Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure everyone here understands the excitement of choosing and speccing your Scirocco, love the design and features, great drive, the salesman suggested we get to the showroom early today to collect it, so we arrived at the showrooms about 9 ish. Went through the usual paperwork and then to my gleaming GT TSI 200. Big smiles as we went through the Sat Nav and other goodies, although a little disappointed that the I-Pod I brought along couldn't be connected due to not having the correct Apple lead.

My wife and I were really impressed with the the ride home and congratulated ourselves on a great combined decision to buy this car , however it was on the arrival at home that the problems started. As always it was left to me to familiarize with the switches and gadgets and everything was performing as expected, but the I-Pod wouldn't kick in, then to my horror, the audio stopped and a warning sign popped up in the multifunction computer advising me that there was a malfunction with the airbags!! At this point a feeling of panic set in as not only was i getting this warning but the car wouldn't start either, turned the key and only got a series of clicks.

Phoned the manager of the showroom, was advised that this was the first time they had heard of this problem (why me :( ) and that we should call the VW assistance and have my 2 hour old Scirocco towed back to the showroom, diagnostics for the Scirocco (I was told) cannot be done on my drive and would have to be returned to the dealers workshop. The RAC arrived and did a great job getting it off my drive and onto the tow truck, but whilst it was making its way onto the truck and raised off the ground, we all noticed scratches under the front bumper, definitely not done by the RAC guys as i was watching all the time as you can imagine a feeling of utter disbelief, so thats how things stand currently, VW dealer manager has promised me swift action, but it still leaves a bitter taste in mouth.

With regards to I-Pod situation, i was told that the I-Pod should plug in via the Auxiliary and not the MDI input connection, i was also told that it doesn't recharge the I-Pod with the Auxiliary connection, again something else i need to resolve as i believe this is crazy for such a hi-tech car, my previous car had the I-Pod lead in the glove box, connected and recharged the I-pod, very simple. A disappointing end to the day, no regrets about my choice though, just hope things can be resolved quickly.

·
Registered
484 Posts
jesus u got a bad one boy hopefully it will b sorted straight away

·
Registered
484 Posts
just thinkin there could the clickin b a flat battery

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for suggestion turbo, anything is possible i guess, although, the RAC guy didn't think it was battery related and the manager is not committing himself until the workshop has diagnosed the situation tomorrow.

·
Registered
484 Posts
ya the computer will show everything up anyway

·
Registered
173 Posts
There feeding you shit about the ipod anyway. It plugs into the MDI by the cable that is supplied with the car. You should have 2 cables, one USB one and an ipod one, no need to use the apple USB you use for connecting to your computer. I think a lot of dealers try to fob you off but they definately should give them with the car, they have a memo from VW stating this is the case. Oh and mine charges my iphone.

Sorry to hear about the problems with the car though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
chr15 said:
There feeding you shit about the ipod anyway. It plugs into the MDI by the cable that is supplied with the car. You should have 2 cables, one USB one and an ipod one, no need to use the apple USB you use for connecting to your computer. I think a lot of dealers try to fob you off but they definately should give them with the car, they have a memo from VW stating this is the case. Oh and mine charges my iphone.

Sorry to hear about the problems with the car though!
This is all true. I was given the iPod cable and USB when I collected mine

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's bad - am collecting mine tomorrow and can't wait, but having read this will try and save excitement until I get it home trouble-free!

I went to have a look at it yesterday while I was trading in my Seat Leon (long story as to why not doing it all on the same day). Kind of wish I hadn't, as although the dealer assured me it would be gleaming by the time I collect it, it was clear it hadn't been touched since being picked up at Sheerness. dusty, dirty, still little bits of white plastic attached to the black bonnet... Don't they realise how nice this car should look?!

·
Registered
658 Posts
God thts really bad..... iv just ad a call from vw mine is just been taken off the lorry thn es off 4 a clean n polish thn i can go pick him up!!! excited!
Louise :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Open All Hours said:
With regards to I-Pod situation, i was told that the I-Pod should plug in via the Auxiliary and not the MDI input connection
Whoever told you that doesn't know what their talking about, the VW iPod cable does work through the MDI and charges it at the same time - you can also control the tracks from the steering by using this method. However not all iPods are compatible I had a 40GB 3rd Gen iPod that didn't even come on with their cable so I ended up buying the new nano - works perfectly now. I've never even tried the Aux - what you might need to do is activate AUX through the stereo settings.

What type of iPod do you have - model/generation?

Shame about the rest of the car situ, I hope they resolve it soon otherwise demand another car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your comments, heres the current update situation to yesterdays 'Bad Experience'. We had to do some chasing up first thing, no returned calls initially, the general manager of the showroom then personally got involved and things moved along pretty quickly, diagnostics pointed towards a faulty battery (good call turbo ;) ). Battery has been replaced, I wasn't going to accept a recharge and in fairness they willingly changed it without too much hassle from me.

The I-Pod situation has now been resolved, seems most of the staff at the dealership are not knowledgeable about this technology, i quoted the comments posted here and also the new Scirocco brochure tells them exactly what can be done, to quote 'with I-Pod and USB cables it enables you to connect and charge a compatible device' eventually it was agreed all that was needed is the correct lead in the Multi Device Interface and now everything is working great. the final problem was the few scratches on a small section under the bumper which could only be seen if the vehicle was raised and was probably caused whilst unloading from the transporter, this has now been rectified to.

A bouquet of flowers for my wife was in the car when it was returned to my house tonight, which was a nice gesture, so hopefully we can now begin experiencing what a great car we know the scirocco to be, smile back on our faces and delighted these problems have now been put behind us.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Good to hear of the happy ending!!!

Now you can start really enjoying it - and the attention you are about to receive :lol:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Good to hear it was only the battery. I sure all sorts went through your head but thats something you can live with.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm impressed with their customer service - the flowers was a nice touch, not many dealers would do that mate.

·
Registered
484 Posts
ya all sorted now for ya thank god not a bad guess out of me. we have had a few cars come back like that in our garage

1 - 19 of 19 Posts