Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am experiencing a very annoying dash (behind the clocks) rattle that seems to be heating-distribution related (doesn't seem to do it when no heat on - so not much respite over the last few weeks!), but which the dealer has so far not been able to locate in spite of two complete dash stripdowns -Joy!, but has now ordered some heater distribution bits (yet to arrive) Anyone else had similar probs? Otherwise a brilliant drive and attracts a lot of attention from passers by and other drivers (getting used to getting [the car, not me] pointed at now!)

Top tip - To avoid alloy wheel damage from all the fresh winter potholes(and slightly improve mpg), run tyres at / near full load pressure (works well in fresh snow also but not brill on ice!).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Have a dash rattle which comes and goes but don't want the dealer messing about with the dash at the moment will wait till first service but it sounds similar to your problem and Ive heard others say that their dash rattles too!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reponses guys.

Its reassuring to know I'm not the only one with the problem - Will update if any clues arise as to a possible source or any variations with the arrival of warmer weather, or if a dealer fix occurs. Its annoying but doesn't really detract from the pleasure of the 'Roc and there's always the "turn the audio up" solution if all else fails! - Roc On!

AlanJ

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a rattle in the dash behind the clock area, very anoying!! The problem was to do with the rocker cover and the plastic trim below the windscreen. Not a big deal to sort, I think the garage put some rubber or foam tape on to stop the plastics rattling. {Perfect now, no rattles! As far as I know the Volkswagen garages have now been told to check vehicles when thet get them as it has been a fault. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Folks,

MMmmm! Interesting, cos I have also had a bloody annoying rattle from behind my clocks, not too long after I got the car, but have decided to get it looked at when in for the first service....Hopefully it'll go away or get fully worse then it'll be easier to locate...

Any other problems folk's ??

Current Mileage 3000 approx ( at 4-months old) the car not me, he he ..,...

All the best,

Steve Fae Scotland

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I've not got one on the Scirocco, but had one on my last car (Golf GT TDI 4 Motion). Also drove a friends R32, who had a rattle in exactly same spot, to right of stereo. Stopped rattling if pressed in this area

Must be a VW thing, but agree very annoying.

Loving the Scirocco though, nice & quick & well kitted out.

Lee

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it seems Fiona fix is the one - Whilst still awaiting parts from the dealer I had DIY go at the areas refrred to by Fiona and....success!

I think the main problem area to go for is the plastic cam cover, as when tapped, there is a good old rattle and seems to be caused by it touching a bright metal small diameter heater pipe which runs acrosss the front of the engine block and the rattle seems to be generated mostly on the right hand side (when viewed from the front), and which I think is carrying the noise inside the car via the heater system. It is trial and error to get the right spot to insulate it but mine only needed a small self-adhesive rubber pad to pack the cam cover up off it slightly and if it continues to work OK I will ask the dealer to pack it up properly with foam next time it goes in for any work. The cam cover can be easily lifted off to get to the offending area as its only a push fit comprising four legs into four plastic sockets.

The other rattle-prone area seems to be the plastic under-bonnet trim below the screen and above the nearside supension turret. A bit of judiciously located rubber or foam between the plastic and the body also seems to sort this one, but I think the main culprit is the cam cover: Surprising VW didn't pick both up during testing, but then these things do happen with new models.

The resulting peace and quiet now means getting max pleasure from the 'Roc! - Worth doing/getting done if you're like me and only want to hear the nicer 'Roc sounds!

Hope this helps!

AlanJ

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone noticed a rattle from the back of their car?..mine's making a similar noise to the dash rattle when I go over any sort of bump. I've taken everything out of the boot but it still seems to be making the noise. I've even tried it in different suspension modes...doesn't make a difference. I usually ignore it and turn the stereo up but it's now starting to bug me. I'm currently driving the most jinxed Roc on the road (...been in crash (not my fault)...garage repaired but caused electrical fault and had to have computer reset...petrol flap jammed shut...stone chip, turned to crack on windscreen and car's only 2 months old!). :cry:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Fee

Have you checked the tool kit sitting in the middle of the space saver? I found that all the tools sit neatly in their own sections except one of the towing eyes (not sure if it is the front or rear). It was just resting on top of the others rattling around. Cure was to wrap it in bubble wrap or similar. I checked a couple of Rocs at the dealers and they were the same, so a big OFI for VW then (opportunity for improvement)

·
Registered
372 Posts
fee said:
Yep..seems ok. Think I'll be having a trip to the dealer again next wk!
I'd double check the parcel shelf. Take it out, refit and it should click into place.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi folk's

Have been told to look at the Plastic WiperBlade panel below windscreen for the rattle, as it is not very well insulated/cushioned, as this has sometimes been an issue of late......seemingly....

Steve

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am also getting a rattle which sounds like it is comming from the windshield. COuld be the plastic wiper cover - has anyone sorted this one out?

·
Registered
88 Posts
ANDRES said:
I am also getting a rattle which sounds like it is comming from the windshield. COuld be the plastic wiper cover - has anyone sorted this one out?
I had this, or at least a rattle coming from that area, that seems to have fixed itself over time - maybe just worth leaving it a bit and see if it goes away?

Deacon

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a little off and on rattle behind the dashboard. I'll ask VW to look at it whenever I get the chance to go over there.
It's not constant so I'll try to figure out when (and where) it happens.

^x^
Kat

·
Registered
12 Posts
For those with a rattle. VW have a TSD as a known issue available for dealers to get. This will show them how to comprehensively fix a rattle from behind the dash issue. If they say it doesn't exist, tell them to check. My dealer solved my irritating rattles for me last week under warranty and even showed me the document which includes photographs.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
s8n said:
For those with a rattle. VW have a TSD as a known issue available for dealers to get. This will show them how to comprehensively fix a rattle from behind the dash issue. If they say it doesn't exist, tell them to check. My dealer solved my irritating rattles for me last week under warranty and even showed me the document which includes photographs.
Thanks s8n (is your name really louis cypher??) that's good intelligence and I am sure will be just what all those rattling rocco owners will be wanting to hear.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts