Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sciroccorocket said:
i looked at the A3, Golf, A4,beemer 1 series and the Leon cupra, i think that was all i looked at :lol: no hang on the Skoda VRS aswel, dont go away im still thinking :!:
got it a mini cooper, trouble with the mini was the kids didnt fit in the back daughters 15 and 5'9" and my boys 12 and 5'7", still thinking by the way watch this space

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I didn't test drive or seriously look at anything else. Coming from a Mk2 TT I wanted the next best thing. Roc has the same engine,comes from the same stable and is another coupe. Add to this that it's still fresh and new. Not much else out there that can compete with it. Things that I also looked into but never actually followed up on:

Mazda RX8:
Uses far to much petrol. I'm a big fan of the Wankel rotary engine but it doesn't produce much torque and it uses lots of oil as the rotor tips in the engine block are constantly coated with it.

Astra VXR
It's a Vauxhall and it's about to be replaced.

Focus RS / ST
It's a Ford and it's not classy enough. Too much of a hooligans car.

Seat Leon Cupra
Just not up to standard. Cheap styling and interior

Civic Type R
Looks like a spaceship inside and very nice outside. Very common on the roads. Very harsh ride quality apparently and not as much fun as the previous version. This was the closest contender to the ROC

Audi TT
Did consider another TT but I'd never buy the same car twice. Also fancied something with rear seats that you can actually use.

Mini Cooper
Too small. Cheap shiny plastics inside. Girls car really...(sorry Rocket!)

A3
Had one before. Nice enough car but a bit boring and non-descript.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My girlfriend wanted a convertible as it was her car we were replacing so looked at A3 and BMW 1 series cabs. Then she liked the 1 series coupe but I wasn't convinced a BMW badge justified the price they charged for them.

So I whisked her off for a romantic afternoon at VW with a Scirocco and that was it.... deal done! ;) Think she loves it even more than me.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I had done the mid-life crisis (Z4 roadster & renault megane cc) and was sick of "rep cars" (passat/BMW 5-series/Audi A4/renault laguna) all those in the last 7 years.

In my youth (before kids/wives (on my 2nd :shifty: :crazy: )and mortgages) I had xr2i's and peugeot 205 1.9GTI's and wanted a practical but sporty car. Originally I was going for the V6 Alfa Brera, but then drove the roc and that was it......... :thumbup:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Wanted fun/sport car but there's not a lot of choice out there so Audi TT was the other option . Reason I didn't I always like to have different things to everyone else and there's loads of TTs in this area but I've only seen 3 rocs since Feb.

If money no option then it would've been a Mercedes

·
Registered
258 Posts
I looked at the Porche Cayman (would not be practical for daily commute, kids etc) and my local work rounds are not in areas i would call "safe" for this badge especially,

BMW 123 d se auto was not crazy about the shape but WOW what an engine. Had a demonstrator when i dropped my mums bmw for a service and loved the drive AND economy of this engine. Never get that together. Only thing that let it down was value for money and the shape/styling

Audi TT - really started off wanting one of these BUT test drive did not excite me as much as being in a Scirocco, even with the superior interior.

Mercedes E class coupe - this was my ideal choice being a newer car then the Scirocco BUT the wait would mean I would be without a car for at least 2 months, for anyone who knows me I would rather be dead! LOL

So Scirocco WINS. TBH I am glad I ended up where I did

·
Registered
600 Posts
I looked at the BMW 123d Msport Coupe but with extras it was looking at £27k - way too much for what it is. I was sold on the Scirocco as it looks classy without being boy racer. looked at all the cars you guys did though..Alfa, A3, Cupra etc.. they just didnt grab me when I looked at me like the 'Roc did ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
lol true that, isn't one mans care always a poor man's compared to another car. Truth be told in my humble opinion I tend to like going for cars that are unique and Scirocco fits the bill!

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Roc was the only new car I considered. Couldn't spend any more money and everything else out there seemed too normal for the money.

If I'd not bought a new Scirocco, I'd have bought a 2/3 year old Mk V GTI

·
Registered
258 Posts
Definitely, I would still choose the new roc against the new Golf gti, so New roc v's old gti is a given.

The only reason i would have gone for the Golf GTI would be for the 3 seats in the rear. But then thats why the Mrs was given the estate last year!

·
Registered
86 Posts
imitebeurda said:
greenstick, you made the right choice. :thumbup:
Yup, I think so too :thumbup:

biggest concern I had was headroom as I'm 6'6. I sat in a car days after launch but it had the sunroof, there was no way I could have coped with that. Dealer didn't seem to think there's be much more room in the standard car.

Fortunately, a drive in a standard car confirmed there was just enough room. I'm now hoping that it wasn't just the excitement of driving one that made me think it was OK.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welll.....thanks to the recession and tight contract whore costs...sorry "Hire" costs and shit residuals this was my list of cars....in order....

1. Focus RS
2. Focus ST3
3. Focus ST2
4. Leon Cupra K1
5. Astra VXR
6. Audi A3. 2.0 TSI Black Edition
7. Audi TT 2.0 TSI
8. Volvo C30 2.5 T5
9. VW Golf GTI

I couldnt get any of them as the contract hire leasing costs were absolutley ridiculous..........but guess what I fell in love with as soon as I saw it???????

.....yip the good ole Scirocco, so i suppose things happen for a reason. Just hope i won't be dissapointed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.