Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone agree with my thought that the leather option in the Scirocco (great car) is not very good quality and at £1500 (incl heated seats) poor value for money? I have had a demo in a 1.4 and 2.0 litre both with leather and had to look twice to confirm it was leather rather than cloth. I am used to Audi nappa leather (£1200 extra) and it is streets ahead in terms of both appearance and quality. On a postive note, I think the merlin cloth looks fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are the cloth seats basically the same as the leather seats? just without leather? Would like the leather option but seems expensive, but they do seem nice and big and supportive and comfy. just wondering what the differance is.. the cars I have seen in show rooms all have leather.

·
Registered
283 Posts
tallguy, on the audi you also have to tick the box for heated seats and lumbar, both or which come with the leather option on the roc

·
Registered
454 Posts
Tallguy - I would agree that the option is expensive but I think the quality is good. I have sat in a few with cloth and IMO it just doesn't have the same feeling as with the leather.

I have found the seats very comfortable and on a long trip to Scotland I arrived after 5 hours behind the wheel feeling as though I had just got in the car. :D

End of the day it is down to personal preference and overall cost issues but I am glad I ticked the box.

Roc On!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
tallguy said:
I have had a demo in a 1.4 and 2.0 litre both with leather and had to look twice to confirm it was leather rather than cloth.
Whether it's worth the extra is up to your own preferences, and one can argue about the quality (I think its great) but to say you cannot tell the difference between leather and cloth is ridicules...

·
Registered
14 Posts
For me the leather looks nice but its just too expensive.

I went for a test drive over the weekend, they had both leather and cloth. I went thinking i'd brake the bank to get the leather as ive always had it. But after seeing the cloth, i think im going to spend my 1.5k on other bits n bobs. I think the leather looks more expensive but imo the cloth looks 'sportier' somehow...

I think when you come to sell the Rocco, leather will be easier to shift but if your leasing etc (like me) cloth all the way...

G

·
One thing that is a bit cheapo is the fact they skimped on putting leather on the inside of the seat (between the seat and centre console). You don't notice it with black so much but i have the truffle and think it spoils it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I personally think that the merlin cloth option is one of the better cloth interiors I have seen on a VW. I feel it gives the interior a nice sporty look!
Which is the intention!
I know the cloth version was not heavily publicised on the launch and I feel that the leather option was pushed by the dealers when orders where placed
:)

G

·
business manager said:
kianok said:
I think like the r32 leather will we the sort after option for 2nd hand buyers.

My biased opinion :D
lol in my opinion its no r32, no replacement for displacement
No its not. But since it's rare 2nd had buyers will seek out leather, probably DSG too....

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Leather for me was a must... Original Mk1 Storm had leather and i've longed after mine ever since that tree jumped out on it!!

Also, as I'm getting on a bit now the electric lumbar was a must have, I had manual lumbar on a number of other vw's and it never really quite hit the spot or done the job, but the electric kit in the rocco seats is outstanding and makes for a very comfortable long distance ride leaving my back relaxed and supple even after 5-6 hours in the seat. Yes it is expensive but when you could potentially spend 1/3 of your day in the saddle would you buy a cheap one, same logic as a mattress for the bed, you go for the best you can afford.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Im impressed with the merlin cloth, far better than the interlagos in the mk 5 GTI, much more hard wearing, and the bolsters are standing up well to my ar*e wear!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts