Volkswagen Scirocco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VW Scirocco R20T Disguised as Racecar - Latest Nurburgring Spy Photos

Since VW will be debuting the Scirocco R20T at the 24-hour Nürburgring race on May 21st, it seems they've decided to keep the new sports model disguised as a race car until its first official unveiling then.

But in these pics the car has been spotted getting its road legs out on the streets near the race circuit, clearly with no roll cage and the rear seats still firmly in place. VW is getting cute with this teaser and it will likely have the desired effect of piquing enthusiast interest.

Different on this Scirocco version are the turn indicators merged into the headlamps, the larger roof spoiler above the rear window, a lankier front apron with big air intakes, and dual, fat exhaust pipes at each corner of the rear diffuser.

The Scirocco R20T will come with VW Group's long-standing workhorse 2.0 liter engine, this time spiced up to somewhere around 270 hp. Rumors have been whispered about a possible power output of 300 horses, to rival the new Ford Focus RS, but we will have to wait and see about that.

The VW Scirocco R20T will be unveiled along with an R20T version of the Golf as well, expected to have a similar, if not identical, powertrain configuration.

Article and loads more spy pics at http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090512.019 ... spy-photos

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
In those pictures I notice that it appears significantly lower than the standard GT, also if you look at the rear diffuser (between the twin exhausts) it actually looks unfinished, there is clearly no bodywork there. So it looks like there will be a new design rear diffuser. Also do you notice how different it is under the front bumper?? I know there is no fog lamps, but the design is different, its not the "honeycomb" effect, but almost slats!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Flux said:
So is the R20T, going to be an actual model you can buy from the dealership, if so any got any ideas on price and release dates?
We'll hopefully find out on the 21st, I reckon they will start it around £27-29K - I would have said £25K but with the new GTI being so expensive why would anyone get a £28K GTI (spec'd) when you can get the R20T for £25K.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if it markets for £25K (around my budget :D )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Flux said:
So is the R20T, going to be an actual model you can buy from the dealership, if so any got any ideas on price and release dates?
I was told a few weeks ago VW (not a dealer) that the R20T (or Studie R as he called it) would be released Jan 2010. Hopefully May 21st will be us some interesting news.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.