Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys im new so please be gentle.

dsg gearbox is it worth the extra money or not?? i am not a lover of automatics so is it a waste of time me having it??

also im not 100% how it works to be honest??

perhaps i should get a test drive in one see what i think, but in the meantime

im looking for the advantages and disadvantages of it please :)

thanks.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
firstly, welcome scott, good to have you along. I would strongly recommend you have a test drive in a DSG car, even if it isnt your preferred engine choice. TBH the manual gearbox in the roc (which I have) is the smoothest and best gearbox I have owned in 21 cars!! I discounted the DSG because I wasnt fussed on the auto/flappy paddle idea. However, since purchasing my roc I have had the chance to drive a DSG, and its addictive, for some reason it reminds me of Gran Turismo on PS3 :lol: :lol: I truly love it, and it is noticeably quicker than the manual. If I had the choice would defo order the DSG, truly worth it IMHO ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I drive alot of autos at work, and always hankered after an auto for myself. DSG gives you the best of both worlds. Alot of the time I leave it in D and bumble around town. But when I get the horn, whack it over to manual, stiffen the suspension, and see how quickly I can get through a tank of fuel.......

If you are unsure, you must take a decent test drive. I'm more than happy with it............

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just to add to this, did any of you buy your cars with dsg and regret it?? wished u stuck with manual.

i dont like automatics but prefer manual, however this paddle system seem like great fun and the way forward, as of yet im still unable to testdrive a dsg car :(

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
hi scott welcome to scirocconet, i bought a stock car so didnt have a choice, the test car i drove did have DSG and while being a novelty and quite fun to play with i would not have speced it myself, i would save yourself 1300 quid and use it for a lowering kit and remap, :D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hi Scott and welcome to the rout.. :)

I drove both before choosing and having never owned an auto before I was surprised to find myself adding it to the wish list... as stated above it really is a lot of fun, it really makes for a quicker car, it really is the best of both worlds, and whatsmore it really is so very much better than an automatic as you may imagine them to be. It changed my mind and to be honest I am a stubborn git at the best of times so it takes an awful lot to persuade me away from what I know. Don't get me wrongm as the manual is a lovely box and there is nothing wrong with it.... but in my opinion the DSG knocks the spots of it all day long.

Enjoy the decision making, I did :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
Scott,
Do it mate. I have a DSG and absolutley love it.
I drove it in anger for the first time last week from Loughborough to near Dolgellau in Wales.

The last twenty five miles were the best drive of my life. The twisty turny roads are just made for the flappy paddle use, it was amazing.

The only thing is I overtook 2 lorries and hung to the right for a left hand bend (which I could see all the way round) and when I looked down at the speedo I was a little horrified!!! How I got that fast so quickly really took me by surprise!!!

Do it!!

Oh, not only that, I drove from Loughborough to London and back on Friday and I have a 2.0 litre TSI and got 40mpg average. Okay, I did stick to the speed limit but it did save me about 2 gallons on the norm.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have 2.0 TSI with DSG and agree with others that have said it is very good, and a bit like a driving game. Having said that I drove a manual version the other day and the gearbox has a sweet change that really suits the engine. Do I regret buying DSG? No.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Just to answer the question on how it work (apologies if some one has already) It's a dual clutch system, which mean the first engages whilst the other spins the other gear, thus making the changes faster than a blink of an eye (quoted and literally) I think the secondary rev the gear at roughly around the highest RPM the car can put out... when I test drove it I found, like on all manuals when i changed gear at 6000RPM it dropped to about 3000/4000RPM depending what gear, however on the DSG you don't really see it dropping that far down the RPM range e.g. DSG also help to maintain RPM whilst changing gear.

IMHO, as an engineer its probably one of the best devices I've seen, with over something like 150 moving parts (Guys don't quote me lol) its flawless, it the only AUTO paddle swift box I've driven that works. much better than my SLK 350!

G

·
And to add to Flux's post, the duel clutch lines up the next gear before you need it. One clutch selects the odd gears (1,3,5) and the other the even gears (2,4,6)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Not been a big expert on this topic... but I would also have thought that the DSG's speed of change will help to keep the boost up on the turbo hnece improving overall performance through the gear box.

One other thing I experienced in a turboed R32 with DSG was that you loose much of the sense of torque as the box changes so quickly and you do not feel the torque surge as each gear is taken up which actually made the car feel slower until you look at the speedo that is...!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
disadv:
- the ride feels slower (although it isnt)
- it cannot be remapped to the same extent (torque on DSG is a limiting factor)
- it wont hold the value as well as the manual
- feels like driving a Nintendo ;)

Seriously: tried it, didnt like it (didnt hate it either), cancelled this option (I had it ordered at first).

I would order it if I went for a Passat for example, since it suits a limo, but not a sports car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.