Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate comments on my experience of driving the Roc please

(2.0 TSI now done approx 1300 miles)

The car is not as free revving as I expected - I use to drive rental cars like the Cavalier SRI where you could get to about 60mph in 1st & 2nd gear.

Setting off in first there is sometimes a MASSIVE lack of response from the throttle. eg moving forward slowly in car park you can sometimes gently press the throttle with absolutely no response. Once on the move in first it feels more like my old Diesel Alfa GT - you need to get into 2nd quite quickly.

Maybe it just needs more revs and to be driven 'harder' than I would have expected to get the performance ?

Maybe I'm also keeping to much of an eye on the MPG indicator !

:?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I thought this, until my car hit 1500 miles, and suddenly the engine loosened up massivley, revvy little bitch now! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
283 Posts
i can be sluggish until turbo kicks in, its happy been either a rev monster or let the torque do the work

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
ive come from a 105ps golf diesel so mine feels well fast and thats running in at about 4000 revs, whats even worse i had a 90hp picasso b4 that proper gutless,
mind i have had a 911 and a 944 so it aint all been shitty cars

·
Registered
78 Posts
is it possible that the ECU is running in some sort of conservative mode until the engine is fully run in :?: I doubt it if they've told you to keep under 4k revs. but it is a possibilty that the car could be using some sort of conservative map till it thinks its run in. Not sure if its regular practice or not?

It's a bit different but most cars have some sort of limp mode, though thats for when your engine is properly screwed say something like a broken water pump. I only know as my dads focus gave up on a trip somewhere but he was still able to get home as apparently the ECU made the car run on 2 cylinders alternatively whilst pumping air through the other two in order to try keep the engine cool :) was obviously a very slow underpowered drive home, but it got him there. Engines are pretty clever now days.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
A VW is a very well built engine as such its very tight when new. An engineering type once told me a new Ford engine is like a VW engine with 60-70k on the clock, don't know the truth but it is true economy keeps getting better until its got this sort of mileage on it.

They do tend to be a bit flat until you've put about 5k on em. I've had a few so have got a bit of experience with this. :lol:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I picked up my ex demo 2.0 tsi dsg with 2k on the clocks, have to say that first few drives were a little tetchy as getting used to both the 2.0 petrol and the DSG, I noticed a little hesitancy at the pull away but soon cured this after a few drives by being a litle more 'bold' and since then the car has responded well to my every command including revving freely round to 7,5k rpm when required or desired. Don't be shy and give it a squirt, it'll love you for it :p :p :p

G

·
I must admit i am a little dissapointed.

I swaped from a 330 d which was 30 bhp up on the roc but much heavier. the figures suggest that the performance should be close but it doesnt feel it.

It feels a bit, dare i say it, cheap.

Had i have bothered to test drive one before i bought it im sure i wouldnt have bothered.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I swaped from a 330 d which was 30 bhp up on the roc but much heavier. the figures suggest that the performance should be close but it doesnt feel it.
IMHO it's not really fair to compare a 2.0 petrol to a 3.0 litre diesel given the huge difference in torque which is what probably gives the impression that the roco is not performing, but then again if you are so blasé not to bother test driving the new ride then it's your bad. I'm sure you can find plenty of buyers for the rocco, and on the same note there are 000's of 330d for sale for cheap money so you should soon be smiling again in your wooly cotton wool beamer.... C'est la vie

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
kianok said:

Had i have bothered to test drive one before i bought it im sure i wouldnt have bothered.
LOL a 330d is £10k more than a Scirocco a full 50% more expensive

What exactly are you expecting?

Maybe you should have bought a 3.6v6 300bhp Passat CC which would mince your 330d

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can't believe anyone would buy a car before test driving it! Yes, a diesel would give the impression of more 'grunt'. I know I will not be disappointed in the torque department, as I am coming from a Mazda RX-8 which does not get its real power until the other side of 5K RPM, but the car mags mention the 'diesel like' torque of the 2.0 TSi engine, I think it is a fantastic car for £20K!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah the torque will have that effect of that feeling of acceleration. I think its a bit silly not to have test driven it.
At the end of the day, it's all subjective like taste in food or wine.

Are you on a long contract or taken big finance on the car? Its a shame as it will have already lost value just with a few miles though If you sell it quick you won't loose too much! Sure somebody on here would like to take it off your hands for a reduced price... :lol: ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
skippy said:
I can't believe anyone would buy a car before test driving it! Yes, a diesel would give the impression of more 'grunt'. I know I will not be disappointed in the torque department, as I am coming from a Mazda RX-8 which does not get its real power until the other side of 5K RPM, but the car mags mention the 'diesel like' torque of the 2.0 TSi engine, I think it is a fantastic car for £20K!
I bought mine without test driving it, as I did all my previous cars... (they have all been VW's tho :lol: ) and I was amazed by the car, performance and interior when I took receipt of the car. Our other car is a 58 reg SLK200 and I have to say my partner and I are always fighting over who drives the Scirocco, I also think the interior on the Scirocco is far more pleasing than on the Merc also, so I guess it's all subjective...

·
Registered
24 Posts
baysideblue said:
Yeah the torque will have that effect of that feeling of acceleration. I think its a bit silly not to have test driven it.
At the end of the day, it's all subjective like taste in food or wine.

Are you on a long contract or taken big finance on the car? Its a shame as it will have already lost value just with a few miles though If you sell it quick you won't loose too much! Sure somebody on here would like to take it off your hands for a reduced price... :lol: ;)
Ooh I don't know, looking at some of the used Scirocs on the VW website it seems some are going for a premium (£27k for one I beleive)...

Perhaps this is because a perceived lack of supply?

·
Registered
283 Posts
kianok said:

kianok, the engine in the 330d is a classic, latest version dishes out 520Nm of a torque so no wonder if feels slower

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
typical beemer driver up his own ar** i would never own i beemer even if i was paid, there is nothing wrong with the roc i love mine, my 2.0tsi has more than enough power

·
Registered
277 Posts
kianok said:

You might notice a dramatic difference once the engine has run in a bit, i ordered my ROC without a test drive, but i had a mk5 GTI beforehand, so it couldnt be worse.. For me the first 1500 miles the response when i put the foot down was a little muted, but i notice its much more eager now.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts