Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...not of the car itself I might ad. I am (was) loving it but the local dealer has now had it for longer than I have.

1st May - 2:00pm
Car arrives (minus iPOD lead that I had specifically asked for). have trouble getting the car started ("immobiliser fault" - showing on the display). Called VW assistance and got the RAC. The reckoned there was a problem with the key coding system. Turns out if you leave the key in the ignition for ten minutes the car starts fine. The minute you lock/unlock, the problem re-occurs. He writes me a report and tells me to take it to ***** the next morning. Should be a simple fix. I call the lease company and let them know and also ask for the missing iPOD cable. PS I have taken a day off work to wait for the car to be delivered. Turns out it has been sitting in a yard for 2 days that's half an hour away from my house.

2nd May
Go to *****. Car is booked in for Tuesday evening. Not a simple fix after all. On the way notice that the fuel gauge says ZERO even though I just filled up.

5th May
Get call from leasing company. Supplying dealer apologises about Ipod cable. Will be sent to me by special delivery ASAP. Drop car off at dealer.

6th May
Radio silence from dealer. Call in at 1pm to get update. "No technician has been allocated to the car just yet sir" (why was I told to drop it off on the night before then?). Someone will call me back soon.
No call. I chase up at 4:00pm. "Someone is now working on the car and it might be ready at 6pm. But would be better if we can aim for tomorrow morning as we are so busy". I agreed to wait.

7th May
Radio silence from dealer. Call at 10:00am to get update. "Can't find anything wrong. Car is displaying fault codes for fuel gauge and immobiliser. Test plan says simply clear these down and problem should be solved. We want to leave it for a while and try it again just to make sure. Will call you to let you know but should be fine". Seeing as they haven't been very good at making calls I agree that unless I get a call beforehand I will come and collect at 1:00pm. "yeah that's fine. I'll ring if any problems"

7th May - 1pm
Gets a lift to the dealer. Sign the paperwork. "Yeah car is ready. here's your keys. Cheerio". Finds car, surprised to find the gleaming car that I gave them is now filthy. Jumps in. :D . Starts car. Car dies "immobiliser active" :evil: Walks back to service dept and hands back the keys. "Oh problem will be a bit tricky now. We'll need to keep it." You have my number, leaves.

8th May
10:00am. Calls for update "yeah there's definitely a problem", NO SHIT!, "We can't get the car to start at all now so def a problem somewhere, Waiting on a technical enquiry coming back from VW head office in Milton Keynes. We'll give you a call"

11th May
No call from dealer. I call them "Oh yes. Car needs a new instrument cluster. On back order from VW. May be up to 3 weeks before we get one. We're trying to sort you out a courtesy car". I don't need a courtesy car. I still have my old one for the time being. What I need is for people to call me when they say they will and let me know what's going on. "Really sorry. We'll get the part as soon as we can".

11th May
leasing company calls re. iPod Cable. "yeah the dealer has just received it back. No one at the address". What address? Guy them proceeds to read out the head office address of my partners employer (The NHS!). I go mental. Guy agrees to sort. I ask for delivery date of the car to be revised in terms of the financials so that the date is now the date that I actually get the car back in a driveable and fault free condition from the dealers. He'll look into it.

11th May
***** calls back (there's a first time for everything). They can definitely give me a car , if and when I require it. I tell them I'll let them know when I need it.

And there we are. Magic eh? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
658 Posts
If u bought a pair of shoes that was faulty..ud take em back for a refund!!!!

Thats well pants!!! :cry:

·
Registered
508 Posts
i've heard that if the car is this faulty and problematic wwithin the first two weeks of ownership, you can give the car back and expect a full refund, or a brand new car (you would just have to wait another 13 weeks for delivery).

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What makes it a bit more complex is that the car is leased and the dealer that is doing the work isnt the dealer that supplied the car to the leasing company. The car isn't showing up on the leasing company's system just yet so I'm speaking to the broker who is looking into the situation and calling me back.

I don't want to wait for a new factory order but I don't want to be charged monthly lease rentals on a car that I don't have so if they revise the delivery date in respect to the leasing payment plan I'll be happy with that.

I've also written a letter to the Managing Director of the ***** group to tell him what a laugh his servicing department in ***** is.

I've got a shiny new set of speakers waiting to be fitted. I just want the car back working as it should.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Evil Derboy, that is a nightmare story mate! Just shows you that although the roc is a lovely motor the "dealer experience" can really add or detract from your enjoyment of the car. Hopefully the dealer does something in way of compensation (maybe a wheel upgrade??! :D ) in lieu of compensation for both the bad service and the amount of time you have had to take off work!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dude, this is so bad - lets hope these things are in the minority...im surprised your leasing company has not been kicking ass to get it fixed for you, as the more time it spends in the garage the less time they are collecting payments right?

Out of interest, was it a factory build or a stock car? I guess it doesnt make much difference but it seems like you've had a seriously bad run with all this.

Its also amazing how many dealers are still struggling with the iPod connection cable and supply of!

Cheers, Tim

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car is from stock. No chance of a wheel upgrade as the dealer doing the work isnt the one who supplied the motor. The leasing company are now on the case. I'm waiting for them to come back to me about amending the delivery date on the agreement. So will chase up tomorrow.

To be honest. This hasn't put me off the car. I'm really looking forward to getting it back. It'll be like taking delivery all over again! Maybe the fact that I've had problems with every single car I've ever owned bar one has made me thick skinned about these things. I just get really frustrated by incompetent service. I don't mind problems but I expect nothing less than the earth being moved to put them right.

Thinking about it, read this list. How sad is this!? :D

1st Car: 1985 Toyota MR2 (Needed new clutch)
2nd: 1991 Ford Fiesta XR2i (Needed new ECU)
3rd: 1994 Mazda Mx6 (Needed new wheel bearing)
4th: 2003 Audi A3 1.9 Diesel (no problems. Hurray!)
5th: 2000 Golf GTi (New Heater matrix, New oil gallery gasket, electric window repaired)
6th 2008 Audi TT (New fuel tank, window trim replacement)
7th 2009 Scirocco (New Dash Cluster)

Everyone of these issues popped up within the first couple of weeks of ownership. Cars don't like me I tell you! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and if anyone is interested here is my letter of complaint to the MD of the ***** Group.

Mr ***** *****
***** Ltd

11th May 2009

Dear Charlie,

As the owner of a (considerably smaller and more modest) business I understand how important it is to get feedback (good or bad) from my customers so that I can continually monitor our processes and make sure that each customer is receiving the best possible experience that we can offer.

For that reason I decided to write to you rather than one of your managers about the recent service that I have been receiving from your branch in *****. I wish I could tell you that it has been a happy experience and applaud your staff on their handling of my problem, but unfortunately on this occasion I can’t.

Without wishing to bore you to tears here’s a brief timeline of what’s been happening:

1st May - Friday
My brand new Scirocco GT arrives courtesy of Lex Vehicle Leasing (via what seems like twenty different brokers and a transport company or two).

Everything seems hunky dory until later that day I discover a problem with the immobiliser (“Immobiliser Active â€" SAFE”) and call up VW Assistance. They advise that the car is having a problem recognising the ignition key codes. It is driveable with some amount of inconvenience but will have to be booked in.

2nd May - Saturday
I take the car to your ***** branch and deal with an extremely pleasant fellow (who’s name now escapes me but he will have recently transferred to your ***** branch). What a great first impression! Car is booked in and will be sorted under VW warranty. Arrange to take the car in on Tuesday night, which I do.

6th May â€" Wednesday â€" 1:30pm
I call to check on the car to be told that despite having been with them since the night before, no one has even looked at it yet. They will call back.

After no call comes in, I call again at 3:00pm and am told car might be ready for 6pm if they push it but better to wait till the following morning if possible. I agree to wait.

7th May â€" Thursday â€" 10:00am
I call for an update and am told the car is fixed. They want to do a final check but should be fine. Agree that (as they haven’t been very good at calling me so far) if I don’t hear anything to the contrary, I’ll come and get the car at 12:00pm. Agreed.

At 12:00pm I arrive and am told the car is ready. Fill out the paperwork and go find my car. No one knows what bay number its in so I go off and try to find it (after telling my friend, who gave me a lift he can go). I find my car. It’s filthy. I spent five hours on the previous Saturday polishing the damn thing and now it looks like it has taken part in some kind of cross country swamp race. Not to worry at least it’s fixed. I jump in and try to start the car “IMMOBILISER ACTIVE â€" SAFE”. Car won’t start.

As you can imagine by this point I’m starting to lose my sense of humour…

8th May â€" Friday â€" 1:30pm
No phone call from *****. I call to chase up.

“Well the good news is there’s definitely a fault.” Oh really?
“yes. We can’t get the car to start at all now” Oh well that is good news!?
“We’re waiting on a technical query being answered from VW head office. We’ll call you later”

11th May â€" Monday â€" 10:00am (Today)
No phone call so far, so I call them. Turns out the car needs a new instrument cluster which is on back order at VW and could take up to 3 weeks to arrive. They have been trying to organise a courtesy car for me. If anyone had bothered to keep their promise and call me I would have told them that I don’t need or want a courtsey car at the moment. I only want to be kept up to date about what’s happening. As it stands, ***** have had my car for longer than I have.

It’s not *****’s fault that the car is broken or that the part is on back order, but the service that I’ve received so far is laughable. Actually arriving to collect my car only to find it filthy and with the fault still so obviously present at the first sign, is very dissapointing indeed.

