Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, 90 minutes and its done.... ;) Pretty straight forward, only issue was step 3. depressed the spring clip with pliers no problem, but when off the MAF it expanded too much, had to get a mate to bring round a set of huuuge pliers to get it back on. Also step 2 in reverse. when finally putting the carbon fibre inlet back on we dropped one of the screws we had retained into the engine bay. Spent 10 minutes looking for it with a torch but coldnt find it :( Luckily we had a similar screw available!!

1. unclip the lid that leads to the forward scoop of the OEM airbox. easy just a few clips

2. using a socket set remove the 2 screws that hold the forward airbox in place. Save these screws as they are used later, then remove the inlet scoop. All straight forward so far! yep no problems!



3. Disconnect the leads to the MAF sensor, next using pliers, compress the spring clip that connects the Mass Airflow (MAF) sensor to the OEM inlet hose and slide it back a few inches. a few seconds does this, its getting the spring clip back on is a blooming nightmare!!



4. Remove the single screw that fixes the airbox to the battery tray

5. Lift the entire airbox out of the car. (the drain hose that comes out with it is no longer required) and out it comes!




6. Using a Phillips screwdriver remove the MAF from the old airbox (be carful not to damage it!)

7. Slide the silicon adapter over the MAF, then reinstall the MAF to the OEM inlet tube, reposition the spring clamp and reconnect the wire. Then slide the 2 hose clamps over the silicone adapter and leave them loose. Sliding the silicon adapter over the MAF is a bollocks, there is a wee lip on the MAF and it took 5-10 minutes of wrestling with it to get it on, once that was done easy peasy!



8. Attach the air filter to the inlet trumpet and tighten the band clamp. couple of minutes did this!



9. Connect the inlet trumpet to the carbon fibre airbox.

10. Connect the carbon fibre airbox to the original inlet position using the screws retained.done!!!



11. Tighten all hose clamps, then start your engine, leaving it to idle for 10 minutes to allow the ecu to re-calibrate the increased airflow (DO NOT ACCELERATE!) Finally check all connections, and then take it for a mad drive through the nearest tunnel!!



Once we had left it idling for 10 minutes we took it for a blast. Must say there is huge amount of extra power, a big difference is the throttle response. The car picks up so much quicker. Great!! Not much, if any extra noise which is good. All round a simple install, looks good and works!! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Thanks for this guide, it will be very useful when I install mine.

I just ordered mine from the US, I have relatives coming over in a months time who will bring it with them.

Total cost = £162.61

Well chuffed, can't wait to get it!

Just one question, how do you know that 10mins idle is up, did you time it? Is there an indication from the MFD display etc?

PS when you clean your car, do you not clean the engine bay?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
ah its a very easy job step 3 is easy if ya had the tool for the clips
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rehmondo said:
Thanks for this guide, it will be very useful when I install mine.

I just ordered mine from the US, I have relatives coming over in a months time who will bring it with them.

Total cost = £162.61

Well chuffed, can't wait to get it!

Just one question, how do you know that 10mins idle is up, did you time it? Is there an indication from the MFD display etc?
Nope, just went and had a cup of tea!! :thumbup:

rehmondo said:
PS when you clean your car, do you not clean the engine bay?
:oops: you cheeky monkey!! :lol: Nope never got round to it, 4 kids, so lucky if I get 2 hours to clean the bits that show!! :roll: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Can you tell me what kind of filter inside the aCarbonio Intake System?
If I order and it in the future when the filter was dirty and need replacement
I'm wondering whether I can get it in Thailand.
:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maoipsc said:
Can you tell me what kind of filter inside the aCarbonio Intake System?
If I order and it in the future when the filter was dirty and need replacement
I'm wondering whether I can get it in Thailand.
:)
Its a cone filter, as far as I can remember, it is a lifetime filter, so you dont replace it, just clean it with oil, but as this is only required every 100,000 miles Im not too worry about it TBH!! :p :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
ok i tried fitting this today and i have never been so frustrated in all my life! it took me 45 minutes just to attach the air filter to the carbon bit, my air filter basically folded in on itself because i was trying so hard to push it down, so now it's all bent, i tried it every way i could think of and i've shredded the rubber around the filter from trying to twist it on. i took the metal tightening clip off (which wasn't on tight before anyone says) and eventually got it on, then put the clip back on and it took forever to tighten it up! then i tried putting the filter inside the large carbon heatshield, and it doesn't even fit, so i had to get the stanley knife out and shave some carbon off. It is so un user friendly.
I followed the instructions but i've gotten stuck on the bit where you remove the whole filter unit from the battery, i undid the screw which is the allan key shape one??? but i can't get it out, it just keeps spinning around, i tried the pliers and still couldn't pull it out, what am i doing wrong? also the filter unit is connected with something else it's not just one screw, but doesn't mention anything in the instructions about this, how do i get it off? it's on on the right hand side of the panel filter bit.

someone please help, thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
ok i've done it now, the airbox is connected to the battery with 2 more clips, you have to yank at it for it to pop out. would have been nice for carbonio to include this in their instructions...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
scottyroc said:
oh really sorry donnie, only just seen this post...otherwise would have told you that they're are kind of rubber grommets..

Glad your sorted..:thumbup:
oh now he tells me, sheesh :p :lol: not to worry m8, got there in the end. haven't really noticed any difference with it on, i think there is a slight difference in sound, mainly the woosh as the air is sucked in. I'm sure it has helped the engine in someway considering how many twists/turns and obstacles the oem airbox has in it LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
imitebeurda said:
Once we had left it idling for 10 minutes we took it for a blast. Must say there is huge amount of extra power, a big difference is the throttle response. The car picks up so much quicker. Great!! Not much, if any extra noise which is good. All round a simple install, looks good and works!!
What figures did you get on the power after fitting? It's probably a false sense you're getting with a huge amout of extra power. I'd think their was a nice little gain but I can't see it being too noticeable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,729 Posts
runmcleod said:
imitebeurda said:
Once we had left it idling for 10 minutes we took it for a blast. Must say there is huge amount of extra power, a big difference is the throttle response. The car picks up so much quicker. Great!! Not much, if any extra noise which is good. All round a simple install, looks good and works!!
What figures did you get on the power after fitting? It's probably a false sense you're getting with a huge amout of extra power. I'd think their was a nice little gain but I can't see it being too noticeable.
Thread is nearly three years old and imitebeurda hasn't been online for a year and a half. I wouldn't be waiting with baited breath for a reply if I were you...
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top