Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
If it is about £26k I will cry as I would gladly pay that for the R. But now I'm locked into a 3 year deal... ...for a car that doesn't start. But hey! I'm coping with it quite well. I've just started running around the car part with a bin liner and a bit of perspex with "Scirocco" written on it in Biro.

"BROOOM BROOOOM BROOOOOOOOM. MWEEEHHHHHH, MWEEEEHHHH, MWEEEHHHHH, BRRUMM.... Anyone like a lift???"

Don't understand why people keep looking at me funny. Must be jealous.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Suggest it sensible to read at least 3 different reviews of any Scirocco model you are interested in to get a balanced view. The 2.0 TSI is clearly the fastest Scirocco but this does not mean it is necessarily the best version for everyone.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tallguy said:
Suggest it sensible to read at least 3 different reviews of any Scirocco model you are interested in to get a balanced view. The 2.0 TSI is clearly the fastest Scirocco but this does not mean it is necessarily the best version for everyone.
agreed, and at the end of the day a review is only one mans opinion, but having said that most tests come the the same conclusions :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think we are lucky in that the Scirocco is a great car and everyone has their own opinion of which model is best for them.
I don't think there is a 'dud' in the range although I believe petrol suits a sports coupe better than diesel - but that is just my opinion and others will differ.

·
Registered
411 Posts
TonyIroc said:
Yes I'm hoping but I think realistically I thin around £28k and then another few thousand for options.
That would make it more expensive than an S3. Considering Audi are generally more expensive than VW, I'd have thought that they'd have priced it under the S3, since they're both the same power / similar size etc. Well... I'm HOPING that anyway! The good thing about VW is that they tend to throw in things that Audi charge as optional extras - like light and rain pack, lumbar supports etc.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tallguy said:
I think we are lucky in that the Scirocco is a great car and everyone has their own opinion of which model is best for them.
I don't think there is a 'dud' in the range although I believe petrol suits a sports coupe better than diesel - but that is just my opinion and others will differ.
ill not comment on the diesel thing i will go with no comment :roll:

·
Registered
11 Posts
p3eps said:
TonyIroc said:
Yes I'm hoping but I think realistically I thin around £28k and then another few thousand for options.
That would make it more expensive than an S3. Considering Audi are generally more expensive than VW, I'd have thought that they'd have priced it under the S3, since they're both the same power / similar size etc. Well... I'm HOPING that anyway! The good thing about VW is that they tend to throw in things that Audi charge as optional extras - like light and rain pack, lumbar supports etc.
Lets hope VW throw in 4WD then!

At £26k the car will be well over priced when compared to an S3. The S3 will more than likely retain more value aswell.

Steve

·
Registered
315 Posts
Whether you are talking S3 or Scirocco R, I do wonder whether on our congested, pot-holed and restricted roads you are really going to be able to use the full performance of these cars over say a 2.0 TSI? I suspect there will be those that buy an R just so they can be seen to be 'superior' to lesser Sciroccos?

·
Registered
411 Posts
tallguy said:
Whether you are talking S3 or Scirocco R, I do wonder whether on our congested, pot-holed and restricted roads you are really going to be able to use the full performance of these cars over say a 2.0 TSI? I suspect there will be those that buy an R just so they can be seen to be 'superior' to lesser Sciroccos?
If you think like that, then shouldn't you just buy a Smart car? Whats the point in having anything that goes above 70mph since thats the speed limit ;)
Is there such a thing as 'lesser' Sciroccos? People generally buy what they can afford and what suits them - whether its a 1.4 for cheap insurance, or a 140 Diesel for cheaper running costs. Each to their own...

·
Registered
315 Posts
I certainly do not suggest we all drive Smart cars (perish the thought) rather that the 2.0 TSI is a quick car and that even more performance has little practical use on our conjested and badly maintained roads.
I guess with cars you always come back to that macho thing of 'my car is quicker than yours' which probably has it's origins in 'mine is bigger than yours'.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Power and Torque give a lot more to a cars overall drivability than just how fast it goes top end, such as the acceleration, from a standing start or when already on the move twhich comes in handy when pulling out of junctions or overtaking, both of which have become more difficult on our decaying and overcongested roads... so one could well argue that you are actually safer to have a more powerful car.

I also remember many years ago my dad topped up my hard saved cash so I could buy a more powerful car stating his reasons as "driving that 1.1 polo would be dangerous as it did not have the power to get you out of trouble".

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tallguy said:
come to cumbria tallguy we have hundreds of miles of quiet country roads, this is on my door step http://www.visitcumbria.com/pen/hartside.htm :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.