Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I've been browsing on this forum for quite a few weeks and occasionally throwing in my tuppence worth. I'm not technically minded therefore don't expect me to bail you out with a problem (I'll leave that to 'da') :lol: There are some fantastic photos of cars on the forum (well done everyone). While reading the technical and modifying forums it got me wondering that a lot of you are spending fortunes on accessories, chips etc. Which leaves me to ask the question, when you are due to change or upgrade will you trade in or sell privately. Would a dealer want a 'chipped' car, lowered etc.? I expect a private sale would attract 'boy racer's who would have you tortured and only called to have a 'rake' in a chipped Scirocco. Would you expect to get your money back on your modifications when the time came to change?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Ian,
I have been running around in numerous modified cars for years and to be brutally honest you will normally not get any of your money back on reasle unles you find a private punter who really really wants a modded car and hasn't got a scooby doo. I have seen many cars sold which have had £10 - £20k spent on them selling for not much more than the retail price. I also know that some dealers will take them, but some will even lower the price as they see them as a higer risk to add to stock given the potential for increased insurance and possible warranty issues etc.

Basically modding is a hobby not an investment, and the value of your investments can go down as well and down.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Short answer, no. I try and keep all of the original parts, springs, airbox, alloys etc and refit them to the car when trading in. Then I sell the tuning parts on ebay afterwards. Recently sold a set of wheels and various other bits and bobs from my last 2 beemers. Got £867 all in. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.