Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoke to the dealer today about the fact these lights are enabled on Mrs Blink's new toy. I did wonder whether it was just the auto lights doing their own thing as with both of my Passats (first 55 reg, now 58 reg), but no, even in the off position the lights are on. Dealer advised that all Scirrocos (and soon to be Golfs and Polos) are being supplied with daylight running lights switched on. I notice that there appears to be an option to switch off in the handbook (p 58) but this appears to be a once and for all option. No going back.

So what are the opinions on running lights? I know they are due to become compulsory and agree the benefit but not sure I would want them unless I have to. I get infuriated with Volvos with badly adjusted lights dazzling oncoming traffic in the daylight. The car is getting plenty of attention without having the "look at that idiot with his lights on" comments!

Anyone tried the enabling / disabling trick as per the handbook? Is it a once only option? Can a dealer reset? More to the point, does it work without buggering up any other functions?

·
Registered
283 Posts
depending on your dealer they can turn em of for nowt

·
Registered
22 Posts
I personally hate DRLs, although we'll have to get used to it soon as European legislation means that all new cars on the road after some point in 2011 will have to have them. VW have jumped the gun and started doing it already on some cars including the 'roc.

Whatever the manual says, you can't turn them off yourself, they have to be done on the VAG-COM gizmo by a dealer, and apparently it is a no-going-back thing, once it's done it's done. I took delivery of mine on Monday and had them turn them off as I can't stand it - they did so but said they had to get a special code from VW to do it.

Apparenly some dealers are refusing to do it, although I had no trouble with mine. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got a phone call from the supplier today saying my car has shown up early :D so I'm getting it next Thursday :D :D
I asked if they could disable the DRL's while they were doing the PDI and was told the same story - it can't be reversed. Unfortunately, as it is a company lease they also said that Arval wouldn't allow them to do it so I'm stuck with them :cry: Mind you, if my local dealer who will be servicing it (not the supplier for Arval) were to 'accidently' do it what could I do ??? :roll:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seen this thread and booked a service to get my daytime running lights switched off, the dealership said they would do this for free, been there today to have the lights switched off and they are saying it can't be done????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Morning all

Well i have just been in to get my lights switched off, waited an hour to be told can be done but have to get a code from VW that takes a few hours, also being told not covered under warranty so would have to pay for it to ber done.

They have said one hours labour £90+ vat.

Anyone else been told that ?

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
19 Posts
why are you conplaining about your running lights there a safety function, its now law in germany not to mention sweden to have lights on at all times, if all our cars, which soon will be a reality, that all cars had them you wouldn't be conplaining, see them as a blessing, the car looks better with them on anyway and whoever says it doesn't is only jelious because they don't have one. All cars are having them put on, audi, saab, porsche, austin martin and volvos of course if you had an accident because you had them turned off and paid for it done, you'd feel really stupid, so don't worry about them, DRL's don't cost you anything and they look great on the car....

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think its going to be law in UK after 2010 for all new cars to have DRL so might aswell get used to them!

·
Registered
261 Posts
RobRoc said:
I think its going to be law in UK after 2010 for all new cars to have DRL so might aswell get used to them!
After 2010 = 2011 = 1+3/4 years away.

Personally, in the mean time I don't like to be told that I MUST do something like drive with my headlights (or even side lights) on, on bright sunny days if I don't want to....
Until it' is made law.
Simple as that.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I gotta agree with AceOfSpades on this... I just don't see what the problem is, they are lights, only lights, nothing else and you can't even see they are on when driving unless up someones ar5e on the mway or stopped in traffic. I am quite sure there are far more important things to worry about in life than not being in control of the lights on your car :roll:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Le_Savage said:
I gotta agree with AceOfSpades on this... I just don't see what the problem is, they are lights, only lights, nothing else and you can't even see they are on when driving unless up someones ar5e on the mway or stopped in traffic. I am quite sure there are far more important things to worry about in life than not being in control of the lights on your car :roll:
I have spent a lot of time travelling in Sweden and Denmark and have many colleagues there. The general impression is that when the running lights were new they were different and people took notice. Now all cars have them and everyone takes them for granted so they tend to blend into the background. I am not suggesting the statistics don't show a benefit (I don't know but I guess they would) so it will be a good thing to have. However the impact is greater initially. Next question is what is the effect on fuel consumption / global warming? (Minimal I know but someone will ask when this becomes the law ;) ) Just FYI, Mrs Blink decided not to have them switched off

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I can't understand why people want DRL's switched off. I also can't understand not using the dusk sensor. If its there surely use it? What does irritate is getting into cars without one and nearly crashing before I realise the lights aren't on.......

Which I nearly did in a tiguan se, the only thing that saved me was the thought that it seemed a bit dark in the car

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
jblink said:
Le_Savage said:
I have spent a lot of time travelling in Sweden and Denmark and have many colleagues there. The general impression is that when the running lights were new they were different and people took notice. Now all cars have them and everyone takes them for granted so they tend to blend into the background. I am not suggesting the statistics don't show a benefit (I don't know but I guess they would) so it will be a good thing to have. However the impact is greater initially. Next question is what is the effect on fuel consumption / global warming? (Minimal I know but someone will ask when this becomes the law ;) ) Just FYI, Mrs Blink decided not to have them switched off
I have never seen any numbers on the power drain having the lights creates, but given that the alternator is constantly driven I would have thought that it generates mor ethan enough power to run the lights and most of the other ancilary electrics without causing further drain on the battery. Advice used to be not to run all electrics together (heated rear screen, heater, lights, 12v charger etc etc) but alternator technology having advanced you rarely see this advice being given anymore, nor do you see many motors with a flat battery... now I wonder why that is???

·
Registered
132 Posts
business manager said:
crashing before I realise the lights aren't on.......

Which I nearly did in a tiguan se, the only thing that saved me was the thought that it seemed a bit dark in the car
Why, was it not dark outside BM?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
business manager said:
I can't understand why people want DRL's switched off. I also can't understand not using the dusk sensor. If its there surely use it?
Mmmm .... but if you have DRLs on then dusk sensors are redundant as your lights will already be on, all the time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mmmm .... but if you have DRLs on then dusk sensors are redundant as your lights will already be on, all the time
I wondered about this too...as I see it they must be one and the same? BM verdict awaited.... :?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think that the dusk sensor has another function too in that it also automatically illuminates the dashboard lighting in dark conditions.
I can't confirm this though as I haven't got my roc yet but I'm sure I read that somewhere.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts