Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The standard location for the ACC button is fine if your car is a left hand drive but not so great for us in the UK as you can't see very well if your in 1st or 3rd gear. So it's quite handy to move it to the right so that you can get to it and see very easily.

MATERIALS REQUIRED
1x flat plastic trim tool
1x sharp stanley knife
1x torx driver

1. Use the trim tool to level up the gear gaiter surround and pull it up to reveal two torx bolts. Un-screw these and lift up and pull out the storage tray/ashtray unit.

2. Disconnect the ACC button from it's cable and pop it out of the housing. Beware of the metal clips these can easily fall off (they aren't hard to put back on but make sure you don't loose them).

3. In order to get the ACC button to fit you need to shave a plastic fin off of it using a stanley knife as each button in this row is designed to go into only one specific slot. This is dead easy but be careful you don't cut yourself.

4. Now simply do the steps in reverse to put everything back together again and you're all done.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Nice one. Can't beat having someone who's done it before showing you how to do it - minus the hassles and mistakes.
Thanks, when my Roc finally arrives that sounds like a sensible job to tackle early on.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ed, in the R32 trim guide i added a picture of where to shave a notch in the button surround. May be handy if you'd like to ad it in. Great guide by the way, the button is in a stupid position for RHD cars!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wondered why you'd left your ESP button all the way over to the left. That was until i took a close look at mine and noticed the rounded corners on the left hand edge....bugger!

I decided to move it to the other end, and just live with the text being upside down as I'd prefer to make it easier to press in favour of easier to read. Anybody come up with a better idea?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spydoor said:
I wondered why you'd left your ESP button all the way over to the left. That was until i took a close look at mine and noticed the rounded corners on the left hand edge....bugger!

I decided to move it to the other end, and just live with the text being upside down as I'd prefer to make it easier to press in favour of easier to read. Anybody come up with a better idea?
Suppose it depends on how often you actually need to press that button. I never turn it off. Particularly when you consider that you can't actually fully disable ESP. So in my case, I'd rather have it on the left than upside down.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I Have had it on two cars now and leave it on. It is really easy to spin the wheels with it off. Used to do it all the time in my golf. Cost a fortune in tyres.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Bit late with my pics but moved it yesterday and never broke anything for once woohoo :lol: :clap:
Great wee mod and thanks Mr Ed for posting it. :thumbup: :geek:

PS you don`t want to move the ESP button as the left edges are smoothed/rounded and would look out of place putting it elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I know its an old thread but ive just used it to move my acc button, went as straightforward as the guide with the execption of one of the silver retainers that are on the side of the switch fell out and it was a pig to get back in. it was the silver bit on the switch that you can see in this picture

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not at first but give it time. (I had the same opinion when I first got the car). Once you have a proper play around with it you'll feel the difference. It's a bit like buying your first HD telly though. It's pretty good but not as huge a difference as all the hype would make you expect.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.