Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know this isn't the most thrilling of topics but it is an important one (to me anyway).

My wife is expecting our first baby and we are trying to decide on car seats. The matching car seat for our buggy is the Maxi-Cosy CabrioFix. I had a fitting at John Lewis last weekend and the EasyFix base fitted really well with the IsoFix latches in the rear seats. Problem is MaxiCosy have not tested the unit in the Scirocco yet (and can't tell me when they will when I called them today). When the Maxi-Cosy CabrioFix carrier was strapped in without the base unit, it didn't seem very secure at all (moved around all over the shop when I shook it).

I have two questions for the forum:
1. Is anyone else using the Maxi-Cosy system in their Scirocco?
2. Any suggestions on other car seats/baby carriers that fit the ''sloping' seats in the back of the Scirocco?

Thanks is advance,

Moleyp (GT 2.0 Tsi in Rising blue - 58 plate)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
moleyp said:
Okay, I know this isn't the most thrilling of topics but it is an important one (to me anyway).

My wife is expecting our first baby and we are trying to decide on car seats. The matching car seat for our buggy is the Maxi-Cosy CabrioFix. I had a fitting at John Lewis last weekend and the EasyFix base fitted really well with the IsoFix latches in the rear seats. Problem is MaxiCosy have not tested the unit in the Scirocco yet (and can't tell me when they will when I called them today). When the Maxi-Cosy CabrioFix carrier was strapped in without the base unit, it didn't seem very secure at all (moved around all over the shop when I shook it).

2. Any suggestions on other car seats/baby carriers that fit the ''sloping' seats in the back of the Scirocco?

Thanks is advance,

Moleyp, we do not have the maxi cosi seat you refer to but another brand (not sure what that is either) but as the new born will have to be rear facing I would have thought getting any seat into the rear on the iso fix points will be a bit of a nightmare, unless it is a travel system that clips onto a base that stays in situ. Have you considered fitting the seat in the front and disabling the airbag while they are still so young this way you/mum will still be able to see them then getting some rear fitting seats when old enough to face forward?

I will take a look at ours later and tell you the brand and will also see how it fits in the rocco as to date have only taken our 3 yr old in his fwd facing seat.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Le_Savage said:
moleyp said:

Thanks is advance,

Moleyp, we do not have the maxi cosi seat you refer to but another brand (not sure what that is either) but as the new born will have to be rear facing I would have thought getting any seat into the rear on the iso fix points will be a bit of a nightmare, unless it is a travel system that clips onto a base that stays in situ. Have you considered fitting the seat in the front and disabling the airbag while they are still so young this way you/mum will still be able to see them then getting some rear fitting seats when old enough to face forward?

I will take a look at ours later and tell you the brand and will also see how it fits in the rocco as to date have only taken our 3 yr old in his fwd facing seat.
ditto, have a 20 month old in a forward facing seat and it is no problem. If I were you I would as Le_Savage said opt for a "click in" travel system. We are expecting twins anytime now :roll: :? :shock: and have the "Graco" click in travel system and when I tried this out the other week it was fine, it has an extendable leg that sits on the floor and adds extra stability. Seemed to work fine for me. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Le_savage/ imitebeurda,

Thanks for the info/advice. Much appreciated

This Cabrio easyfix is one of these travel systems (I think!). It seemed rock solid but John Lewis concerned me when they said they don't advise using it in cars not tested by the manufacturer (guess they have to say that to cover themselves though).

Do you know if the travel systems you guys use have been tested 'officically' in the Scirocco? Just trying to gauge whether this is something I need to be too worried about. Instinct says probably not if the travel system is very secure. All new to me though....

imitebeurda, best of luck with the twins :)

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
moleyp said:
Le_savage/ imitebeurda,

This Cabrio easyfix is one of these travel systems (I think!). It seemed rock solid but John Lewis concerned me when they said they don't advise using it in cars not tested by the manufacturer (guess they have to say that to cover themselves though).

Do you know if the travel systems you guys use have been tested 'officically' in the Scirocco? Just trying to gauge whether this is something I need to be too worried about. Instinct says probably not if the travel system is very secure. All new to me though....

Cheers, I will need it! :shock: Mine is definetely not because it was bought for my 20 month old so roc was not even out. As you say that is more than likely to cover themselves.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
imitebeurda said:
moleyp said:
Le_savage/ imitebeurda,

Cheers, I will need it! :shock: Mine is definetely not because it was bought for my 20 month old so roc was not even out. As you say that is more than likely to cover themselves.
Ours has not been officially checked in the rocco either as we had it for our 3 yr old, btw it's not a travel system but a britax first class si, it fits in the front no trouble but you'd never get the bairn in with it fixed in the back.
Also a word of warning about retailers, some of them know very little about the seats they are supposed to be trained to fit. When my wife brought the Britax seat for our then 18 month old from a certain retailer with an orange logo and begining with H and ending with fraud the 'trained' assistant could not work out how to fit the seat rear facing and sugegsted my wife just use it front facing as it is easier to get them in and out!!! She phoned me from the shop car park where they were standing and I checked out the seat on the manufacturers website and as it stated it would fit the touran both front and rear facing I told her to leave it and we then ordered one online saved £100 and fitted it ourselves.

I guess what I am really saying is when it comes to chld safety there can be no questions or doubts so call the manufacturer direct and see if they have tested the seat in the rocco but if they have not just be prepared to go to somewhere like I did and use there demo seats to trial fit in your car, but don't rely on the sales assistant, get the instructions and fit it yourself as that is the only way you'll be happy that a) it is secure b) it will work for you day to day.

After our experince we complained to the company and we told we were not the first people to have a problem with that store, both the assistant and the deputy manager were re-trained and the store manager found other employment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts