Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty simple stuff this but some people haven't been sure how to approach it.

MATERIALS REQUIRED
1x Flat edged plastic trim tool or similar (credit card etc)
1x T-Cut or similar scratch remover
OPTIONAL
1x Hair dryer

METHOD

Make sure that you don't use a metal object for this or you will scratch your paintwork. First of all ensure that the surface of your boot is warm. If it's a sunny day and the boot is already quite hot then job done. If not you can use a hair dryer to gently heat the area on and around the badge that you want to remove. It doesn't need to be roasting so be careful not to get carried away. The glue comes away quite easily so it only needs to be gently warmed up.

The lettering on the back is stuck to the car using sticky foam and there is a slight gap between the chrome plastic letters and the surface of the boot. Take your trim tool and gentle push it down behind the letter you are removing (do one at a time) applying gentle pressure. The letter should come off with ease. Once you've done all of them, you may have a sticky residue left over. Get rid of the worst of it using a finger nail and then put a wee bit of T-Cut on a cloth and rub over the affected area. Just light pressure will do. Then wipe it down with a clean cloth. Done. Simples.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I was always taught to do this with a bit of string rather than a credit card! Make sure the glue is warm... hold the string in 2 hands (like you're away to strangle someone!!), and put the middle of it under the top of the badge. Gently pull down, cutting through the glue pads and pulling the badges off. Then get some tar and glue remover, and clean off any sticky bits left behind. A quick rub with with some polish, and its job complete!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice guide ED. A few comments you may want to ad (not trying to be critical just thought these would help).

In my opinion you should do the following in addition

1. Wash the bootlid and badge area first as this will pevent any dirt being dragged over the paintwork as you remove the badges (which may scratch your car).

2. I'd use some kind of softer or thinner plastic than a credit card (such as a loyalty card)

3. Work round the badges, dont lever them off as heating the paintwork will soften the laquer slightly.

4. You shouldn't need t-cut unless you scratch the paint. T-cut is abbraisive so to remove sticky residue use something like 'stick stuff remover', wd40, or as p3eps says, tar and bug remover. Wash again and wax.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Top Tip :thumbup:

On previous cars I've used heavy duty nylon (not the steel reinforced stuff) fishing line.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just did mine, used a AA card to get the badges off, would imagine a standard hairdryer wouldnt soften the laquer or everytime it was a nice hot summers days surely it would do it loads of damage.

Agree with washing though, then used the super resin polish in my autoglym kit, changes the back end completly.

Just need to get those VW badges off for painting now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.