Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!

Was just wandering if anyone had managed to get their ipods to play through the car's sound system , via the cable in the arm rest?

I am having no luck , and the system keeps saying "no medium found". ive read the manual and cant figure out how to get it to work .

Has anyone had any luck with this ?

Would be good to hear from you , if you can help or can tell me what I am doing wrong !

Cheers

Scotty

·
Registered
454 Posts
Scott

You need to go in to the options in the stereo and switch AUX to on - it should then pick up your ipod through the media options. For some reason this is not switched on automatically. Once on you can select your view mode using the top left hand corner icon on the touchscreen.

Have a try

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I can get it to play through the Aux socket ok , but its through the media socket in the armrest that I cant seen to get to work.

I think its because I am missing an Ipod cable from VW ? Ive tried using the standard apple cable but it doesnt work , gonna get in touch with my dealership tommorow as apparently two cables should be supplied , one usb one and one ipod one.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Back to VW I'm afraid as the Ipod cable does not work!!!

Surprised though as I was given not one but two different cables when I picked mine up. I would go back and kick the preverbial out of them till I got one for free. No point in having the connectivity if they don't give you the cable???

·
Registered
252 Posts
You get the USB cable as standard, plugging in an Ipod USB cable into this will not work; this is designed for USB HDD, Flash Drives etc

VW have their own iPod cable, dealers are also giving these with the Scirocco's as standard, if a dealer disagrees ask them to look it up on their "Desktop" system, an internal memo was sent out to all dealers back in August regarding this issue, regardless the dealer needs a reality check, your buying a £20+K car off them and they can't through in a cable that costs them £12.

When you have the VW MDI Ipod cable not only will connect to your ipod, but it will charge it at the same time and you will see your track names etc on the screen.

It says compatible with "All generations" of iPods, however I found this not to be the case with my 3rd Gen 40GB iPod, the one that was generally firewire based but also supported USB.

It works really well with the new Nanos.

FYI I've found this cable also works with the iPhone and plays music like it would with any iPod, however when you recieve a call, the phone switches from iPod use and goes into the phone and you can hear the ring tone through the car speakers as well as the person you are talking to. The only downside to this is, the phone is close to the arm rest so you need to buy a mic or shout.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The precise information you need...

iambu said:
Two cables should be supplied FREE OF CHARGE with the new Scirocco, no need to pay for them, although some dealers still don't know this is the case. Refer them to the following for confirmation:

Tell the dealer it was all clarified in a bulletin from Volkswagen to dealers only, using the ‘Desktop’ communication suite on Aug 14th; ref. no. 0510-08.

It is free and should be supplied with the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rehmondo (or anyone), can you clarify, about the cable in the arm rest as it is supplied. Can I plug in a USB memory stick straight into it with mp3 files on, then get track names and file lists etc on the radio screen?

My wife has decided that seeing as there is an SD slot on the stereo, she is pinching my iPod. I'm in the process of converting a load of music to mp3, I was going to put them on SD card, but can I just plug in a USB memory stick to do the same job?

·
Registered
283 Posts
bungle said:
My wife has decided that seeing as there is an SD slot on the stereo, she is pinching my iPod
good to see you wear the trousers bungle, you can use the usb for memory sticks etc, not tried a sd-hc card yet

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes is the simple answer, other people have also found ways to create playlist files with winamp and get the stereo to recognise it, but i think all the files have to be in the top folder, you can't split files into album folders etc

It will do it for you if you TAG the MP3 files correctly.

Same will apply to your SD card, although I've only ever tried it with a 128MB standard old SD card, I have heard there are some limitations with the types you can use and size etc I have yet to see an official spec online regarding what types of SD Cards are supported.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Got point, same with the HDD I had already formatted it to FAT however I had a bunch of ISO's and Exe's stored on it as well as my music collection and the thing just wouldnt work.

I then went back and formatted it again then only copied over my entire music collection and it worked fine. I had some annoyances with using the USB HDD, in the end I found iPod has been the best for my use.

I used to have pics on flickr of SD and USB cards in use etc, but they're long gone now, been replaced with more pics of my car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
With an iPod it will start the track from where you left off the next time you start the engine, I found with the USB drive it always went back to the first track on the list and not only that when I went from Radio to Media In, if I had been away for a while the HDD would power off, it wouldnt come back on unless I unplugged it and plugged it back it, this is a huge pain in the arse when you are driving.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well I hope I get the same service from the company I am using, as they are a lease comapny. I intend to use my iPod so they better give me a the right cables.

Looks like a TDi for me aswell instead of a TSi, cant get the TSi in on budget....test drive for me Sat I hope in a diesel, I do hop eit is not a huge let down

·
Registered
283 Posts
BigDawgBaker said:
....test drive for me Sat I hope in a diesel, I do hop eit is not a huge let down
i had an a3 140 tdi sport try it on last week on a series of A roads and dual carraigeway (a car i have owned which handles better than than the s-line), i know people go on about diesel torque but the tsi destroyed it in terms of acceleration and outright speed, needless to say such driving hits the mpg compared to the diesel, a few of us are noticing when you press on the understeer is more pronounced than a gti so would be good to get some feedback on the diesel given its a bigger lump, i know its a matter of budget and the company car issue comes in to play, mine was a private purchase and i still do 25k a year and went for the petrol, why, beacasue the sound it makes is fabulous :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts