Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I pass on this cautionary tale (or nightmare actually) just been told by my dealer my Roc arrives this week for delivery next week :p
However, read this about my experience of last friday in my Z4.

A word of warning about Kwik-fit and view the attachment last.

Last Friday I booked my car in to the local Kwik-fit for an MOT and was told to pick it up at 2pm. Upon arrival I was advised that the car had failed the MOT and required new discs and pads on the front and two new rear tyres, I was then asked to return at 5pm at which time the car would be ready.

Upon arrival at 5pm I was told the car was ready and all the work was complete, but that I should take it easy on the brakes to allow the pads to bed in. Within 30 minutes of leaving Kwik fit, whilst driving along the M53, I heard a load bang at the front of the car and heard pieces of metallic debris bouncing off the bottom of the car. I decided to slow down at which time the car swerved violently left and right across the motorway and through more luck than judgement I managed to get on the hard shoulder and coast the car to a halt.

Upon inspection of the passenger side front wheel I noticed the brake calliper had become dislodged and had wedged on the inside of the alloy wheel. I rang Kwik-fit and Lex who arranged for a breakdown vehicle to pick me up and I eventually arrived home at 8pm. The car was taken to the local Kwik-fit in Wallasey on Saturday morning and I was advised the brake calliper had not been fitted correctly and had caused major damage to the front wheel, brake system, strut and other associated parts. I was further told it would take days to fix due to the number of parts required.

View the attachment now and read the large blue writing on the centre of the receipt, can you believe it?

My advice is think hard about using Kwik-fit

The pdf won't upload, but it is the receipt for the work which states in big blue letters across the centre 'you'll be amazed at what we do'

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
not wanting to pi55 on the picnic but is this not a name and shame thread???

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for forwarning people of dodgy businesses but I thought this was against the board rules??

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Le_Savage said:
not wanting to pi55 on the picnic but is this not a name and shame thread???

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for forwarning people of dodgy businesses but I thought this was against the board rules??
Point me in the direction of the 'name and shame thread and I'll put it there, god knows I don't want to break the rules :roll:

·
Registered
252 Posts
After all that build up I'm gagging to see "the large blue writing on the centre of the receipt", open the PDF - do ATL+Print Screen, then open up paint and paste in the screenshot and upload that as an image - do it now please!

:D

·
Registered
252 Posts
lmao :lol:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
brilliant... was it this genius strap line that lured you in there in the first place?? Personally I would never go near this retailer or any of the other quick fix places for anything that involved them using a spanner or a sharp implement, when I left school I did a C&G in motor mechanics with a 2 day per week work placement... there was a guy on the course who got stuck in one of these places and he was on the receiving end of our constant string of jokes, and for good reason in my book, as they are all a bunch of clowns.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
PMSL that is very funny, had a similar experience myself with them many years ago, my first ever new car, got a set of alloys fitted by them. They didnt fit them correctly and the alloy ended up "welded" to the hub. Whole new wheel assembly, brake caliper and alloy required. Not good........ :shock: :?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Le_Savage said:
brilliant... was it this genius strap line that lured you in there in the first place??

Well, thing is, it is a Lex lease car and they insist tyres, brakes etc are done at Kwikfit and only services are done by BMW. To be fair they have been brilliant since it happened and have given Kwikfit hell. as an aside, the Manchester Evening News sent a reporter today and they are doing a piece on it which will be in the next couple of days. I told Kwikfit about this and unbelievably they have not responded, they must want the publicity :?:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Roc and no roll said:
Le_Savage said:
brilliant... was it this genius strap line that lured you in there in the first place??

Well, thing is, it is a Lex lease car and they insist tyres, brakes etc are done at Kwikfit and only services are done by BMW. To be fair they have been brilliant since it happened and have given Kwikfit hell. as an aside, the Manchester Evening News sent a reporter today and they are doing a piece on it which will be in the next couple of days. I told Kwikfit about this and unbelievably they have not responded, they must want the publicity :?:
Brilliant... make sure you keep us updated with the scoop, I always love the vendor comments especially once they have been into and regurgitated by a journalost (sic) :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
Roc and no roll said:
Le_Savage said:

Yep, i too have the joy of being a Lex slave, its not reassuring to see some 16 year old oik with a 'braindead' expression on his face changing your tyres,..doesnt instill confidence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts