Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and new to the Scirocco - but loving them both. I picked up my new, manual, rising blue 200ps yesterday and am still looking stuff up in the manual!

But I'm having a bit of trouble with two things and wonder whether anyone can help.

How do I turn the headlights off from their daytime running setting and how do I connect my ipod? I've closely followed all the instructions but nothing seems to work. I've even asked next door's ten year old son (because they know everything) and my own 23 year-old son (because they THINK they know everything).

Has anyone else encountered difficulties like this?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I dont collect my Scirocco for a couple of weeks, but this may help -

Day time running lights cant be switched off as far as I know.

Ref iPod connection, I assume you are using the Aux socket , or the cable in the armrest? I think I read somewhere, not sure whether it was here or elsewhere, that you need to go to the menu settings on the stereo, and select the AUX to 'ON', i think it is defaulted to 'OFF' and needs to be changed before it will detect the iPod. I might be wrong, and perhaps someone else correct me if I am... :(

I've gone for Rising Blue as well. I went in to the dealership this morning to drop off my registration retention docs. I'm now really excited. They invited me to have a sit in the 'Roc they had in there, but I dont want to spoil the first time I get in 'my car', so I walked out, calm as a cucumber, feeling lke a kid ina sweet shop on the inside.. :D :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
daytime running lights can be switched off on the computer if you have multifunction steering wheel. Its in the setup menu. If you don't have this then you shouldn't have daytime lights, if this is the case I assume you're talking about auto lights which are standard. If this is the case the lights will only come on in dusk or at 93mph (150kph) or when raining. You can switch these off by selecting the left position on the lights which is the round thing to the right of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the help so far. Bungle - if you want to see the real thing in rising blue, I posted a picture that I took yesterday afternoon. It's on the forum under the members pictures bit.
Catching the winter sunshine it really did look like the dogs danglies. I mean it when I say I haven't stopped smiling yet.

The ipod connection is a funny thing. I can get it to work using the aux socket and a jack to jack lead from the headphone output. You are right that the aux does have to be activated first. But I really want to use the special input socket in the armrest so that I can control the ipod from teh radio. According to all the instructions it should work. I've been doinga abit of browsing this afternoon though and it looks like I should have got a "special" cable from the dealer. It seems to go between thye ipod's bottom socket and the USB connector in the armrest. Will visit the dealer tomorrow to check on this.

BM - Thanks for that, I do mean the daylight running lights, not the AUTO setting. I understand that bit. It is the fact that I can't get the lights off in bright sunlight, no matter what position the rotary switch (down and to the right of the steering wheel) is in there are always some lights on. Have you any idea what I should be looking for in the menus on the computer. I can confirm that I do have the multi-function steering wheel and the computer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi - I was under the impression you can only turn the daylight running lights off via VAGCOM software - I am not certain but I thought the manual says that you can't turn the daytime running lights off via the menu system. :(

This information is from another forum where they have used VAGCOM to turn off their running lights.

As you have mentioned you need a VW ipod USB cable for the ipod to work, this should have come free with the car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, not sure if this helps but when I picked my new Scirocco up from the garage they told me that the daytime lights stay on all the time, as this is going to be the law in all new cars as from 2011. I know it's only 2009 but Volkswagen are a little ahead of themselves on this! Only being a female I'm sure if this answers your question but hope it helps. Di

·
Registered
283 Posts
mine is going into the dealer on wednesday and i have asked them to look at turning the drls off, you get enough attention without the lights being on all the time

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bungle - The drls are dipped headlights! That's why the extra attention. The switch in the O position - the one you'd assume would be "off" is actually with the drls on as soon as you turn on the ignition. The next position is the "Auto" setting which, fair enough, should give you headlights if it's dark enough/raining/going fast etc. Bit they are on anyway because the drl overrides them. The next position is sidelights only but that is classed as "switched on" so you get the "headlights on" warning buzzer as soon as you pull the key. The next position is headlights on. So it is impossible to drive with no lights on.

Episode 2 of the ipod story - and I can feel that this is going to turn into one of those sagas, I went into the dealers today. TOTALLY USELESS!! Hadn't a clue what I was talking about. The parts manager has a 'rocco but hasn't got an ipod so he was clueless. They are going to look into it and get back to me. I won't hold my breath.

The smile#s still there though, it really is a beautiful car to drive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
thanks Chrisb. i thought I was asking a stupid question to be honest, because if drl's are normal headlights, what is the point of having an Auto setting on the lights? If you have headlights on when you are at either '0' or 'Auto', what is the point of having a sidelight setting? In fact waht is the point of having a headlight switch at all?

I must say, that I have got into the habit of driving with lights on during the day a la Volvo, for safety reasons for a long time now. My wife is a Class 1 Police Driver (cough, cough), and she has instilled it into me.

And, no she's not at all impressed with the six points I've got at the moment :evil: (thank God three earlier ones have been spent all ready :lol: )

·
Registered
283 Posts
what makes it a nonsense is if you are in auto and need to put the fogs on you have to turn the switch so lights go briefly to side lights, wouldn't mind so much if it was the side lights that were on all the time

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ipod needs a £20 lead we've sold loads of em recently. Parts manager should know bless him. Why are DRL's a problem - hadn't even noticed mine had em. Why would anyone want to switch em off?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BM - I wouldn't mind paying £20 to get it sorted out, what is most annoying is that nobody seems to know what is happening or what is the truth. Some of the information out on the interwebby suggests that the part is free and should have been given to the owner at the time of collection. Other postings seem to indicate that it is an approved "spare" and costs.

Does anyone know the actual part number?

·
Registered
283 Posts
there are two part numbers for these one is £20 the other £34, they both do the same thing as i tried both, the £20 one is for all VW built from a certain week in 2008 and covers all roccos

·
Registered
21 Posts
Two cables should be supplied FREE OF CHARGE with the new Scirocco, no need to pay for them, although some dealers still don't know this is the case. Refer them to the following for confirmation:

Tell the dealer it was all clarified in a bulletin from Volkswagen to dealers only, using the ‘Desktop’ communication suite on Aug 14th; ref. no. 0510-08.

It is free and should be supplied with the car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well done iambu, I was just talking about that on this post....http://www.scirocconet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=97
This forum is a bit scattered.

With regards to the lights, no they are permanently on, known as Daytime Running Lights, a law that will come into force in a couple of years on all cars built after its introduction (unless people stop it.... http://www.dadrl.org.uk/), VW is just prepared for it.

You can turn them off via VAG-COM software only, or some dealers will do it for you if you don't have the cables - it can't be done through the settings accessed by the steering wheel - its a setting that is turned on at the factory therefore without the correct software and tools road users can't touch it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
rehmondo said:
Well done iambu, I was just talking about that on this post....http://www.scirocconet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=97
This forum is a bit scattered.

With regards to the lights, no they are permanently on, known as Daytime Running Lights, a law that will come into force in a couple of years on all cars built after its introduction (unless people stop it.... http://www.dadrl.org.uk/), VW is just prepared for it.

You can turn them off via VAG-COM software only, or some dealers will do it for you if you don't have the cables - it can't be done through the settings accessed by the steering wheel - its a setting that is turned on at the factory therefore without the correct software and tools road users can't touch it.
VAGCOM read this long code: ED8E8F0300041A0067960E001900000000087F075C400124000000000000

Anyone knows which bit/byte to change? :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts