Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What weight saving can I expect to gain from a carbon fiber bonnet? Just looking to see if it justifies the price.

·
Registered
484 Posts
take off the bonnet and weight it haha

·
Registered
484 Posts
haha had 2 b said

·
Banned
86 Posts
a mkv golf cf bonnet is about 10kg lighter, you'd be looking at a bigger wait saving on the roc, trouble is a lot of the bonnets look pants in terms of panel gap

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
I'd say between 10KG-15KG but the craftsmanship must be next to none, because it will look awful and it may not seat well.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Yup it aint going to be worth it mate, the best option is just to plate it with CF sheeting... its what I'm doing to my grill and side sills.

·
Registered
283 Posts
you'd be better off getter lighter alloys flux :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
you'd be better off getter lighter alloys flux :mrgreen:

No Comment! LMAO

Flux could you make a mould from an original bonnet and make a CF from that?
Seriously? If so I guess you could, But it will have to be perfect frankly, there will be some bridges to cross but should be possible, however, it will be a long job ;)

·
Registered
618 Posts
How do you think the Pro's do it?

They make a blank using an oem bonnet and then produce copies from that.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Exactly pro's lol, i aint a pro with CF seen as so i aint ever worked with it but i'll give it ago then let you guys know :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Seriously? If so I guess you could, But it will have to be perfect frankly, there will be some bridges to cross but should be possible, however, it will be a long job ;)
Yeah, i know from making a few fibre glass panels before if you make a mould using an original piece by just laying fibre glass over the top the get a lovely smooth mould to work with, obviously the scale is slightly bigger and i've very little experiance with CF. Theres some amazing composite guys at work so ill have a word with them tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts