Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Got my Scirocco yesterday evening! I am delighted with it, lots of heads turning, even a few stalker's and photographer's! :lol:
I was showing the car to the lad's in work today when someone pointed out a build up of condensation in both headlights. :shock:
I don't know is it because it's so cold at the moment? :(
The condensation does not cover all of the headlights but only the front corners.

Doozer.

·
Registered
484 Posts
oh lovely a very common prob in the garage i work at anyway get them changed under warrenty

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got on to the dealer today he told me to drive the car for a week with the daytime driving lights on all the time.
If that doesn't clear the condensation he'll get the headlights replaced.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Virtually all VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda suffer from it, its perfectly normal, and little you can do about it.

Its not a prblem with the headlights, new ones will do it aswell.

It is because desptie what you might expect the lights are not sealed units, they have vents to let them breathe and as such they condensate in certain weather conditions.

You could stuff some silica gel in the back of the unit if you can find a space if it really bothers you, but it'll only be a short term fix.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not received my car yet but had exactle the same on my old 3 series BMW, it rained alot when I first go the car (in October) and the condensation lasted for a couple of weeks or so but once it went it never returned again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A lot of BMWs I notice have condensation in the headlights but I can say I notice it in any of the VAG range myself. If the problem persist I think I would like with it and only change the headlights again just before the warranty runs out or you sell it. Otherwise you could be making a few trips to the dealer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been getting this on and off a little recently. I also had it in the Eos I had previously, and I get it in my sensible Accord Tourer. Nothing to worry about I'd say..............

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right, drove to the dealer yesterday to get the headlights replaced or so I thought!
told me that they won't replace the headlights :cry:
I got an e-mail this morning from dealer. Below is VW's response on this issue :twisted:

With regards to you headlamps on your scirocco â€" this is the information we have received from VW with regards to this issue â€"

“Air humidity tends to settle on cold surfaces. When switched on great heat is created in the lamps which is released via the vents (open system). If the lamps are switched off, they cool down and cold, humid air is sucked in via the ventilation. The air settles as condensation on the coldest point from the inside on the glass. On the lamps this is mainly the glass. This is a normal physical process.

This has always been the case, but has been less or not at all noticeable on the old type of glass.

In stationary or when driving the condensation passes off.

But the condensation may recur.

Whereas the light passage area of the glass dries quickly when the light is on and especially when driving, this takes sometimes longer around the edge and the customers suspect a fault.

Technically this remaining steaming-up is insignificant.

But what are the reasons for this slow thawing?

On modern lamp systems with clear glass the light is not aligned by the lens any more but through a lens system and a reflector. The light beam hits the centre of the glass and it takes therefore longer this the edge of the glass warms up. As a result, the thawing is slower towards the edge of the glass. “

·
Registered
484 Posts
haha andy u were right but always worth a try 2 change them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts