Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Anyone detailed their roc yet or is it still too early? I've noticed that it gets dirty pretty quick, so was thinking of polishing and waxing it this weekend. Ive got the candy white which magnifies the dirt, any tips?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine was detailed after 2 days or so, can't remember exactly. Only tips really are to give it a good clean, get a good quality wax on the body and wheels and will make cleaning it a lot easier.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I did mine with pure guard and then meguiars tech wax. Used chemical guys wheel guard too. Looks nice and shiny but white does show the dirt so i'm gonna put a good few more layers of wax on in the next few weeks.

Only tips i've got are dont forget the door sils, underneath of the rubbing strips, the gap at the bootom of the rear window, the corners of the rear plate recess, the groove in the rear bumper and the front of the door handles. These are the bits that collect the dirt.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
by G_16v on Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:49 am

It means washing, polishing, waxing, taking any imperfections out (i.e. claying and polishing) etc.
I have often heard the term 'claying' and while I originally thought is sounded like some strange niche sexual fetish I know see it is a car cleaning/polishing/detailing technique. Therefore I am now interested to hear from any members with experience of this technique, i'm keen to see how it's done and the benefits of doing this before I take a lump of clay ( :eek: ) anywhere near my rocco.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You do not need to clay your car as it is way too new. Claying is a long process (normally most of a day) that removes imperfections from the paint.

There are several clay kits around that include everything you need, but I won't be doing for a good while after getting my car.

You are better off getting several layers of wax on and then finishing with a good sealant.

·
Registered
277 Posts
greeper said:
You do not need to clay your car as it is way too new. Claying is a long process (normally most of a day) that removes imperfections from the paint.

There are several clay kits around that include everything you need, but I won't be doing for a good while after getting my car.

You are better off getting several layers of wax on and then finishing with a good sealant.
Sealant??? isnt that what the wax is for? What sealant / where can i get it from?

·
Registered
173 Posts
greeper said:

Claying takes about an hour tops I find and I am very thorough. Just because the car is new it does not mean that it does not need claying. A lot of cars are transported on railways at points and kept next to rail way lines or at docks where metal filings stick to them. Claying removes these and any other bits that are picked up. It doesn't harm the paint if done correctly.

There are plenty of claying kits available. Even the Meguairs kit from Halfords is ok. When you get it play with the clay in your hands so it goes soft. I also find its best to break into two pieces, lasts longer and you have a spare piece incase you drop it. Make sure you use lots of the lube supplied and don't let the clay feel like its dragging. I know it sounds a bit scary at first as rubbing something hard over your paint does not sound natural. It really is easy to do though.

Sealant is just another protective layer. You don't need to use it with a wax but a lot of people do. It just gives it that extra bit of protection. It can be used on its own instead of a wax also. The best one I have found is Jetseal 109 available from www.cleanyourcar.co.uk You could use it instead of a wax if you don't want to buy both and it gives fantastic results and last for a long time.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Thanks Guys, useful input.
One question though, if the car has had lifeshine sealant applied will this need to be re-applied after claying?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Adamb said:
Let's not get into that on a forum, it always gets stupid. I'm vegan.

Any good alternatives?
Meguiars do a microfibre one called a Water Magnet. I have two of them. They beat a chamois anytime hands down. By the way don't bother polishing a white car. It's a waste of time. My current car is white and you don't get a depth of shine like you do on dark colours. Just use a good wax like Meguiars tech Wax 2.0 (yes I do like Meguiars stuff!) and it'll seal the paint and give you a nice wet look finish.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
davedavison said:
clay is ok but i found it a bit tricky and tbh quite pointless but i was prob doing it wrong...i am from stoke :oops: :lol:
A good sealent is the auto glym extra gloss protection, i give mine a couple of coats of autoglym hd wax then one coat of this sealant...brilliant..lasts for ages..when the car is a little older i'll polish first,but it dont need it yet...
good luck man
detailing market is a mine field
And i noticed someone said you'll spend hundreds on the stuff...they are so right

Have fun...roc on....
Claying is a doddle and the amount of crap it pulls of your car is amazing. No point doing it if your car is split new though. If done properly it's very worthwhile, especially for removing dots of tar, brake dust etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts