Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so im pretty certain im going to superchip the beast but im just concerned about reliability afterwards mainly due to extra power on the same parts, just to highlight what i mean heres a list of differences from a std 197 Golf GTI to a 230bhp Pirelli one:

Differences between the Volkswagen Golf GTI Engine and the Volkswagen Golf Edition 30 and Pirelli Engine.

* Larger Turbo from S3 (K04) rather then the K03 on the GTI
* 87°C thermostat instead of 80°C
* Larger capacity fuel injectors (13% higher flow)
* Larger intercooler (smaller then the S3)
* Engine block main bearing caps, pedestals are reinforced
* Conrods have larger rod bolts and new bearings
* Pistons have 21mm gudgeon pins instead of 19mm
* Piston top ring is improved
* Recirculation Valve (blow off valve) not located on turbo

So if the engine has that many changes for just 30bhp more then surely for 50BHP more it could cause grief?

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
BlancBon, I had the same concerns before I superchipped my 2.0tsi. I have previously had a 2.0 megane, a audi A4 2.0tdi and a BMW 525d superchipped and I had neither reliability or dealer/warranty issues with any of the cars. However, I like you felt that a 50+bhp increase could add a considerable amount of extra strain to the engine and with a 25% increase in power would it cause any additional wear and tear to the engine or turbo?

I spoke directly with superchips and they re-assured me that firstly, they endlessly test the engine and its stress limits before releasing a remap. They assured me that any remap they release is well within the engines tolerance levels and that is why with a superchips remap you get a 12 month guarantee free. (an extended warranty can be purchased for an additional cost) I know there are a number of different parts but dont forget it is the same engine that it is in the seat leon cupra (240bhp) and the audi S3 (268bhp).

They certainly re-assured me and in the 2 and a half months since I had mine remapped its been great!! ;) If you do have any specific concerns I suggest you email superchips direct, via their website, (its what I did!!) and I am sure they will alay any concerns you have.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
BlancBon said:
Cheers again mate, im so tempted i just worry bout fookin a 20k motor, ill prob just do it anyway tho lol
As I said I had the same issues. I suppose thats one of the reasons I went for a dealer remap rather than the DIY bluefin. I just wasnt happy with the idea of me messing about with the ECU on a £20K+ car! :oops: But I am so glad I had it done!! ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been looking into it and it looks like the EA888 in the scirocco is massively understressed too so a chip will be just putting it nearer to the levels it was designed for, maybe VW just wanted to wait until the GTI was out before upping power?

·
Registered
283 Posts
BlancBon said:
Ok so im pretty certain im going to superchip the beast but im just concerned about reliability afterwards mainly due to extra power on the same parts, just to highlight what i mean heres a list of differences from a std 197 Golf GTI to a 230bhp Pirelli one:

Differences between the Volkswagen Golf GTI Engine and the Volkswagen Golf Edition 30 and Pirelli Engine.

So if the engine has that many changes for just 30bhp more then surely for 50BHP more it could cause grief?
BlancBon the changes mean when you remap a Ed30/Pirelli you end up with circa 300+ bhp :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
wigit said:
BlancBon said:

BlancBon the changes mean when you remap a Ed30/Pirelli you end up with circa 300+ bhp :mrgreen:
A superchips remap has been extensively tested..You should have no concerns.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
sciroccorocket said:
one thing to remember 90% of the time you wont be using full power, so in every day use there will be no more stress than a standard car,
;) exactly, most of the time the real difference you will feel is the extra pulling power (torque) in higher gears. Where before the remap I had to drop it down to 5th or even 4th to overtake, now I just leave it in 6th. (although if Im in the mood I might still stick it in 4th for the hell of it!! :D )

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a T-Reg golf gti (mk4) 150bhp standard and had a remap done by Revo which took it to 206bhp. I remapped it at 50k and the engine was still running sweet at 117k, had no problems at all and i had the car 6 years.

So from my view the VW engines are very good/strong and reliable. I wont hesitate to get mine remaped when i get it. Picking mine up wednesday, will probably drive it for a couple of months and then have it remaped.

Does anyone know if Revo Teknick or Jabba Sport have remaps for the scirroco?

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
l8ters said:
I had a T-Reg golf gti (mk4) 150bhp standard and had a remap done by Revo which took it to 206bhp. I remapped it at 50k and the engine was still running sweet at 117k, had no problems at all and i had the car 6 years.

So from my view the VW engines are very good/strong and reliable. I wont hesitate to get mine remaped when i get it. Picking mine up wednesday, will probably drive it for a couple of months and then have it remaped.

Hi l8ters, welcome along. There are plenty of remaps now on the market, dont forget though superchips is a site sponsor and does a great deal for members ;)

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Evil Derboy said:
Welcome l8ters!

I'm going to go for the Bluefin for the following reasons:

1) I like gadgets
2) I don't need to trek to a tuner and do the whole rolling road thing. Can't be bothered with that
3) I can change it back to stock and back again if I want.
the exact reason i went for the bluefin

·
Registered
372 Posts
l8ters said:

I'm running Revo select plus (parents also have it too). Has transformed the cars so it gets a high recommendation from me. Neither car has had any problems so far and they also do extensive testing on the cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.