Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this ones for Rocket but for anyone else who's interested this is how I do a proper detail on my car. It's up to you what products you want to use as everyone will have different opinions on what they like best.

Step 1 - Wash
A lot of people use two buckets and grit guards etc. I don't really bother with that. But here's my method:
Hose down the whole car to help loosen any dirt. Then wash the wheels first using alloy wheel cleaner and a toilet brush. Then rinse. I do the wheels first as this stops dirt from the wheels getting sprayed up onto your freshly washed paint work.

Wash each panel at a time using a washmitt. Lambswool or a synthetic. This will stop you from rubbing dislodged dirt across the paint work. Instead the dirt will be trapped in the deep fibres of the washmitt . Rinse with a soft stream of water rather than a hard jet. This stops you from ramming dirt particles into the paint.

Step 2 - Drying
Don't use a chamois. It doesn't give you any protection and you run the risk of rubbing any dirt still on the car into the paint. Use something like a Meguiars watermagnet instead. It will dry the car quicker and protect the paint better. Use a spray and wipe detailing spray to spray the car (a panel at a time) when it's still wet. This will disperse the water quicker whilst you dry it.

Step 3 - Claying
Clay is like a bit of plasticene. You rub it on the paint and it drags ground in contaminents out of the paint work. Great for getting brake dust and tar off. Use the same spray and wipe product as a lubricant and clay each panel at a time. Using a circular motion (with just light pressure). If the clay starts to stick to the paintwork add more lubricant. When the clay gets overloaded with particles fold it over on itself. DONT JUST FLIP IT OVER AND USE THE OTHER SIDE! if you do you will end up with a bit of clay you can no longer use as both sides are loaded with dirt. Once you've finished give the car a quick wash again and dry it off.

Step 4 - Polish
If you have a light coloured car such as white then you very rarely need to polish the car as light colours do not produce the same depth of shine as darker ones do. When polishing do a panel at a time. Apply sparingly and then buff off. You shouldn't be left with a a big haze. If you do you are using too much and wasting product. The polish is rubbed into the paint to rub off the oxidised particles leaving the fresh stuff underneath. It's almost like sanding the crap off the top of your paint work at a molecular level. Imagine T-Cut but no where near as strong.

Step 5 - Glaze
I've never used glaze before but have finally found out what it's all about. It doesn't offer any paint protection but helps to create a shiny wetlook. Again it probably wont provide a huge difference on a white car or similar light colours. This should be applied the same way as the polish above and before the wax.

Step 6 - Wax
You can apply wax to the whole car in one go. I find that using a foam applicator pad rather than a cloth gives the best result and uses much less wax. This section shouldn't be labour intensive. If it is, your using too much wax. Wax is best built up in thin layers than trying to apply a thick layer in one go. Use it sparingly. You should be left with a very light haze that's easy to buff off. For best results apply a layer of wax on the whole car and then go do something else for half an hour before buffing it off. You can do this a couple of times to build up the protection.

That's it. Any other hints or tips or if you do anything differently feel free to post. :thumbup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Good post about the paintwork Evil.
So far I haven't gone to anything like that much trouble.
It's just been Autoglym shampoo and Super Resin Polish for me up til now but my car is only two months old and was sealed before I picked it up.
My problem comes when I get to the glass. No matter what I put on or how much elbow grease I give it I never seem to be able to get a perfect finish.
Even with Autoglym glass polish I seem to end up with smears. The inside of the Roc windscreen is a devil to get to too and is no fun if I have to keep contorting myself to go over bits of it again.
What product do you use on your glass? Is there a special technique?
I get the feeling I might be trying too hard.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use Asda's own brand glass cleaner and some kitchen roll. By the way remember that ever time you polish your car you're effectively removing the sealant as polish is mildly abrasive so you should use a polish that has wax in it or top up with separate wax every now and then.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
ED, I have always wanted to try "claying" a car, as apart from polish, wax etc the rest is pretty straightforward. Im not saying I have chickened out of it, but I never felt confident enough to pick up the clay bar. Can you reassure me that it is simple enough? :think:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I clayed my 7 year old golf, (100k + on the clock) a couple of years back, it had never been done.

Easy to use, just make sure you've enough lubricant on (either the sprays you can buy or a soap solution) you can feel the drag if you've got it wrong.

Car is black so didn't make a huge difference to the appearance, but you could feel that the paint was much smoother and the clay was filthy.

Worth doing annually I would say, possibly more often if you have a lighter coloured car (or enjoy polishing and waxing)

·
Registered
86 Posts
scottyroc said:
:shock: :wtf: you dont like polishing....what you doing on this forum...disgusting :shock: :lol: :lol:
Hi Scottyroc - I'm not saying I don't like polishing, merely suggesting that others may not be as dedicated to the cause :lol:

I've spent many an hour perusing http://www.detailingworld.co.uk

Don't get to do it as often as I would like, but I'm astounded how much easier the products from a lot of the less well known manufacturers is to use, with much better results.

Faves at the moment are DodoJuice and Poorboys.

I'm going to get the Roc professionally detailed when I get it (one of the guys from detailing world, hopefully) and try and keep up to it, as I'm not confident enough in my own abilities not to knacker it completely!

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imitebeurda said:
ED, I have always wanted to try "claying" a car, as apart from polish, wax etc the rest is pretty straightforward. Im not saying I have chickened out of it, but I never felt confident enough to pick up the clay bar. Can you reassure me that it is simple enough? :think:

it's really easy. Just use plenty of lube. You basically just glide it across the paintwork using only two fingers and light pressure. Imagine you were cleaning a blackboard with a duster. You'll actually feel the rough bits stuck to your paint.
it's really easy. Just use plenty of lube. You basically just glide it across the paintwork using only two fingers and light pressure. Imagine you were cleaning a blackboard with a duster. You'll actually feel the rough bits stuck to your paint. After claying your paint should feel as smooth as glass.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imitebeurda said:
Evil Derboy said:
it's really easy. Just use plenty of lube. using only two fingers and light pressure.
:wtf: :shock: :shock: :shock: :?

Sorry couldnt resist! :oops: What "lube" do you use and where can I get this and the clay??
LOL - Get the Megiuars kit from your local Halfrauds. It has everything you need in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.