Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone any experience of these on previous cars? I wanted to fit the panel filter rather than the full induction kit but am a little bit confused at some reports of the air flow meters being damaged by the oil in the filters. Seems to come from people over oiling the filter after cleaning them.

I've no plans to change exhaust etc so would you not bother?

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
BAIKAR, what car do you have? There is currently only a kit available for the 2 litre diesel (both induction and panel) the 1.4 and 2.0tsi kits will hopefully be released in the next month or so. No, I have never heard of any issues. K&N kits tend to come pre-oiled, from memory this lasts 50-100,000 miles (certainly I never had to re-oil a filter!!) So unless you are doing big mileage or keeping the car for a long time should not be an issue. Alternatively search on the K&N site for your local dealer, have them fit it and if and when needs re-oiled get them to do it!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imitebeurda said:
BAIKAR, what car do you have? There is currently only a kit available for the 2 litre diesel (both induction and panel) the 1.4 and 2.0tsi kits will hopefully be released in the next month or so. No, I have never heard of any issues. K&N kits tend to come pre-oiled, from memory this lasts 50-100,000 miles (certainly I never had to re-oil a filter!!) So unless you are doing big mileage or keeping the car for a long time should not be an issue. Alternatively search on the K&N site for your local dealer, have them fit it and if and when needs re-oiled get them to do it!!
i've a 2.0 tsi and you can buy a panel filter for them now. its the same filter as alot of previous vws

i have one in my garage which i doubt will be put on the car, i just don't want any bother

Where you from, i'm in Portadown

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
CTRnutter said:
Thats quite strange as mine goes in this afternoon to have the K&N induction kit fitted? :?
No induction kit for the 2.0tsi has been released by any of the major manufacturers. I want to fit one to my car and K&N, Pipercross etc have confirmed to me that as soon as they release a product they will inform me. Until then there is nothing on the market (unless you want to pay big bucks!!) if you know of something let me know!!

BAIKAR said:
i've a 2.0 tsi and you can buy a panel filter for them now. its the same filter as alot of previous vws i have one in my garage which i doubt will be put on the car, i just don't want any bother Where you from, i'm in Portadown
Hi BAIKAR, I am in Dromore Co.Down, work in Lurgan (so only about 8 miles from you!!) maybe arrange a mini-meet??

·
Registered
23 Posts
imitebeurda said:
CTRnutter said:
Thats quite strange as mine goes in this afternoon to have the K&N induction kit fitted? :?
No induction kit for the 2.0tsi has been released by any of the major manufacturers. I want to fit one to my car and K&N, Pipercross etc have confirmed to me that as soon as they release a product they will inform me. Until then there is nothing on the market (unless you want to pay big bucks!!) if you know of something let me know!!

BAIKAR said:
i've a 2.0 tsi and you can buy a panel filter for them now. its the same filter as alot of previous vws i have one in my garage which i doubt will be put on the car, i just don't want any bother Where you from, i'm in Portadown
Hi BAIKAR, I am in Dromore Co.Down, work in Lurgan (so only about 8 miles from you!!) maybe arrange a mini-meet??
Wasnt fitted yesterday but the kit has arrived today, I'll take some pics later for you when its been installed :cool:

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
CTRnutter said:
Wasnt fitted yesterday but the kit has arrived today, I'll take some pics later for you when its been installed :cool:
Please do CTR, possibly they are using a MkV golf or S3 kit and amending it?? Let me know what they did and if it is a straight fit post up the part numbers. Im getting a bit frustrated, every time I ring Im told "give us 5 weeks!!!" :x

·
Registered
23 Posts
imitebeurda said:
CTRnutter said:
Please do CTR, possibly they are using a MkV golf or S3 kit and amending it?? Let me know what they did and if it is a straight fit post up the part numbers. Im getting a bit frustrated, every time I ring Im told "give us 5 weeks!!!" :x
Think you might be right as I have been fobbed of by the garage once again that The order hasnt arrived, getting a bit tired of the excuses, especially as I cant find any sign that K&N supply a part!

not going to name and shame yet but I am leaning towards that if they are lying to me!

·
Registered
23 Posts

Ok so woke up this morn while the roads were quite and took the car for a good run, strangely enough the car seems to be doing more mpg. The most notable improvement is the turbo comes in lower down the rev range and it seems to come on stronger, now I can only assume this because it complements the re-map due to the higher boost pressure but there is noticeable improvement along with that any hesitation seems to have vanished, I would never have thought the standard airbox was causing this and originally I put it down to a characteristic of the DSG! My only concern is we are knocking on the door of summer and heat soak could well be an issue, so going to keep a look out for a heatshield

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... od=57-0618 link to 57i kit (what is fitted to mine)

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... 69-9756TFK link to typhoon kit

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wouldn't chance using an oil based filter......Used to have a Porsche 996 and my MAF sensor went down..£440 part!!!! and i was using the standard filter.

The Porsche forum was FULL of people saying DONT use them cuz the oil coats the sensor.

·
Registered
309 Posts
CTRnutter said:

Ok so woke up this morn while the roads were quite and took the car for a good run, strangely enough the car seems to be doing more mpg. The most notable improvement is the turbo comes in lower down the rev range and it seems to come on stronger, now I can only assume this because it complements the re-map due to the higher boost pressure but there is noticeable improvement along with that any hesitation seems to have vanished, I would never have thought the standard airbox was causing this and originally I put it down to a characteristic of the DSG! My only concern is we are knocking on the door of summer and heat soak could well be an issue, so going to keep a look out for a heatshield

how much was it including fitting thinking of getting it for my roc

·
Registered
23 Posts
scirocco1974 said:
how much was it including fitting thinking of getting it for my roc
I paid £87.98 for it through a tuner called CKS Performance in Watford, you might be able to get them to include fitting but I managed to do it in 20 mins and I am complete retard with a spanner, I think its thanks to VW making the engine bay idiot proof on our cars :)

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
stickyroc said:
I wouldn't chance using an oil based filter......Used to have a Porsche 996 and my MAF sensor went down..£440 part!!!! and i was using the standard filter.

The Porsche forum was FULL of people saying DONT use them cuz the oil coats the sensor.
A lot of guys say that VAG engines in general do not like K&N filters as the oil coating plays havoc with the engine management after a while. I havent seen any issues personally with any K&N I have fitted to a VW, albeit the longest I had the car after fitting was 6 months!! :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Going back to the orginal topic.... So I was looking at a pipercross panel filter what do you guys think. I've seen k&n get a bit of stick on here. Will this one have the same problems?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yep think so. Just getting bluefin soon but can't pay for a full intake at the mo. Just looking at the options. Think I might save up?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
daz_pd said:
how you getting on with the K&N? I have one of these sitting , but didnt want to fit it as I was afraid of Heatsoak...
If its just a panel filter you won't get any more heatsoak than you would with the normal factory filter as the airbox is the same. If it is an induction kit with a cone filter then you may get some heatsoak but not a drastic amount.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.