Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...nearly two months of joyful ownership of the Roc, and now a brill prospect has arrived...the first trip abroad!! The car really has been all and more than I expected, and I now have the great luxury of a nine day visit to eastern france [alsace]. This will mean about a 1600 mile round trip and some great mountain roads to try out...so I will report back later. It will also be interesting to see how it really performs on long distance high speed stuff [no traffic on the autoroutes compared to here..speed limit 82mph..and a bit more if you are french :shock: ]..also I will be close to germany but not sure I have the any excuse to go there..yet....we will see :p . I also plan to set the first world record for volume of wine carried in a ROC III on the return leg!!

Bon Journee ZW

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Enjoy the trip! If would be good to see the different reactions you get around Europe.

I was thinking the other day, the Scirocco wouldn't look out of place in Monaco. It's a bit like a mini, or a Golf in that they are not out of place in the high street or at a large country estate.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This has set me thinking and now have a dilemma. Having had the snake for 4 weeks now and loving it more each day i can't decide which of the 2 fab cars i am lucky enough to have to take on a 16 day tour of France and Italy. The s4 cab is great to have in good weather and is a good long distance mile eater but would the roc be more fun?? It will certainly use less juice but will i miss the convertible if weather is good?? Oh what to do? :? Waggers in viper

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
waggers said:
This has set me thinking and now have a dilemma. Having had the snake for 4 weeks now and loving it more each day i can't decide which of the 2 fab cars i am lucky enough to have to take on a 16 day tour of France and Italy. The s4 cab is great to have in good weather and is a good long distance mile eater but would the roc be more fun?? It will certainly use less juice but will i miss the convertible if weather is good?? Oh what to do? :? Waggers in viper
take the viper turn a few heads on the way :cool:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments chaps...Just back and a few good stories to post...and a pic i hope..All went great and Roc performed superbly without any sort of hitch. Only scary aspect was 98ron at 1.32euro on the autoroutes!?!? seriously expensive that...
I would say generally the french are a bit more casual about cars than us...and yet the trip just proved to be one set of people looking at it after another! This was topped one day when I parked up in a public car park just outside the town walls of a place called Obernai. After a couple of hours strolling about we went for a bite on a cafe terrace...next to us were some middle aged folks that proved to be german...wasn't even paying them any attention...'til I heard something like "Ja...im dem parkplatz...der inglisher VW SCHEEEroco!" followed by lots more excited discussion I couldn't fathom...Anyway...more stuff to follow. Nice to see forum thriving and lots of new names...ZW
p.s. you can get 108 bottles plus in the boot!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I promise not to drink it all at once! ;) Didn't get any special pics really, but here is one in a different setting to usual...on the whole journey I just saw one other Roc..a french candy white doing a ton on the autoroute...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This was the one...he /she joined way ahead of me..i think they saw me but I had to really boot it to [nearly :( ] catch up. They then hit one of those crazy interchanges where to join another motorway the fast lane becomes the slip road! Anyway...any browsers living in Metz? [thats where it was]...either way this Roc definately gets my top marks for not hanging around!! :p

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sciroccobs1 said:
I was wondering whether you used a set of headlight converters or did you manage to find a more elegant solution to deal with the RHD dipped headlights
Hi sbs1...
I noticed there is more on this subject now elsewhere on the forum.....
I used a new stick-on type jobby which was easy to align properly, however its funny how you don't notice something that's not there, as I reckon they come off pretty early in the trip [ i will find the name so you can avoid em, got em off e-bay] ...I wonder whether due to lights being on all the time...or very bad rain and spray on way down to dover overnight, or the tricky curve of the lenses on the Roc?
In the past I have been flashed by lorries on opposite carriageway if i haven't had them on so I reckon they are important. French police are pretty gentle with GB plates due to our good driving image over there [seriously!] but I reckon they would fine you if they noticed. I think the manual adjust is generally only provided for xenons as they cannot use "beam benders", so for standard lights VW need to sort a solution.............I think though the most common silvered style stick on ones would probably work...if you can align them ok that is...

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
zum wohl said:
This was the one...he /she joined way ahead of me..i think they saw me but I had to really boot it to [nearly :( ] catch up. They then hit one of those crazy interchanges where to join another motorway the fast lane becomes the slip road! Anyway...any browsers living in Metz? [thats where it was]...either way this Roc definately gets my top marks for not hanging around!! :p
it wasnt a diesel then :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sciroccorocket said:
it wasnt a diesel then :lol: :lol:
on the full res. photo I can see that the engine designation was debadged...I will leave your conclusion standing sir rocket !! :|

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.