Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does a modified car compare against a standard version.

If i was buying a second had car i would always rather go for a standard car.

Would you buy a modified car?

·
Registered
153 Posts
it depends on what's been done to it...

If it say had lowering springs / decent exhaust then probably as these are fairly minor things and probably on the list of most Roc enthusiasts. However, modding for personal tastes, no matter how tasteful may not always been to everyone's liking.

I guess the overall answer is yes as long as the mods can be removed... oh and it's a good price!

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
If I could find the right car modded I would definetely buy it! Save me a bloomin fortune!! :D 2 cars I have seen I wouldnt hesitate to buy if I was still looking Ryan Cooke's white 2.0tsi (see the market place section of the forum) and the RC280 by nicheconversions that is now for sale for just over £20K (www.nicheconversions.com) both are a bargain!! ;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Its a tricky one, because normally you want to buy a car thats been looked after and you feel hasn't been thrashed etc. Theres a good chance that if a car has a big exhaust / intake / lowered etc, that the owner has been caning it! Having said that - if you buy a 'sports car' there is a very good chance that its been hammered anyway - as thats what they're designed for.
I suppose it depends what you want it for. Some people would be delighted with a car with the above mods, as it would save them fitting them themselves... and save a few quid. I think generally though, the majority of people would opt for a standard car before a modded car.

The other thing is that you never get the value of the mods back when selling a car... so you're probably better taking them off and selling them seperately anyway - and selling a standard car!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think there is little doubt the great majority of prospective buyers would play safe and go for an unmodified car. As a result my hunch is a modified car is worth less than a similar standard car.
If you want a hot Scirocco and do not want to lose a packet go for the R!

·
Registered
411 Posts
tallguy said:
If you want a hot Scirocco and do not want to lose a packet go for the R!
My sentiments exactly!
Its funny how many people say 'why don't you buy a GT and remap /exhaust / air filter /lower etc instead cause it'd be cheaper' when I tell them I've put a deposit on an R though!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I wouldn't buy a modified car myself but I have done in the past. If you modify your car, when it comes to resale you restrict the number of prospective buyers and you may find the sale is a long process and you'll have to take below market value.

Knowing this when I was younger I purchased a few modified cars. Reasons being I got them for a good price and the mods are probably something I would have ended up spending the money on later anyway.

If you are modding a car though,keep all the receipts to show it's been done professionally.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The killer in terms of less than 3 year old modified Sciroccos must be the manufacturer's warranty. Without being too cynical, I can imagine VW blaming any problems on the mods (whether this is correct or not).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.