have you got something special or an added extra or can you watch a DVD in any scirocco?
To my knowledge you can only watch DVDs if you have the Sat Nav option (and only when the vehicle is stationary)

·
Registered
5 Posts
The standard speakers seem a bit weedy to me so I’ll be swapping these out with a set of Pioneers shortly
do you know what size will fit the car ? the pioneer.eu says about the 17cm speaker set with the adapter.. have you deattached the door sides already ?

:?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
veyron said:
The standard speakers seem a bit weedy to me so I’ll be swapping these out with a set of Pioneers shortly
do you know what size will fit the car ? the pioneer.eu says about the 17cm speaker set with the adapter.. have you deattached the door sides already ?

:?
Yes. I believe that 6.5" / 17cm speakers fit without the need for an adaptor. Are you getting confused with the wiring adaptor? If so you don't really need that either. Haven't had the chance to get the doors panels off as the car is knackered and sitting at the dealers awaiting a part (see my other thread).

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yeah! Starsky and Hutch DVD! :D

:shock: Wow ace! Excuse my possible stupid question but have you got something special or an added extra or can you watch a DVD in any scirocco?

To my knowledge you can only watch DVDs if you have the Sat Nav option (and only when the vehicle is stationary)
I think you are right, but if you know some helpful person with VAGcom it can be spoofed to allow DVD to play all the time, well it can certainly be done on an Audi so guess the same for a VW.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Le_Savage said:
I think you are right, but if you know some helpful person with VAGcom it can be spoofed to allow DVD to play all the time, well it can certainly be done on an Audi so guess the same for a VW.
Le_Sav, now you have my interest!! :D :lol: I dont want the sat nav, but is it possible to allow DVD play without paying for the sat nav??

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imitebeurda said:
Le_Savage said:
Le_Sav, now you have my interest!! :D :lol: I dont want the sat nav, but is it possible to allow DVD play without paying for the sat nav??
No. It only works on the Sat Nav. The VAGCOM coding purely allows you to watch DVDs whilst driving. The standard unit doesn't have a DVD drive in it so it cant read DVDs at all (or so I'm told).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.