Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a review of the scirocco in today's South African Times. I have heard a lot of ways of describing the roc. Never in my life though have I seen it compared to 70's disco, tight trousers, brut aftershave and cocaine!! :shock: :? I cant be certain but I think the author of this might be a little bit insane enjoy...................

Air Assault
Motoring Published:May 30, 2009

Faster, stronger and endowed with knee-trembling looks, the legendary VW Scirocco is back, and will leave you gasping in its furious wake. By Thomas Falkiner.

Fevered by the beat of disco, keen on fashion and undoubtedly influenced by Colombia’s infamous powdered export, ’70s man was all set to rip through the decade of excess.

A slave to mirror balls and the hip- swinging twang of the wah pedal, our gold-chained hipster would often be found hustling across dance floors to seduce many a maxi-skirted diva.

Tight trousers and a generous splashing of Brut 33 aftershave may have been de rigueur during these glitzy nocturnal courtships, but what really distinguished the players from the posers were the keys to a sports coupé.

Built to be sleek and stylish, these chrome-licked 2+2s guaranteed action with any buxom blonde, thanks to their American design cues, faux air ducts and â€" dependent on the options list, of course â€" black vinyl roofs.

Sharing parts with less glamorous saloon cars made them surprisingly affordable â€" soon thousands of open-shirted males were swanking around town in a gold Ford Capri or a flame-red Opel Manta. These models dripped with go-faster virility and proved so popular that rival manufacturers joined the coupé party.

Most struggled to emulate the mechanical and aesthetic successes of the original Capri. In 1974, however, the year Abba hit it big with Waterloo, a proper contender began gracing international car- magazine covers.

Designed to replace the ageing Karmann Ghia coupé and named after a hot desert wind, Volkswagen’s Scirocco blew up a media storm when it appeared at the Geneva Motor Show.

Unlike the Ford and Opel, which were inspired by the flowing curves of ’60s muscle cars, the Scirocco’s sheet metal was clean, angular and futuristic; here was a machine that didn’t steal its visual presence from the past.

Penned by Giorgetto Giugiaro â€" the Italian who birthed icons like the Ferrari 250 â€" these striking exterior dimensions were coupled with an interior that was designed to further appeal to the tastes of the time.

There was a leather-wrapped steering wheel with three bare steel spokes. Ahead of it lurked a dash in faux wooden veneer and near the two front seats â€" tastefully upholstered in “Tartan Diamond” â€" a voltmeter was built into the centre console.

But the best thing about this revolutionary coupé â€" even though 42% of buyers bought the Scirocco for its looks alone â€" was the fact that VW made sure it lived up to its sporting pretensions. Sure, that anaemic entry-level model with its 1.1-litre engine was no fireball, but the fine-handling 1.5 and 1.6 GTI versions could tussle with the best.

And so, endowed with style and performance in pretty much equal measure, the Scirocco went on to become one of the bestselling sports cars of the ’70s.

Regularly spotted outside inner- city hotspots, the sassy VW also enjoyed much success on the international racetrack. It even bagged a minor role in George Romero’s zombie flick, Dawn of the Dead.

When synth pop ruled the radio waves in the early ’80s, the Scirocco received an evolutionary makeover and, refreshed, continued to rocket off production lines until it was replaced by the ill-fated Corrado â€" a car that drove even better than its predecessor, but was sunk by an insane price tag. The Corrado crashed into an early grave, taking Volkswagen’s esteemed coupé legacy with it.

For nearly 10 years fans were left to lament this loss in painful silence until, inspired by the Noughties trend of rekindling forgotten car brands, the creative winds started blowing through the Wolfsburg design studios. Seeing what a reaction the new Dodge Challenger, Ford Mustang and Fiat 500 were attracting, VW resurrected the once much- loved Scirocco.

Unveiled in 2008, its radical shape easily rivalled the Alfa Brera in the beauty stakes; and its Stig- pleasing performance was awarded Top Gear’s car of the year.

For months I’ve drooled over it in the pages of glossies, today I get to drive one.

Way cooler than any VW I’ve encountered, Scirocco version three looks killer from just about every angle. Face it head-on and those gigantic headlamps and gloss-black intake grille will stare you down like a predator. Scurry past its low-profiled flanks and you’ll notice this menace seeps across the chiselled shoulder line and bleeds into that steeply raked rear. Finished off with four massive 18-inch wheels, frameless doors and a narrow glasshouse, the Scirocco’s futuristic anatomy speaks a design language of more affluent machinery.

When I feel the body-hugging driver’s seat, grip that perfectly positioned steering wheel and hear the muted growl of the turbocharged engine, it becomes clear that this Scirocco won’t disappoint quite like the New Beetle â€" all style, zero substance.

Today’s Volkswagens, barring the Golf V GTI, have never really been that exciting to pilot, but this coupé knows how to get the road juices flowing.

Perhaps that tar-skimming seating position has something to do with it â€" soon as I recline into the slightly retro confines of the Scirocco, I’m hit with an immediate sense of fun that has long been lacking in VW’s lineup.

Getting the hell out of town and heading down a familiar piece of country asphalt amplify the Scirocco’s inherent drivability. Graced with god-like levels of grip, the Scirocco encourages you to thrash the daylights out of it and show it no mercy. It’s not the most powerful car in its class (think BMW 130i and Ford Focus ST instead), but balance and Teutonic efficiency make the VW Scirocco one of the best driver’s cars this side of R500000.

Crackling with feedback, the chassis and steering do wonders for my confidence and I start to carve through corners with the sort of ferocity I last experienced behind the wheel of a Lotus. Not bad for a car that is nearly half the price, can seat four adults and swallow a weekend’s worth of luggage.

Swapping cogs on the sniper- smooth DSG gearbox â€" an action that sends an angry engine blip through the exhaust system â€" it’s evident that, despite bearing little resemblance to the boxy original we used in our photo shoot, this new Scirocco’s sports-car performance and mould-shattering looks stay true to VW’s bang-for- buck philosophy. And, even though cream-coloured carpets are no longer on the options list, ’70s man would certainly agree.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imitebeurda said:
A slave to mirror balls and the hip- swinging twang of the wah pedal, our gold-chained hipster would often be found hustling across dance floors to seduce many a maxi-skirted diva.
.........and he has obviously seen me out on the town! :? :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.