Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
You would get a much better deal paying a proffesional detailer the same amount of money and get much better longer lasting results. The things that Life Shine claim to do is pretty rubbish imo, however the glass treatment is good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My brother in law has a chemical company and one of his products is lifeshine by another name. He doesnt boast the lifetime guarantee claim for his product because it's rubbish.

Auto Glym play a numbers game. The extra revenue they get from marketing the product as lasting a lifetime and being guaranteed, is in excess of that lost from people calling in on the guarantee because they are not satisfied. It will give a good quality finish, but just not for the length of time they claim.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i remember the Honda garage offering some sort of plastic seal, to put overt he car, does anyone have further information about this

·
Registered
372 Posts
I did mine pure guard. It's a diamondbright type thing. Very good results, although i'll top it up with a few coats of wax when i get a chance.

·
Banned
86 Posts
think its a long of b#ll#x, no offence but half the time i think they don't put it on and just give you the bag of product

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I had the wifes touran dome when new, got it out of the dealer for £100 and 6 months on I must say it is very easy to clean and a quick wipe and buff with SRP finishes it off really well. That being said the new (ex demo) scirocco had not had it so I brought a new boxed kit of e-bay for £15 and will do it myself, at least that way I know it's on there and also applied thoroughly and consistently.
The interior in the Ran really does wipe clean and the glass picks up much less grime than without the lifeshine. Although not sure why they don't apply to screen, any ideas? Surely it's no different to rain X which I have used for years on all my cars and rarely ever have to use the wipers in any conditions as long as travelling above 35-40 mph.
Once I get the kit and apply I'll let you all know the results.

Cheers, Justin

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
So I got stuck into applying the lifeshine to the rocco this weekend, first gave a good wash and dry follwed by a thorough going over with SRP on the paint and used Autoglym glass cleaner on all exterior glass, also made sure the wheels were free of any brake dust or tar deposits before breaking out the gloss protector, easy to apply and plently in the bottle for the relatively small rocco, once this was on set about the glass, again easy to apply, in fact only took 5 mins (but I am pretty sure its the same stuff as rain x, looks the same, smells the same, goes on the same, buffs off the same even tastes the same :shock: After the glass protector was on set to buffing off the gloss protector, no trouble there bit of elbow grease and the job was done, and quite frankly it looks stunning, silky smooth and a deep reflection (even the cotton cloths won't sit on the paint, even on the relatively flat roof. Buffed up the glass then used the left over gloss protector to do the wheels, similar results. DId the interior today with no problems, guessing the gear works as the overspray on the patio caused the later rain to bead and roll away.
In summary, would not pay £300-£400 or whatever the stealers are aksing, but for £15 and a few hours in the sun it is well worth the effort. have got some pics but not yet got them off the camera, will get round to it in the week I am sure.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
All of these options that are offered by the dealer Lifeshine/Supaguard/Diamondbrite are an absolute con. If you look at any of the detailing websites they'll all tell you the same thing. You are better either getting the car professionally detailed (which will still cost less) or doing the job yourself with some good products.

Any product that is marketed as life-long lasting is just bollox. If you want your car properly protected from the elements you should wax it regularly to keep the paint sealed and protected. Even a regular application of the cheapest wax from Halfords will do a better job than a once in a lifetime treatment. There is no substitute for regular cleaning and maintenance and no shortcuts to a professional, showroom finish.

I'm sorry to say this but anyone who has paid £hundreds to a dealer for this and says that it makes a big difference wouldn't know the difference if I had polished their car with a bottle of turtle wax. These folks are trying to feel better about spending the cash by telling themselves it was actually worth it. It's not.

I'm sure the product itself is actually good but no more so than loads of other stuff on the market at a fraction of the cost. Buying it from ebay at 15 quid and applying yourself is far better value than paying some YTS guy at the dealership 400 quid to stick it on with a mucky cloth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts