Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is a quick guide to the painting of the "a-pillar" inserts in your centre console. These are black plastic and a dimpled texture the same as the rest of the console. This is a great and simple mod and really brings the centre of your dash some much needed "bling" It also carries the triangular door handle theme throughout the rest of the car.

The pillars can be removed quite easily with the plastic tool used for many mods (see ED's guide on moving the ACC button) and available from VW for a few pounds.

The pillars are just clipped in and come out quite easily, they have a number of tabs located round the edges, as can be seen in this picture.

Once removed use a medium wet and dry paper and carefully sand the surface working your way down through the grades of paper to achieve a suitably smooth feel. This will take some time and patience (I did it over 3 nights sitting watching the telly.)

Getting an exact colour match is almost impossible, after a lot of trial and error Candy Monster was able to deduce that "mercedes silver" is the best match for silver. Although not exact you can see this in the next pictures........

Once removed, and sanded, use a plastic primer to provide a base, 3 coats should be sufficient. After each coat is dry give it a light going over with very fine wet and dry, then wipe with a baby wipe to degrease.

Once primer is applied and hardened repeat the process applying 3 coats of the mercedes silver paint, again a light sanding and degreasing after each coat (apart from the final coat!!)

Once the paint has hardened apply 3 coats of lacquer. Once dry the pillars clip straight back into place......and Bobs your uncle!!

And one to show the contrast against the door handles................

I would like to thank and credit Candy Monster for this idea, and explanation. I did this after seeing his results and was chuffed with how it turned out. :thumbup:

The primer, paint and lacquer are all available in Halfords (approx £5 for each can) you can also buy a "variety pack" of wet and dry there too for £3 or £4.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Good guide Da. Meant to do a proper guide for this ages ago but forgot so thanks :thumbup: . Hope you dont mind a few comments (thought others may find these helpful).

1.The exact paint colour I used was mercedes 'brilliant silver'.

2. In terms of sanding, i'd recommend working down through the grits of wet and dry to prevent leaving and grouves in the paint finish. It was a long time ago but i think i used 240 to start with, removing the texture, then went 400, 800, 1000. I have individual pictures of the process somewhere, i'll see if i can dig them out.

3. if i remember correctly it was grey plastic primer that i used.

hope this helps ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Evil Derboy said:
The VW paint colour for the standard silver trim in the car is called "High Chrome". Don't know why, as it doesn't look like chrome to me. Don't know what the paint code is but that may be a good starting point.
nah thats just the colour the parts use and its a rough guide to tell the different trims apart for ordering parts. Think Ryan had said it was possible to get a paint code. Might try my contacts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did I read somewhere that you can buy these already painted to match as a part from a special edition? If so has anyone got the part numbers? I love the look but don't trust my heavy hand with a spray can...or patience....if I read right thats 9 coats with sanding between each,! :thumbdown:

Posted from a mobile device via SciroccoNet Wireless

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Gronk said:
Did I read somewhere that you can buy these already painted to match as a part from a special edition? If so has anyone got the part numbers? I love the look but don't trust my heavy hand with a spray can...or patience....if I read right thats 9 coats with sanding between each,! :thumbdown:

Posted from a mobile device via SciroccoNet Wireless
Don't think so. :think:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Right, this is on my list, the results look great! :thumbup:

Quick question/advice on this most excellent How To -, ideally from those who have done it some time ago.

Once completed, how does the lacquer/paint take to removing & replacement the A-Pillars in future, as it is such a soft plastic? I will be doing a number of other mods around the centre console and I can see I will need to pop them out and back (though this will be done very carefully/gently).

In other words, should I plan on doing them after the other centre console mods are done? :think:

Thanks,

R

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.