Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I wouldn't mind a little more oomph from my ROC. I've heard stories that the 2.0t FSI engine when fitted in the Golf GTi is very very chippable and that some companies do it in such a way that it's not detectable so you have nothing to fear by having it done and not declaring to your insurer.

Is this a load of cobblers? If you chip your motor, will someone be able to tell?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers,

RichRoc

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had mine done by AMD. They say the map will not be detected by the dealer, unless they drive it! The only problem I will have is if the dealer updates the ECU then the software would be wiped off. I would then have to go back and pay £50 I think it was to get the map put back onto the car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
These days they don't need to add a "chip" - that was obviously detectable as you could see the soldering etc - but with the software available now they can overwrite the existing chip with a new map, as the ECU can only hold one map at a time it hard to detect at the dealers unless they have two cars side by side and do a compare of the maps.

I will be doing a remap soon, once I have saved up for my "wish list" just going to do it at a local tuning garage, will spend time with them and have the car on the rolling road and leave with a re-map that will be safe and will be to my requirements - my main requirement from the remap isn't an increase in hp, its a quicker throttle response - so might only get them to increase by 25-30hp nothing mad - nothing that involves having to upgrade other parts of the car (coolers etc)

Up here in Scotland we have a lot of mobile people doing work for VTune etc but they email away your ECU's map in a file, a new file is sent back to them within an hour and they upload it - for me this isn't what I want as I want it tested on the rolling road, spend time on it getting it perfect - although this is only £250!

I've only come across one branded tuning garage called Dastek but they want around £500 for the remap with the rolling road but this is £200 more than the local tuning garage in Edinburgh.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Just a quick one, if you have dsg then the remap will confuse your gearbox. On sport mode our ed 30 doesn't know which gear to use because of the torque increase. I had to have the extra torque removed from a gt 170 we had, but left the bhp there cos the dsg was constantly hunting for the right gear in normal mode.

·
Registered
283 Posts
technically if you don't tell your insurance company and the worst happens your insurance is null and avoid so you take your risk, not all insurers touch remaps either

loads of people go number chasing, however, a member on another forum shamed a lot of 300+ golf gti's at santa pod because they could not put the power down, the one's he could not get near were well sorted machines with quaiffe diffs, given the amount of power your are trying to put therough the fronts, its easy to go number chasing, however, doesn't always make it more drivable, business manager i have read about the torque issues on dsg and some maps limit the torque for dsg

my car is booked in for a remap, its declared on my insurance, its being done on a rolling road, and it will allow me to revert back to a standard map should i so wish in bouts of inclemant weather, for me the jury is still out on whether i remap our golf to just under 300 as i'm not totally convinced

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
any map can limit the torque unless they are useless, I would advise this strongly for any dsg box. I personally wouldn't bother remapping ed 30 or pirelli, the cars are great anyway. Scirocco, I'd worry about it. Feedback from members would be good.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i drive a manual and have no issue getting it mapped, dsg boxes are now in s3s and r32s so more used to the torque, also other parts prone to failure on origianl gtis have been updated, interesting is you speak to Racingline (Volkswagen Racing) how many stock parts they keep on their road and race cars with remaps

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
wigit you are probably better informed than me, I only speak from my experience with maps I've had. I personally think scirocco is very well balanced and doesn't need any more power, but take on board you're comments. It maybe nice with a few extra bhp without torque issues.

·
Registered
283 Posts
bm only want the roc engine to feel more like the 230ps golf motor, rocco is far more sorted car, but the 230ps engine is a gem

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Sorry for the rude intrusion lol... Bt I'm lost, i will have a DSG so what... 'I can have the torque and the BHP' or 'I can't have the torque only the BHP'

Sorry for the blonde moment!.

·
Registered
283 Posts
my guess is the both given we are looking around 240-260 on a remap depending who does it

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
LOL it is but depends how much of it you've got. ie chip a 140ps to 170ps then it'll be fine, I know cos we did this to the first mk5 golfs. Chip it to 200ps then the 400nm of torque starts to confuse the box. The gti's were fine when we chipped them to 250ps but at 300ps it starts to confuse it in sport.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
further to this there must be some way of making a dsg handle 300ps because r36 carries this and is dsg as standard. Thats from a normally aspirated engine though so maybe the torque isn't as big as these blown out turbocharged things.

·
Banned
86 Posts
vw have always said around 350nm is a limit, others have gone past it and dealt with it, take my advice flux and phone a tuner and they will tell you the reasons, i do think 250bhp off a roc is going to cause to much concern given audi s3's now come with dsg and that shows 350nm for manula or dsg and that is a 265ps engine, the 170ps tdi is also showing 350nm

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Thanks Guys... I see you are saying that 350 is the limit Im guessing that nm what is that in lb.ft's the predicted outputs that AMD are showing seem to be fine...

this is what AMD are showing
"Scirocco
Engine type : 2.0T FSI
Fuel Type : Petrol

Original bhp : 200
Original lb.ft : 207

BHP increase : +60bhp
Lb.ft gain : +78lb.ft"
That should be fine... Right?

Just done some calculations...
285 lb.ft = 386nm Bugger lol i guess amd can bring that down to a recommended limit.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i would share penfolds view to speak to people who are the experts, there are loads of differing views and there are loads of options and indeed people are indeed offering remaps to dsg software, loads of mkvs are running 30bhp out there with dsg

350nm equates to 258lbs.ft the gains on the AMD car from Chr15 are higher as he also had a milltek exhaust and some help form a panel filter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
Had an interesting e-mail from Superchips last week, regarding a "Bluefin" for the 2.0 GT.
They can do an in house remap at the moment, but will soon be producing the "Bluefin" for the Scirocco
quoting a 56bhp increase.
The beauty of the "Bluefin" is that you can load the remap for increased bhp, or reload the factory default as required.
The thing with Superchips is that they do the tuning for VAG Motorsport, so should be reliable - hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts