Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My dealer was trying to convince me that the DSG (6spd) improves fuel consumption. Auto transmissions are generally inefficient so I didn't believe him but reading a few articles here and there, that supported his view, made me think: DSG does seem to have the potential to be highly efficient - quick shifts, no pointless reving, engine brake.

However, there are articles that claim the opposite. AND...VW brochures show an increase in consumption (for 6spd DSG). Wouldn't VW want to show how efficient their DSG is if it was really that efficient? Or may be it just isn't? May be the operation of the unit itself requires more fuel than it is able to safe?

I will check it out for myself in August when I get my DSG Roc but I'm curious what you think about the topic. Thanks!

·
Registered
618 Posts
The DSG box isnt an automatic gearbox.

Its a dual cluth gearbox controlled by electronics.

All it does it shift the same parts you would usually be controlling manually. It is a bit heavier though, and the gear ratios may be slightly different accounting for any change in fuel consumption.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Hmmm, not sure on this one, maybe one of our more technically minded members might have a definitive answer. The DSG is quicker 0-62 but slower top end (by 1mph) so that would lead me to believe that the gear change is more efficient, but does that overcome the extra weightload added to the car??

Around town or on a drive involving a lot of gear changing you might see a slight benefit, but on long journeys when you are siting in 6th I would have thought the extra weight would have been detrimental. Overall I would have thought there wasnt much difference, but then again I have no idea what I am talking about!! ;) :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Should have added that the twin clutch setup means its always got the next gear engaged and therefore got one clutch held open, so i guess the frictional losses on the DSG box may be slightly higher than the typical manaul box which may account for an increase in MPG

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sciroccorocket said:
i would say its more to do with how you drive the thing, i range from 18 to 45mpg in my 2.0tsi, just had a look on the vw website comsumption is the same for the 2.0tsi, the diesels are better with the manual,

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/sciro ... nsumption/
Yeah, sorry. I should have double-checked. Still, I believe I have seen more pessimistic figures for the petrols but it could be my mistake.

Anyway! Why is the difference b/w petrol and diesel? Is it the diesel's sluggishness that makes the DSG not as efficient?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.