Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
30060744 said:
having the roc chipped would this add extra stress and not tn a good way to the engine
Yes, having the car remapped will add an element of stress to the engine, this is why it is important to have it done by a reputable professional, such as Superchips, DMS etc. You do not want some bloke with a laptop messing around with the ecu on your new car. Oh and for heavens sake dont buy a "tuning box" of ebay or such like. My bro-in-law did with his beemer, and a short time later a new turbo was required!! :(

If you are using someone like Superchips you have no concerns, they do extensive testing on the car before releasing the upgrades and as such ensure the remaps are well within acceptable tolerance levels. For example, on the 2.0tsi engine they reckon the remap will give you 50-60bhp extra. Thereby taking the 197bhp to circa 250bhp.

Dont forget this engine is the same one in the Seat Leon Cupra R (240ish bhp) and the Audi S3 (265ish bhp) so the engine is not being pushed beyond what it can handle. Also you will find the power delivery curve is smooth and very similar (and in many cases smoother than original!) to the factory settings, only higher :D :D . With "dodgy" remap's and tuning boxes you tend to get "power spikes" in other words a sudden boost in the turbo and engine performance, this is what knackers your engine/turbo.

Finally the reputable/top end remappers such as Superchips/DMS offer warranties, Superchips for example offer a 12 month guarantee on all remap's (which can be extended for an additional charge) that if something goes wrong with your car and VW will not cover the work under warranty because they blame the remap the Superchips will cover it.

In short I have had my last 3 car's remapped by both Superchips and DMS and have nothing but praise, I would have no concerns about additional engine stress, and dont forget for turbo diesels Superchips give a guarantee your mpg will improve as well!!

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
imitebeurda said:
30060744 said:
having the roc chipped would this add extra stress and not tn a good way to the engine
Yes, having the car remapped will add an element of stress to the engine, this is why it is important to have it done by a reputable professional, such as Superchips, DMS etc. You do not want some bloke with a laptop messing around with the ecu on your new car. Oh and for heavens sake dont buy a "tuning box" of ebay or such like. My bro-in-law did with his beemer, and a short time later a new turbo was required!! :(

If you are using someone like Superchips you have no concerns, they do extensive testing on the car before releasing the upgrades and as such ensure the remaps are well within acceptable tolerance levels. For example, on the 2.0tsi engine they reckon the remap will give you 50-60bhp extra. Thereby taking the 197bhp to circa 250bhp.

Dont forget this engine is the same one in the Seat Leon Cupra R (240ish bhp) and the Audi S3 (265ish bhp) so the engine is not being pushed beyond what it can handle. Also you will find the power delivery curve is smooth and very similar (and in many cases smoother than original!) to the factory settings, only higher :D :D . With "dodgy" remap's and tuning boxes you tend to get "power spikes" in other words a sudden boost in the turbo and engine performance, this is what knackers your engine/turbo.

Finally the reputable/top end remappers such as Superchips/DMS offer warranties, Superchips for example offer a 12 month guarantee on all remap's (which can be extended for an additional charge) that if something goes wrong with your car and VW will not cover the work under warranty because they blame the remap the Superchips will cover it.

In short I have had my last 3 car's remapped by both Superchips and DMS and have nothing but praise, I would have no concerns about additional engine stress, and dont forget for turbo diesels Superchips give a guarantee your mpg will improve as well!!
wow :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.