Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, a newbie here and just picked up my pearl white 2.0 gt tsi dsg Roc, very pleased. My question is can you change from D (drive) to S (sport) with the dsg gearbox whilst on the move? my hand book does not say you can but does not say you should'nt, it does say that the car should be stationary to change into R or P which you would expect but i don't just want to chance it and end up doing some damage.
Cheers Phil

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes I do it all the time.

·
Registered
484 Posts
dont worry at all drive and on and do it

·
Registered
76 Posts
Slightly off thread, but has anyone tried the launch control yet?

ESP OFF
GEAR SELECTOR INTO 'S'
LEFT FOOT ON BRAKE
RIGHT FOOT HARD ON THROTTLE ( AUTOMATICALLY SETS REV TO ABOUT 3000RPM)
RELEASE BRAKE AND HOLD ON TIGHT.......................................

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sure have Bungle!!

I would wait until you have done a few hundered miles first as its pretty hard on the beast. Tried it with ESP off which smoked the tyres and also with it on which put my face in the back seat.

Make sure there's feck all in front of you first and then do as it says - HOLD ON!!!! :lol:

Roc On!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
LCM said:
Sure have Bungle!!

I would wait until you have done a few hundered miles first as its pretty hard on the beast. Tried it with ESP off which smoked the tyres and also with it on which put my face in the back seat.

Make sure there's feck all in front of you first and then do as it says - HOLD ON!!!! :lol:

Roc On!!
I'll wait until I've done a few hundred miles more then. I thought that having ESP set to OFF was one of the settings needed for launch control to work..... :?:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Guys, Try DSG Launch on youtube, there are a few decent vids. also a manual golf against a dsg by some japanese guys, pretty entertaining! phil

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'll wait until I've done a few hundred miles more then. I thought that having ESP set to OFF was one of the settings needed for launch control to work..... :?:[/quote]

I think you are technically right Bungle however foot on the brake in sport with ESP on and the EMS will only allow 3500k revs and as I said the results spoke for themselves. Private road on the autobahn obviously tee he!! :mrgreen:

Roc On!!

·
Registered
8 Posts

I've now done 60k miles in my DSG Mk5 GTI (much modified).

At first I drove around in D and just popped her into S for overtakes or for fun in the twisties. Then I did a Drivetrain course (on public roads) and only ever use D for traffic crawls, villages, town etc and drive and think Manually all the time.

As 1st gear is a bit short and fierce on mine (Revo Stage2) and in spite of having extended flappy paddles, it's often useful at very busy roundabouts/junctions to pop into S on approach and power out and then back into Manual. But that involves going through D and it's best not to pass through D too quickly because it can confuse the DSG into not selecting the optimum gear.

But overall, the DSG box of tricks has many built-in self-protection features and I wouldn't have another car without it or its equivalent. It is a learning curve and takes time to master fluidly/naturally because there are so many options/choice of combinations.

Enjoy!!

[I never have ESP Off on public roads - It ain't worth that macho bravado!]

·
Registered
484 Posts
i know what im doin the next time im in a gti

·
Registered
149 Posts
Anyone know if the 1.4 TSI 160 DSG has launch control - I gave it a try and no luck the other day but I might not have tried hard enough ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
No launch control on the 1.4 petrol/DSG7 combo I'm afraid.

·
Registered
149 Posts
micke_011 said:
No launch control on the 1.4 petrol/DSG7 combo I'm afraid.
Thanks for letting me know - saves me revving the b's out of it and getting nowhere!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I wouldn`t try the launch thingy too many times. I`ve heard it can do it about 6 times before it breaksdown. Then your up the shit creak as VW plugs their thingy in and can tell what you`ve done and is not covered in the warrenty.

Hope I`m wrong but I`ve heard on other forums (from Golf owners) that this is the case.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
a4gee said:
I wouldn`t try the launch thingy too many times. I`ve heard it can do it about 6 times before it breaksdown. Then your up the shit creak as VW plugs their thingy in and can tell what you`ve done and is not covered in the warrenty.

Hope I`m wrong but I`ve heard on other forums (from Golf owners) that this is the case.
Your most probably wrong mate... The DSG will go to much more extremes than a Launch Control feature a few time...

As for the warranty I must me covered because it's a feature of the DSG it's self and also gives you a guide on how to activate it in the hand book. My makes a nice beep too.

But then again it may be different with the golfs... But I doubt it...

·
Registered
50 Posts
a4gee said:

Yeah I'd be careful on over cooking it especially when the car is so young! Audi and other manufacturers have a get out clause on their warranties when using launch control so I'd check out what VW say as a4gee suggests.

My old man has a BMW Z4 3.5 with the 7 speed twin clutch - the warranty is void if launch control is used in the first 6000K, or if used 6miles after using lc. The engine management will tell on you! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

PS this is documented in the instruction manual not a myth!

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Listen VW don't put a launch control feature in so they can rob you of you warranty... If you clutch goes because of you using launch control they'll fix it without any question! It's a feature stated in your hand book and a sales point of the car... Relax you car will be fine but your tyres wont...

I know what your saying about using it early days but car ain't like they used to be drive it like you stole it from day one and it'll be as good as it would of been if you never.... Trust me, I know

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Flux 'm sure the car can take the punishment, I don't disagree :) ...all I'm saying is check what the hand books states in case there are any clauses which may void the warranty. I

1 - 20 of 21 Posts