Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Ive been obsessed recently with seeing what mpg I could get out of the 2.0tsi. My wife has a diesel galaxy and regularly gets 44-46mpg. Today I really went for it, commute today was 37 miles, so windows up (well, when not smoking!) and air con off. Managed a pretty respectable 45.1mpg. Was just wondering what others had achieved??

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blackroc said:
What are you guys doing to gain these sort of figures? Ive got 41mpg before but i was driving like Miss Daisy to do it! :shock:
2.0tsi....remapped......running in sport mode.....using super unleaded....no air con!!! I was "hypermiling" (no braking, no harsh accelerating, maintaining 55-60mph and freewheeling when possible) it was more just to see what I could get if I really tried!! :D :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
2.0tsi....remapped......running in sport mode.....using super unleaded....no air con!!! I was "hypermiling" (no braking, no harsh accelerating, maintaining 55-60mph and freewheeling when possible) it was more just to see what I could get if I really tried!! :D :D[/quote]

How much does air con affect MPG then?

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
nickp said:
2.0tsi....remapped......running in sport mode.....using super unleaded....no air con!!! I was "hypermiling" (no braking, no harsh accelerating, maintaining 55-60mph and freewheeling when possible) it was more just to see what I could get if I really tried!! :D :D
How much does air con affect MPG then?[/quote]
approx 10% its powered by the engine dont forget. even havin your radio and lights on will affect your MPG

·
Registered
261 Posts
sciroccorocket said:
nickp said:
approx 10% its powered by the engine dont forget. even havin your radio and lights on will affect your MPG[/quote]

Hmmm as much as that?
This is the first car I've owned with AC and I really like it. I've been driving with it on practically all the time since the car but have also been a bit disappointed with my MPG at times.
Time to experiment and drive with the AC off for a while I think.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
nickp said:
sciroccorocket said:
nickp said:
approx 10% its powered by the engine dont forget. even havin your radio and lights on will affect your MPG
Hmmm as much as that?
This is the first car I've owned with AC and I really like it. I've been driving with it on practically all the time since the car but have also been a bit disappointed with my MPG at times.
Time to experiment and drive with the AC off for a while I think.[/quote]
hmmmmm yes 10% if your getting 30mpg you should gain another 3 mpg with the aircon off ie 10%

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeh I wouldnt have the air-con on unless really necessary, the difference in MPG is frightening on a long journey :shock: :shock:

For the money you would waste on fuel you could bung your mate a tenner on a hot day to sit beside you with a fan, or buy a 2nd jumper for winter journeys :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
i tried today to see what mpg i could get 3 of us in the car tesco 99ron 30miles of country roads 45.5mpg no aircon by the way, i also went for a play on my own the other day 40miles of cumbria's finest back roads and returned 18mpg, but that was tyre squealing fast, on that note does anyone else get tyre squeal at the limit, im on pirelli tryes

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sciroccorocket said:
i tried today to see what mpg i could get 3 of us in the car tesco 99ron 30miles of country roads 45.5mpg no aircon by the way, i also went for a play on my own the other day 40miles of cumbria's finest back roads and returned 18mpg, but that was tyre squealing fast, on that note does anyone else get tyre squeal at the limit, im on pirelli tryes
Tyre squeal? Yep, but I just cant seem to get the power down. Unless the road is bone dry the wheels just spin like mad with any throttle at all. The other night I was at 65mph, dropped her down a couple of cogs and planted it. Good grief I was spinning the wheels at 70mph!!! Fair enough the dual carriageway was damp, but its a but frustrating!! :evil:

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
imitebeurda said:
sciroccorocket said:
Tyre squeal? Yep, but I just cant seem to get the power down. Unless the road is bone dry the wheels just spin like mad with any throttle at all. The other night I was at 65mph, dropped her down a couple of cogs and planted it. Good grief I was spinning the wheels at 70mph!!! Fair enough the dual carriageway was damp, but its a but frustrating!! :evil:
what i was meaning was tyre squeal cornering right at the limit

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sorry to drag this thread up again - but just completed my first decent run in the car. 300 mile round trip.

Outbound: 40.3mpg doing 70 - 75 most of the way; no air conn
Inbound: 39.6mpg doing 70ish most of the way, air conn on medium.

Given the size of the engine, these were most impressive and it was generally a very pleasant drive. The return journey was more traffic full so I think that didn't help with efficiency.

Cheers, Tim

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
timperrett said:
Sorry to drag this thread up again - but just completed my first decent run in the car. 300 mile round trip.

Outbound: 40.3mpg doing 70 - 75 most of the way; no air conn
Inbound: 39.6mpg doing 70ish most of the way, air conn on medium.

Given the size of the engine, these were most impressive and it was generally a very pleasant drive. The return journey was more traffic full so I think that didn't help with efficiency.

Cheers, Tim
not bad going tim :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.