Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner

DSG/ ADVANTAGES DISADVANTAGES

9K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Flux 
Hi Scott and welcome to the rout.. :)

I drove both before choosing and having never owned an auto before I was surprised to find myself adding it to the wish list... as stated above it really is a lot of fun, it really makes for a quicker car, it really is the best of both worlds, and whatsmore it really is so very much better than an automatic as you may imagine them to be. It changed my mind and to be honest I am a stubborn git at the best of times so it takes an awful lot to persuade me away from what I know. Don't get me wrongm as the manual is a lovely box and there is nothing wrong with it.... but in my opinion the DSG knocks the spots of it all day long.

Enjoy the decision making, I did :p

Not been a big expert on this topic... but I would also have thought that the DSG's speed of change will help to keep the boost up on the turbo hnece improving overall performance through the gear box.

One other thing I experienced in a turboed R32 with DSG was that you loose much of the sense of torque as the box changes so quickly and you do not feel the torque surge as each gear is taken up which actually made the car feel slower until you look at the speedo that is...!!!!

ANDRES said:
disadv:
- - it cannot be remapped to the same extent (torque on DSG is a limiting factor)
Not agreeing here either, I have been in R32 with the same standard box as the rocco running over 500bhp and 500lb/ft of torque without any problems from the box.

imitebeurda said:
I honestly believe that the DSG is an option that I would have "played" with for the first few months, and then just left it in auto. When I had my 5-series (E60) it was an auto, but you could put it in sport and use the sequential box. I loved it when I first had it (and then had it remapped by DMS) went for a blast, but then used it less and less and ended up just leaving it in auto. :D
It's a good point Da... and tbh I spend most of my week in Auto and the weekends in Tip/Paddle/Sport. But what you are buying with the DSG is the ability to make a choice... you don't get this with the manual... Personally I own cars with both and love both for different reasons, but then again I own them for different reasons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.