Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
waggers said:
Question for fellows members :- what is your opinion of mudflaps, do they spoil the lines of the car, are they effective or a bit pointless?
TBH I wouldn't care if they worked or not they look tacky and naff IMO M8.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have them and they do work pretty well, yes the look tacky in photos but until you see them fitted on a car in front of you then you will see they blend in quite well behind the tyres.

If you decide to lower your car then don't bother buying them as they will have to be taken off.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I have them on my car, and mine is lowered, I think they work and look fine. As I have mentioned elsewhere a lot of stonechips on cars are caused by other drivers without flaps. If everyone had them I would spend a lot less time with the touch-up stick!!

Here is mine with the flaps...........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had some fitted (front and rear) and they seem to work fine. The rear of the car doesn't seem to get as dirty in rainy conditions. They are though ridiculously expensive! :thumbup:

·
Registered
372 Posts
northernscirocco said:
Just been a recent post on here re the damage caused by dealer fitted mudflaps. Had toyed with the idea of them 'till I saw that. :naughty:
Yeh stop a bit of mud going up the side of the car or rub the paint of and have potential rust issues !!, i know what i will be doing

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Yea I toying with the idea of them on the rear they look alright, there not an I saw, I think I could fit them my self without the dealer de assembling the entire car, and then recommending brake pads and front tyres lol :lol:

·
Registered
698 Posts
I had thm fitted to the MK5 Golf, and it was possible to fit them without taking the wheels off, you just need to adapt your tooling. I used a 3/8" socket arm, the appropriate torx bit and a socket small enough to snuggly take the torx bit - just enough room between the wheel and the arch to get the socket arm in (fronts are easier when you put steering to full lock. Would I buy them for the Roc? Nope - £150 for the set??? The MK5 Golf ones were £56 for the set of 4.

I can report that I don't have stone chips all up the side of my car (as VW used to claim mudflaps helped prevent).

·
Registered
3 Posts
As I said before, I've had front and rear fitted to mine. The dealer assures me that no drilling of the metal bodywork is involved. They utilise existing screws in the wheel arches, the only other hole drilled is under the rear bumper which is of course plastic. No damage should be done to the car that could entail rusting.

·
Registered
372 Posts
^^, tell that to this owner post117071.html#p117071

They move about when driving etc and damage the paint under them !!, the only way around this i can see is by adding Helicopter tape (clear anti chip tape) under them when fitted, which the dealers dont do

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
lotuss2 said:
As I said before, I've had front and rear fitted to mine. The dealer assures me that no drilling of the metal bodywork is involved. They utilise existing screws in the wheel arches, the only other hole drilled is under the rear bumper which is of course plastic. No damage should be done to the car that could entail rusting.
Its no so much any drilling etc that causes the damage. It is where the mudflat meets the bodywork, grit gets inbetween and starts abrading the paint causing the damage.

Have a look at this thread, the pictures have disappeared but the explanation is there.

post117071.html#p117071

1 - 13 of 13 Posts