No employee or business owner sets out to provide a poor service but it’s obvious that either procedures within the servicing department are not being followed or procedures haven’t been developed to properly keep the customer informed and looked after.

In any case I think it highlights the need for some attention. I fully expect for the car to come back with various rattles or other problems due to it not being screwed back together properly. I expect that I will have to keep calling to be kept up to date. I expect that I’ll be let down by ***** again before this problem is resolved.

What I should expect is outstanding service, from a reputable, main dealer that I want to tell my friends about, that exceeds my expectations, that makes me buy into the ***** brand, that makes me want to come back for more. Unfortunately, at the moment, I only expect to avoid giving *****'s servicing department any future business.

“ Not being the biggest car retailer in the marketplace means that we have to try that bit harder to keep our customers happy - we have to offer a better customer-experience than our competitors. And we passionately believe that the way to be better is through our values and through our people. We have created a working environment where respect and trust are the cornerstones of our business. And as a result we have happy ***** people who are committed to delivering a customer experience that is simply "best in class". “

The above text is the opening introduction from your website. “best in class” must still be an ambition rather than a reality.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
169 Posts
Love your letter, but would love to see the response (if any) from that chap... With any luck he'll kick some ass and sort your problems out for you as a matter of haste.

Whilst the dealerships are all franchisees, perhaps its worth just touching base with VW just to log your un-happiness. Ultimately, VW are responsible for ensuring that their dealers in the field uphold the reputation and resolve issues quickly and efficiently... you never know, might either get something free and/or put pressure on the idiots at your local branch to sort there freaking lives out.

Cheers, Tim

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
timperrett said:
Love your letter, but would love to see the response (if any) from that chap... With any luck he'll kick some ass and sort your problems out for you as a matter of haste.

Whilst the dealerships are all franchisees, perhaps its worth just touching base with VW just to log your un-happiness. Ultimately, VW are responsible for ensuring that their dealers in the field uphold the reputation and resolve issues quickly and efficiently... you never know, might either get something free and/or put pressure on the idiots at your local branch to sort there freaking lives out.

Cheers, Tim
Good idea. I'll forward a copy to VW Customer Services as well.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TonyIroc said:
Sorry to hear about your experiences. Sound like your going the right way to sort it out and hopefully it is resolved soon.

I know this provides valuable feedback to VW owners and potential owners but I've had to modify your posts due to our naming and shaming policy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=323.
No worries. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Stick it to em Ed.
Currently have some issues myself since January.I found if you send the VW dealer and VW Group UK a solicitors letter it tends to get the required reaction.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got a call from the dealer today regarding my letter. Apparently they have changed to a new computer system which is taking some getting used to and causing problems keeping track of workflow etc. Guy sincerely apologised and told me that they would keep putting pressure on VW head office for me. Promised that someone will call me every few days to keep me updated even if there is no news and they are going to make sure that the car is fully polished up and valetted before it comes back.

Can't fault the guy. He came back to me the day after I posted my letter and was sincerely disappointed about my experience.

Still waiting on the leasing company to come back to me about resetting the delivery date. They called and asked for me to send them a timeline of what's been happening and promised to come back to me by the end of the week. Not sure if I will have a fight on my hands here however and maybe someone can give me some advice here... According to the consumer credit act, a borrower must received a signed copy of the executed agreement within 7 days of signing it. If not, the agreement may be unenforceable. I still haven't received a signed copy of this so I may be able to use this as ammunition if they get shirty about changing the date.

I don't want to go down that route to be honest. I just want my shiny new car back so I can fit my new speakers and gear knob. AND I WANT IT NOW! ;)

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Service Manager at the dealer has been in touch with me every couple of days now. Still no word from VW Milton Keynes as to when they are expecting the part from Germany. The Leasing Company has now gotten involed and are also in touch with the dealer and VW fleet.

They are looking into the issue of the hire date and have suggest either moving the hire date to whenever I get the car back (For those unfamiliar with leasing a car, the "hire date" is the date that the lease of the vehicle starts so your monthly payments start from then on in) or waiving the first monthly payment. I'm waiting on them coming back to me.

Re: my comments regarding the car being filthy, the leasing company have told me the the VW dealer are going to pay for a full professional valet which in my mind is above and beyond the call of duty so can't complain about that.

The estimate that I was given about the part is that it usually takes between 7 and 10 working days. If you factor in when the part was actually ordered and weekends the 10 days isn't up yet.

On a side, I'm on very friendly terms with the MD of my old employer and he has delayed the pick-up of my TT. So that works out well. Funny how that at the time I wasn't looking forward to getting the Scirocco and wanted to hold onto my TT and now I can't wait to get rid of the damn thing and get my Roc back.

I enquired about a price for spraying the front grill to match the gloss black of the bit between the headlights. At first the response was that "they don't recommend it" and then they came back with a price today... £350.00 plus VAT :shock: :shock: :shock: so I won't be bothering with that then!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.