Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The gtini.com show in Castlewellan this year is on Saturday 4th July. This is the 5th year of this show and the guys at www.gtini.com now have this show established as one of the premier VW shows in Ireland with many cars coming from across the British Isles and even further afield. It is always a great day out so if anyone from Ireland/NI (or anywhere else for that matter!) is interested in attending please let me know.

I have included a map of the local area and Castlewellan park so you can see where the show is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ohhh this looks good, i might take a pop along for the craic. I'll have to turn up in my ASBO though cos the "ROC" won't be turning up for a few months yet. I'm not that far from Castlewellan too which is good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
imitebeurda said:
Aye nip across, I will be there in my scirocconet t-shirt, say hello! I see you are in Newry, thats where I work :thumbup:
Ahhh cool.....i'm just up the road from Newry. Warrenpoint / Rostrevor direction. I'm really from Glasgow and moved over here nearly four years ago. If you see a Orange ST flashing at ya it will be me then lol. I cover the WHOLE of Ireland with my job and only seen a handfull of Scirocco's which is good.

Aye i'll certainley make the effort to go. Would be really nice to see your car :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aye, Im in Warrenpoint a fair bit too (work in FTB). Yeh Castlewellan's a cracking show, always a huge range of VW's there and also other clubs too.

Here's a couple of pics from last years show....

You cant really see an awful lot :oops: but there's at least a couple of hundred cars and some mad ones! :crazy:

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
**BUMP** this is today, just getting ready to leave. Although weather forecast is for thunderstorms!! :roll: :thumbdown: , anyway, hope to see the guys who contacted me there!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Show Report - Castlewellan GTINI Show 04/07/09

Okay, as many of you know my wife and I had twins 5 weeks ago. Since then there have been numerous car shows here in Ireland.

My good lady has always done the, "sure you go on ahead, I will manage" thing, which as all you guys will know is code for. Yeh, go on ahead, but you do know you will be paying for it for the next 6 weeks dont you!

So, I "bravely" forwent all the shows, saying I had to be the doting father/husband (although how sitting in a darkened room on scirocconet achieves that Im not quite sure! :think: :shifty: )

I missed all of the shows, on the condition that no matter what, I could go to the GTINI show today.

This is IMHO the premier VW show in NI and argueably Ireland as a whole. There are individual cars and clubs coming from as far as Cork, Killarney and Tralee. (for you GB ones imagine you live in Brighton and go to a show in Edinburgh!)

Many of the guys make a weekend of it and camp in Castlewellan Forest Park. Ive done it before myself and the craic (irish banter and guiness fuelled humour) is mighty!

Anyway, with 4 kids, and 3 of them under 2 this was a definete non-starter. So, with the need to prepare the car, and the weather forecast for NI for the weekend being - "heavy showers followed by thunderstorms" (aka find a bloke called Noah, ask him if he has a boat and get on board!) I decided to slope off from work a tad early.

I got home at 4.10pm, and in glorious sunshine made preparations to clean the car.

4.15pm..........2 babies are screaming so much only the neighbours dogs can here them, the 2 year old is behaving in such a way Im gonna check his head for a 666 birthmark and my wife is giving me such an evil stare through the lounge window Im having to put sun cream on the back of my neck...........Oh and the biggest, blackest cloud I have EVER seen is heading our way.......

Okay, speed detailing, I truly expect to turn round and see Norris McWhirter with a stop watch timing me! In 20 mins I have the car washed and chamoised, and am now running round with the Autoglym HD wax swirling like mad.....,

Another 35 mins and the car has the wax on. The black cloud is almost overhead and Imitebeurma has already said its 5.10pm and I have to put the dinner on in 20 mins!

Okay out with the Chemical Guys wheel Guard, no time for rubber gloves!

5.35pm All the wax is on, must go inside and sort tea.

5.55pm tea on the plates, heavens open...........oh crap :evil:

9.30pm, number 2 son in bed, rain has been off for an hour and car is nearly dry, feck it, cant wait any longer, Its nearly dark. Out with the anti-static polishing cloths and after 45 mins and finishing in the dark I have all the wax off. Okay I have 127 bottles to sterilise and fill so I cannot be ar5ed cleaning the interior.

11.30pm, early to bed so I can get up and get ready early for tomorrow.

4.27am, I am rudely awakened by a plastic corn on the cob being beaten round my face while being invited down stairs to watch barney, I "politely" decline.

6.15am, I can hold the wee fella off no longer, up we get. Im itching to get out to the car, but have to do the family thing!

9.10am, free!!!!! :p the weather is decidedly dodgy so I want to get "on stand" and get the car prepped before the inevitable downpour, so I decide to cut across country. BAD idea, 3 weeks of tractor spilage followed by the first rain means that by the time I get there the car is 10 times worse than before I started last night............. :wtf: :cry:

Thankfully as I had waxed it a quick wash and then a coat of Autoglym finishing glaze, followed by Autoglym tyreshine on the rubber and plastics and a quick rub down of the alloys with baby wipes (I knew all those kids were useful for something!!) Im ready.

Must say pleased with shine. The rest of the day is a blur, every 40 mins there is a shower, by 1pm Ive chamoised 4 times!!! Then along comes Ian1982 and shortly followed by ASBOST, great to see some scirocconet members (although ASBO, that was the biggest dog I have ever seen!! :wtf: :shock: )

Had a good walk round, there are some lovely motors and some really REALLY dodgy ones. It appears I have the only MarkIII scirocco, and its getting LOADS of attention. Im parked in the scirocco class, me and 6 MarkII's, no contest so everyone says. My car is getting more attention than the rest put together!!

By 2 o'clock there are over 500 cars at the show, and over 250 VW's! Then, it happens, another MarkIII scirocco arrives. We later find out that it is the demonstrator from Agnews, a Candy White 2.0tdi (170bhp I think) 2010 model with DSG, Pano sunroof, leather and parking sensors. We have a chat to the guys, £24,995 its going for, nice car, I get to show Ian1982 why you NEED lowering springs on the roc, he agrees!

This is the first 2010 model I have seen in the flesh and I must say I like the changes, however, my brother notices that although its a 2010 model it still has the roof aerial! :wtf:

Turns out that quite often when there is changes to spec there is somewhat of an overlap as the use up the old stock. So despite this being a 2010 model with the 2010 dash and wheel it still has a roof aerial ( I quite liked it like that TBH) oh, and although it was a diesel, it was exceptionally quiet!!

Anyway, it was now 3.50pm and the prize giving/raffle started, I ended up winning a £100 bodywork/paint voucher from a local bodyshop (hope I dont need it!! :shock: :? ) but didnt win a prize, ah well. Maybe the judges dont appreciate the new roc's lines.

4.35pm, everyones leaving, even though I didnt win anything my car is getting more looks than anyone elses, I have a wee smirk, and out of the corner of the rear mirror I catch a glimpse of my bright pink face. Oooh I clash with my car!! Thats gona hurt in the morning, where's the aftersun!! :crazy: ah well It was a good day!! Good to meet you ASBOST, and great to see you again Ian. When you lads get your motors we will have to organise an NI photoshoot! Anyway here are all the pics of today!!

I loooove this, the amount of work is unreal..........

ooooooooooh cool super shiny roc!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Here is the 2010 170D, pano, leather,DSG, parking sensors, interlagos (Non-GT spec as not chrome tail pipes) really impressed. Would buy a diesel no probs. From right to left, first 2 guys are Agnews salesmen at the show (brought the roc) white haired gentleman isnt my father that is Ian 1982, next is the sex god that is Imitebeurda, then finally some random bloke with appalling dress sense!

Top right hand corner, bad clothes guy, then da's number 1 son, then da!!!!

Im sorry....................but that is ridiculously low!

...A few golfs to finish..........

Thats it guys, to my eternal regret certain pics didnt work out. The pic I took of all the 7 rocs (6 mark 2's and my one) and the Supercharged RS4 didnt come out, but hopefully this gives you a flavour of what was a superb day. As I said good to meet the scirocconet guys, and in summary from the reaction I got today the roc will be a future "classic" and a regular on the show scene!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Evil Derboy said:
Looks like a good day. Da, I'm not normally into those style of wheels but I have to say, every time I see your car, your wheels are totally badass! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Do you know what, I know it was a rushed job, but a coat of wax, and a coat of chemical guys on the wheels, then a coat of autoglym finishing at the show was amazing!! :wtf: :shock: :shock: :eek:

The car looked like a red mirror! Unbelievable shine off it. Its one of the few photos that show it I think........... :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Great review a good insight to a day in the life of imitebeurda.

Sounds like a good turnout given the weather. Not surprised the Roc was getting so many views as given it was so new considering the other cars there. Out of interest, how old were the judges as I think this would have some influence on the prize results.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh I know all the judges, all in early-mid 30's but some are real dubbers, I was with a couple when they were judging the MarkII golfs and they discounted one as its wheels were not available as a VW option until the MarkIII. :wtf: :crazy:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nice write up,definately sounds like you'd your work cut out both before the show and on the day. How'd you manage to wash the car when you got there? Due to work couldn't be there but was watching the weather all day at home wishing I could have went. Though it sounds like castlewellen had the worst of the weather! Why's that always the way you have great weather for weeks and then the days a wash out. Pain in the arse cleaning only to drive up the road and have it undone with every mile. Anymore shows coming up?

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BAIKAR said:
Nice write up,definately sounds like you'd your work cut out both before the show and on the day. How'd you manage to wash the car when you got there? Due to work couldn't be there but was watching the weather all day at home wishing I could have went. Though it sounds like castlewellen had the worst of the weather! Why's that always the way you have great weather for weeks and then the days a wash out. Pain in the arse cleaning only to drive up the road and have it undone with every mile. Anymore shows coming up?
Yeh BAIKAR loads coming up! ni-bmw show is at the end of august in carrick, and there are a few before that, also 2nd monday of every month there is a VW meet at sprucefield from 8pm on. When I got there there is an outside tap, so everyone was running back and forward with buckets for the first hour or two!! :crazy: Weather at Castlewellan was worse than elsewhere, although it wasnt too bad!

·
Registered
172 Posts
TonyIroc said:
Great review a good insight to a day in the life of imitebeurda.

Sounds like a good turnout given the weather. Not surprised the Roc was getting so many views as given it was so new considering the other cars there. Out of interest, how old were the judges as I think this would have some influence on the prize results.
Tony

Da wuz robbed, :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: it was the only car on show, there were some cars on stand even Arthur Daly wouldn't have sold. The shine was so deep the salsa red looked like tornado red. I have known this car as a demo and you wouldn't know it was the same set of wheels, fantastic.

Da

Is that ok, send the cheque in the post ;) :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
imitebeurda said:
Oh I know all the judges, all in early-mid 30's but some are real dubbers, I was with a couple when they were judging the MarkII golfs and they discounted one as its wheels were not available as a VW option until the MarkIII. :wtf: :crazy:
I used to know a guy who collected and restored old motorbikes. He said it was common at shows that bikes would lose point because the paintwork after a restoration was better than the paintwork when it left the factory. :eek:

Im sure Da will get a prize this summer, especially with all that elbow grease.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.