Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few people do these recently so I thought; why the hell not?

Intro

I ordered my Scirocco November 2010 after MUCH deliberation. I knew I wanted one, I'd test driven the VW Scirocco and Golf but also the A3 and felt like the A3 was showing its age far too much. The interior was well made but bland and boring, plus it was also very expensive for what it was. It did feel more "solid" than the VW's, which were hardly lacking in that area, but precisely because of that it felt wallowy and boring.

So Golf or Scirocco it was!

At first I'd tried, and been very impressed by, the 1.4 160ps engine in both the Scirocco and Golf. The Golf was the more refined car and the space inside impressed me - especially in the boot which was of benefit because of all of my camping trips, but then I stepped into the Rocco.

It was lower, better looking and (it felt) faster and lighter. Again, the pracicality of it impressed - not as much as the Golf but the boot and rear leg room was WAY bigger than a TT I had looked into a couple of months before getting serious. I just wanted one. I can't describe why it was so much better than the Golf (for me), but it just felt like it held the road better, I felt more through the controls and had a better idea of where the wheels were pointing. The Golf was smoother and quieter which would have been great for a family. But I'm not a family, nor do I intend on being one in the near future ( :roll: :pray: I hope my missus doesn't read that). I'm after excitement, fun and speed but with a dose of practicality and decent running costs.

The next choice that came was the engine. The ones that interested me were the 1.4 160ps, 2.0 TDi 170 and the 2.0 TSi, however I was told to give the 140 TDi a chance.

The 1.4 160ps, was good, very good. Smooth and quick and according to the books, was frugal too. I later found out that the economy wasn't THAT much better than the 2.0 TSi in the real world, but the tax was much cheaper. The 140 TDi was next up, I don't want to slate it because it was a good car, but for how the car looks and feels; the engine just didn't match. It just wasn't what I was looking for. Then came the 2.0 TSi and 170 TDi. Both Excellent engines and the better fuel economy of the diesel nearly swayed me in that direction but I just couldn't be wrestled from that lovely blurble note that came out of the engine and the extra power that was obvious despite the best efforts of my dad trying to convince me that the TDi was faster by blatent and fake wowing in it, then when I was driving the TSi saying how "average" it was!

Any way, I chose the 2.0 TSi manual in the best colour they do Viper Green. I was so excited to pick it up, unfortunately I had the small matter of 5 months in Afghan to wait through before getting it! :thumbdown: Longest 5 months of my life!

Ownership

So there I was, the proud owner of my new Scirocco and it was perfect, it definitely wasn't going to get modded. Just some bulbs I thought and some blue-ish LEDs instead of the white-yellow ones.

Then I met Flux.

He promptly sold me the bulbs and introduced me to VAGCOM, a few changes later I was happy. Flux had then handed his car into Forge for some work to make it their "project car" and as a result he was selling a Pneuspeed P-Flo induction kit and the APR Stage II CF intake pipe. After a bit of persuasion and bartering between Flux and I, I bought them. Charlie helped me fit them, great fun trying to put the circlips onto a wine bottle only for it to fire off. Infact no, it wasn't fun. It was possibly the single most infurating and frustrating thing I've ever had to endure - and flux was the one doing it!

I was happy with those mods and I wasn't going to get any more this time. Definitely.

I then deployed to Italy supporting Op Ellamy and whilst sitting in my 4 star hotel, supping on perroni and munching on pizza, I got my dad to buy a very very well priced Scirocco R Gearknob from Northern Scirocco. I also bought gloss black inserts instead of the plastic silver ones from Derboy. These two small mods cost very little, but made the interior a much nicer place to sit. I'd thoroughly recomend them! Especially at the price I got them at! :thumbup:

My third tour of Afghan in as many years prompted some more money burning a hole in my pocket. With my hours in work with nothing to do, I started browsing Awesome GTi's webpage.

Flux also contacted me with the information that he was selling his Lullians. Now, I really liked this product, but never wanted to buy them because of all the problems that have occured with them. But now there were a pair for sale that had no history of faults and for a decent price too. Bought.

Next up was the Stage 1 Remap and Powerflex engine mount, as recomended by Scotty.

I started looking around this forum at peoples mods and saw the WALK Kit (Sorry Scotty, couldn't resist :twisted: ) This is also now on my list, but yet to get booked in at awesome as I have a few other things I'm keeping my eye on.

21st August 2012

In preparation for the Big Ol' Drive, I went to awesome for 0830 (what kind of idiot books themselves in at that stupid time) to find out that the WALK hadn't arrived yet as supply hadn't been great! So on went the engine mount insert then on it went to the rolling road and the remap. My run without the remap came in at 235 BHP! I couldn't believe it! After the remap it came out at 265 BHP! Well chuffed.

Went for a test drive around the roads by Awesome and couldn't believe the power the thing now had, it pulled a lot earlier until a lot later, the noise was ten times better and the engine mount insert, wow, what a difference. Big thanks to Scotty for that recommend. Only £30 if I remember rightly and it just makes you feel so much more connected to what the engine is doing - pure class!

So in total:

Scirocco 2.0 GT TSi, Manual in Viper Green.
Black Leather
Carpet Matts
Dynaudio Sound System
Kenwood CD/DVD/MP3 Nav System
Cruise Control
Flat Tyre Indicator
Parking Sensors
Winter Pack

Gloss Black Interior (Instead of silver)
Scirocco R Gearknob
Pneuspeed P-Flo Induction Kit
APR Stage II CF intake pipe
Lulian V4 LED lights
APR Stage 1 Remap - managed to get c. 265 BHP! The little beast was pushing out 235 as standard :thumbup:
Powerflex engine mount - thanks Scotty! Makes such a difference! You feel quite a lot of vibration through the car when it's accelerating, improves the whole "drama" of it! :thumbup:
WALK - Whiteline have been a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest, it's been on order since I wrote this initially (around end of June if I remember) and it still hadn't arrived today when I went to get it fitted! :thumbdown: Anyway, not fitted yet. :(

***** more pictures soon I promise! *****

Reactions: ScottyRoc

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been bored at work and been looking at wheels. I really like them, but at nearly 3k the'yre a bit out of my price range!!

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ScottyRoc said:
Would look dam sweet though. 20" :lol:
Haha,

Nah, I'd probably get the 17's or 18's. Would look awesome on some Bilsteins too. I'm just fed up of everyone with a VW getting BBMs, these looked a bit different. Shame they're so effing expensive. To be fair they are the Carbon varient, you can get the normal alloy ones for about £1500, but the CF just adds so much IMO. Would look awesome with the CF mirror caps and CF grill from parts4euro. It's just such a shame that I'm not a millionaire and can't afford the ridiculous CF prices.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
kianok said:
Richiehill1988 said:
Nah, I'd probably get the 17's or 18's. .
They would look dreadful in 17's.
...or 18s, or 19s, in fact just dreadful im any size IMO :sick:

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, I realised they weren't to everyones taste. I've updated my bit in the OP too. Had 2 of my mods done! :)

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some photos uploaded, more to come! :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts